1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 13:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    Who said that all who have claimed to be Christian have acted in a Christian like fashion? I suppose you could say that the early Chrisitians seemed to act in a Christ like fashion. They were persecuted and killed for their beliefs but did not strike back by rendering evil for evil. Then as the religion progressed others took it in a different direction vi ...[text shortened]... age, no matter how pure, can be defiled. However, this does not make the message any less pure.
    Rubbish.

Yeah, the chrisitians were once a persecuted minority. But once they gained power they turned right around and persecuted the new minority just as viciously. That is what any theocratic society is like, whether it be a Muslim one or a christian one. The only reason the christian countries are more tolerant these days is because the Enlightenment undermined those theocratic institutions and ushered in the concept of the secular state. If the christian churches were to regain their former dominant position in the western countries, you'd see the same litany of abuses all over again. Violence and the suppression of dissent are inherent parts of any theocratic society, no matter how "pure" their message is.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 17:141 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Rubbish.

Yeah, the chrisitians were once a persecuted minority. But once they gained power they turned right around and persecuted the new minority just as viciously. That is what any theocratic society is like, whether it be a Muslim one or a christian one. The only reason the christian countries are more tolerant these days is because the Enlightenmen dissent are inherent parts of any theocratic society, no matter how "pure" their message is.
    Double rubbish.

Does power necessitate rendering evil for evil? The early Christians did not do so. I conceede that rendering evil for evil occured later on in the movement and as I said before I do not defend such practices such as the Crusades and nor did Christ, so if they want to be called Christians then perhaps they should live as Christ.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree