1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 05:59
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    So as long as they aren't family or friends you are happy to say that they are morally and intellectually paralyzed by their religious beliefs. Good to know.
    I have suggested that you are morally and intellectually paralyzed by your religious beliefs on the issue of whether capital punishment is morally justifiable on this Thread 174517 page 3. What does this have to do with my family?
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 06:02
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I have suggested that you are morally and intellectually paralyzed by your religious beliefs [b]on the issue of whether capital punishment is morally justifiable on this Thread 174517 page 3. What does this have to do with my family?[/b]
    You said that because my morality is guided by the Bible. Is the morality of your Christian friends and family not guided by the Bible?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 06:08
    You said that because my morality is guided by the Bible.
    No, I did not say it "...because [your] morality is guided by the Bible". People can go look for themselves.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 06:08
    Is the morality of your Christian friends and family not guided by the Bible?
    No more personal questions about my family and friends, thank you.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 06:10
    No, I did not say it "...because [your] morality is guided by the Bible". People can go look for themselves.
    In your opinion would anyone who is undecided on a moral issue be morally and intellectually paralyzed?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 06:15
    In your opinion would anyone who is undecided on a moral issue be morally and intellectually paralyzed?
    No. I am saying that I think you - that is, you specifically - you are morally and intellectually paralyzed on the issue of capital punishment having listened to the way you answered my questions on Thread 174517 page 3 onwards. Far from having some sort of absolute objective universal moral code that is superior to people who don't share your superstition, you seem to be morally hamstrung and incurious. You that is. I am talking about you personally.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 06:21
    No. I am saying that I think you - that is, you specifically - you are morally and intellectually paralyzed on the issue of capital punishment having listened to the way you answered my questions on Thread 174517 page 3 onwards. Far from having some sort of absolute objective universal moral code that is superior to people who don't share your sup ...[text shortened]... you seem to be morally hamstrung and incurious. You that is. I am talking about you personally.
    So anyone else apart from me who is neutral on the issue of capital punishment is not morally and intellectually paralyzed ?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 06:471 edit
    So anyone else apart from me who is neutral on the issue of capital punishment is not morally and intellectually paralyzed ?
    Not if they demonstrate some moral insight and curiosity into the dilemma and not if I sense a genuine and thoughtful moral struggle.

In you, I merely sense a determination to be a glib chip-on-his-shoulder jerk taking some sort of pleasure from being a bland pretentious robotic interpersonal conversational black hole, with nothing much original or thoughtful to say, who lacks common decency, and who probably hasn't really thought much about an issue as grave as capital punishment because he is a bruised and damaged manchild revelling in online disinhibition, rather than a thinker or interlocutor with any substance or sincerity.

THAT is why I think you are morally and intellectually paralyzed, and not because you are "neutral" in capital punishment.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 14:43
    So then you disagree with Brian Eno's quote?

Yes I think they liberate me from quite a few things such as the fear of death and the penalty of sin.
    And the thought that you may have to *shudder* think your yourself instead of surrendering your mind to the thought police of the bible.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 10:111 edit
    Not if they demonstrate some moral insight and curiosity into the dilemma and not if I sense a genuine and thoughtful moral struggle.

In you, I merely sense a determination to be a glib chip-on-his-shoulder jerk taking some sort of pleasure from being a bland pretentious robotic interpersonal conversational black hole, with nothing much original or thoughtf ...[text shortened]... e morally and intellectually paralyzed, and not because you are "neutral" in capital punishment.
    How can you believe capital punishment is always wrong without exception and at the same time claim that you don’t believe in any moral absolutes?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 10:561 edit
    How can you believe capital punishment is always wrong without exception and at the same time claim that you don’t believe in any moral absolutes?
    The reason why I don’t think my personal subjective opinion about the morality of capital punishment is a "moral absolute" is exactly the same as when we discussed "moral absolutes" before.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 13:16
    The reason why I don’t think my personal subjective opinion about the morality of capital punishment is a "moral absolute" is exactly the same as when we discussed "moral absolutes" before.
    Well keep shifting the goal posts like you always do.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 14:10
    Well keep shifting the goal posts like you always do.
    I haven't shifted them at all. My morality is subjective. I don't believe in "moral absolutes".
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 18:10
    I haven't shifted them at all. My morality is subjective. I don't believe in "moral absolutes".
    So if your morality is subjective, why would it matter if someone else was for the death penalty or if someone was neutral on the issue?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 22:46
    So if your morality is subjective, why would it matter if someone else was for the death penalty or if someone was neutral on the issue?
    It would affect how we would vote on the matter given the opportunity to do so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree