1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 12:41
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Repeating incorrect statements doesn't make them correct.

You can believe your life has a purpose whether you believe in an afterlife or not.

You don't need to believe in God to believe in an afterlife.

And you certainly don't need a belief in God for a purpose.
    And you don't need a parachutte to jump out of an airplane...but it helps. 😀
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 20:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    Nice to see you join the debate Scotty, however, I won't let you just squeek by with your one liners without answering some questions first. So tell me Scotty, how does one arrive at a "meaning" to something without conscious thought? If there is no conscience thought, is there meaning to anything? And once conscious thought is snuffed out, how can there be meaning to your life?
    Who requires conscious thought?

As humans we have conscious thought (although that says nothing about how we got it). Personally, I use my conscious thought to define goals in my life that I would like to achieve. I would like to know more about this world, and pass that knowledge on to others, who can continue the learning and teaching, and hopefully make the world a better place than it is now.

I don't know why you have an emphasis on conscious thought though.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 20:36
    And you don't need a parachutte to jump out of an airplane...but it helps. 😀
    No. This is incorrect. You can very successfully jump out of a plane without a parachute.

A parachute just increases your chances of survival.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 20:59
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Who requires conscious thought?

As humans we have conscious thought (although that says nothing about how we got it). Personally, I use my conscious thought to define goals in my life that I would like to achieve. I would like to know more about this world, and pass that knowledge on to others, who can continue the learning and teaching, and hope ...[text shortened]... ter place than it is now.

I don't know why you have an emphasis on conscious thought though.
    The universe in and of itself devoid of conscious thought simply exists. It has no purpose and no meaning, rather, it simply exists. Those with conscious thought, however, give the universe meaning and purpose.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 21:25
    The universe in and of itself devoid of conscious thought simply exists. It has no purpose and no meaning, rather, it simply exists. Those with conscious thought, however, give the universe meaning and purpose.
    The universe in and of itself devoid of conscious thought simply exists. It has no purpose and no meaning, rather, it simply exists.

The same could be said of a house brick. Your point?

Those with conscious thought, however, give the universe meaning and purpose.

Yes, and that may be entirely the wrong thing to do. Personally, I give the universe no meaning or purpose, but my own life? Well, that's different.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 21:281 edit
    Yes, and that may be entirely the wrong thing to do. Personally, I give the universe no meaning or purpose, but my own life? Well, that's different.[/b]
    So the meaning of your life is but an illusion......that is if meaning in the universe does not really exist?
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 21:39
    So the meaning of your life is but an illusion......that is if meaning in the universe does not really exist?
    Not at all. Stop twisting my words.

My life means a lot to me. It doesn't make a whole heap for many other people though.

As for whether the universe has meaning or not is immaterial - my life can still have meaning for me, and for the people I care about, and who care about me.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 00:31
    Not at all. Stop twisting my words.

My life means a lot [b]to me
    . It doesn't make a whole heap for many other people though.

As for whether the universe has meaning or not is immaterial - my life can still have meaning for me, and for the people I care about, and who care about me.[/b]
    But when you say your life has meaning it is an illusion or at least in relation to the material world. The "meaning" only comes from you and your loved ones, not from the universe in which you reside. In essence, you could then say that your perspective is not based upon reality. Your meaning has no empiracal evidence, or at least as much empiracal evidence as I have for claiming there is a God.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 00:54
    But when you say your life has meaning it is an illusion or at least in relation to the material world. The "meaning" only comes from you and your loved ones, not from the universe in which you reside. In essence, you could then say that your perspective is not based upon reality. Your meaning has no empiracal evidence, or at least as much empiracal evidence as I have for claiming there is a God.
    Twisting again.

My life has meaning to me. That's the only person for whom it matters whether or not it has meaning for. The fact that my meaning comes from within (as does yours, although you'll no doubt deny it), it completely besides the point.

You seem to think that "meaning" is something physical. It is not, or at least it has no physical basis outside of potassium ions in your brain. God, on the other hand is either a force or has some physical basis, either of which should be detectable empirically.
  10. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 01:16
    Twisting again.

My life has meaning to me. That's the only person for whom it matters whether or not it has meaning for. The fact that my meaning comes from within (as does yours, although you'll no doubt deny it), it completely besides the point.

LOL you sound just like the theists that you love to criticize.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 02:27
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    LOL you sound just like the theists that you love to criticize.
    Strange that you chose to ignore the 2nd line.

There is nothing wrong with finding your own meaning in life - if you need someone else to do it for you, then your lost.
  12. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 02:28
    Strange that you chose to ignore the 2nd line.

There is nothing wrong with finding your own meaning in life - if you need someone else to do it for you, then your lost.
    you might tell yourself you have a meaning in life and i have my own meaning also. but in a way the only true meaning is to reproduce
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 02:30
    but in a way the only true meaning is to reproduce
    I don't think that's our "meaning", just what we do.
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 02:33
    I don't think that's our "meaning", just what we do.
    the purpose is to keep the species alive and the way you do it is by reproducing
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 03:18
    the purpose is to keep the species alive and the way you do it is by reproducing
    That's not the way that evolution works. It's all about passing your genes on, nothing to do with "the good of the species" - a concept that went out about 50 years ago.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree