1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 00:47
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Do you want the full moon results or just the everyday varity?
    You are dodging a very straight forward and pertinent question.

If sometimes things work out the way you wanted or hoped, it is not proof that your prayers about those things have "worked".

So what do you claim is the 'rate of success' for your prayers? Anecdotes about coincidences and things turning out well do not constitute credible evidence.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 01:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are dodging a very straight forward and pertinent question.

If sometimes things work out the way you wanted or hoped, it is not proof that your prayers about those things have "worked".

So what do you claim is the 'rate of success' for your prayers? Anecdotes about coincidences and things turning out well do not constitute credible evidence.
    Ok I found my notes:

Full moon, 48.1%
    Cloudy, 51.8%
    After eating mexican food: 68.6%
    A good walk: 71.1%
    Hot bath with bubbles:78.8%
    A drive in my Mustang: 93.0%, with top down: 94.1%

That's the best I got for ya.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 01:22
    Ok I found my notes:

Full moon, 48.1%
    Cloudy, 51.8%
    After eating mexican food: 68.6%
    A good walk: 71.1%
    Hot bath with bubbles:78.8%
    A drive in my Mustang: 93.0%, with top down: 94.1%

That's the best I got for ya.
    You are simply dodging a completely pertinent question about the topic you yourself raised.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 01:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are simply dodging a completely pertinent question about the topic you yourself raised.
    Ya think?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 04:151 edit
    Ya think?
    How many of your 'answered prayers' can be explained by coincidence and the law of averages? Unless you can address this aspect, your evidence can hardly be seen as valid; indeed, it comes across as mere sentimentality or wishful thinking. Your dodging suggests to me that you already know that this is the case.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 04:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    How many of your 'answered prayers' can be explained by coincidence and the law of averages? Unless you can address this aspect, your evidence can hardly be seen as valid; indeed, it comes across as mere sentimentality or wishful thinking. Your dodging suggests to me that you already know that this is the case.
    My dodging you suggest nothing but my lack of interest in talking to you. I'm not going to answer you at all on this subject so go run around the block or something.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 04:43
    In Uruguay, a man named Luis was far from happy. Drug addiction, spiritism, idol worship, alcohol abuse—these were some of the things that made his life chaotic. Finally, Luis, completely frustrated, became an atheist. A friend gave him the book Life—How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? This resulted in brief contact with Jehovah’s Witnesse ...[text shortened]... that would actually answer prayers. There are millions of examples of the truth of this fact.
    Galveston, your threads serve 2 purposes, and ONLY 2 purposes:

1) to remind believers of what they already hold to be true (so a pointless outcome)
    2) to annoy anyone who does not believe what you believe (since you are trained not to give a satisfactory, or on target answer to your opponents lest they question you further)

In short, prayers don't work. You are not ready to hear why.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 04:58
    In Uruguay, a man named Luis was far from happy. Drug addiction, spiritism, idol worship, alcohol abuse—these were some of the things that made his life chaotic. Finally, Luis, completely frustrated, became an atheist. A friend gave him the book Life—How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? This resulted in brief contact with Jehovah’s Witnesse ...[text shortened]... that would actually answer prayers. There are millions of examples of the truth of this fact.
    What a sad view of God and prayer you have been indoctrinated with; the best hope a person has if they pray is that the doorbell will ring and a couple of your lot will be there to drag them into bondage.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 05:11
    Millions of humans throughout history will disagee with you. I have had prayers answered and no one on earth with any kind of doubt or scoffing can tell me differently....
    Considering that there are billions of people on the earth, your millions won't even win the popular vote. But the real question is, are you actually better off than the average person born in similar circumstances to you who doesn't pray? Do you have any way to give evidence that you are better off praying than not? Or are you just stating it as unsubstantiated opinion?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 05:14
    My dodging you suggest nothing but my lack of interest in talking to you. I'm not going to answer you at all on this subject so go run around the block or something.
    And yet you keep posting, galveston75. You just keep posting. Meanwhile my posts are not dodges or deflections, but are instead about the topic in hand.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 08:17
    Millions of humans throughout history will disagee with you. I have had prayers answered and no one on earth with any kind of doubt or scoffing can tell me differently....
    do you not feel slightly angry towards god that he answered some of your maybe 'less important' prayers and didnt respond to the 'very important' prayers asking him to save your sons friend?
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 11:12
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    do you not feel slightly angry towards god that he answered some of your maybe 'less important' prayers and didnt respond to the 'very important' prayers asking him to save your sons friend?
    Why should any human feel angry? We tiny little humans know so little in the huge picture of God and his workings.
    He has let us learn about him in the Bible on levels we can slightly understand but even in our best day we cannot concieve the might and wisdom he has.
    Humans try to bring him down to our level and complain about our plight in life and blame it on him. How juvenile and selfish.
    So that being said he does have a plan and it started the second Adam sinned and it is near it's complition as Bible prophecy clear shows to those who care to see it.
    This is where we have to wait and be patient and understand that his plans will work to perfection.
    We all sometimes pray for things we would like to see happen. Sometimes we do see a result and sometimes we don't. The Bible clearly says God does listen to prayers, but it by no means says they will be answered in a way we would like. We cannot see what God sees and knows. He is in complete control and will answer or not in accord to "his will."
    So no, what tiny little spec of a human should get "angry" at the creator of everything we can and connot see in the universe that we almost know nothing about? How foolish.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 11:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What a sad view of God and prayer you have been indoctrinated with; the best hope a person has if they pray is that the doorbell will ring and a couple of your lot will be there to drag them into bondage.
    What a stupid comment...............
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 11:511 edit
    Why should any human feel angry? We tiny little humans know so little in the huge picture of God and his workings.
    He has let us learn about him in the Bible on levels we can slightly understand but even in our best day we cannot concieve the might and wisdom he has.
    Humans try to bring him down to our level and complain about our plight in life and hing we can and connot see in the universe that we almost know nothing about? How foolish.
    So that being said he does have a plan and it started the second Adam sinned and it is near it's complition as Bible prophecy clear shows to those who care to see it.

Can't wait for that, God's going to come back and murder everyone on the planet bar the JW's. What a great plan that is.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 12:01
    Humans try to bring him down to our level and complain about our plight in life and ...[text shortened]... hing we can and connot see in the universe that we almost know nothing about? How foolish.
    we should feel angry because we have our morals, our sense of right and wrong. authority, power and intelligence do not mean exemption. we know god has infinite power, we know he can arrange the end of times anyway he wants, we know things do not have to play out in any particular way. there is not one logical reason a theist has come up with to justify answering some and not other prayers. jesus teaches that people should stand my their morals even if it means defying authority, imagine if this was all of one of gods little tests to see who truly stands for fairness and good morals and all those people who toady up to god willing to do whatever the bible says, justifying immoral acts in the name of god. if it was flipped and it was people like me who ended up in heaven and you guys willing to do anything for god ended up in hell, id still fight to have you lot saved. cant imagine you lot would put your neck on the line for us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree