1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 13:45
    Just a question for everyone else out there. Does your life have meaning? Well of coarse it does, you say. You have loved ones you care about, you have a career that is going some place etc. However, does this meaning extend beyond yourself? In other words, does your life really have meaning in and of itself or is this meaning merely an illusion based upon what you or others only percieve it to be?
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 13:55
    Originally posted by whodey
    Just a question for everyone else out there. Does your life have meaning? Well of coarse it does, you say. You have loved ones you care about, you have a career that is going some place etc. However, does this meaning extend beyond yourself? In other words, does your life really have meaning in and of itself or is this meaning merely an illusion based upon what you or others only percieve it to be?
    Your life is what you make it...it can have meaning or it doesnt...you decide....free will
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 13:59
    The meaning is based upon what I and others perceive it to be but I would hardly call that merely an illusion. Meaning is relative, there is nothing you can do about that. Theists often claim that a meaning based on God is somehow more substantive or meaningful or real but that is the real illusion.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:00
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    Your life is what you make it...it can have meaning or it doesnt...you decide....free will
    But if the meaning for your existence is ONLY what you make it, it has no inherent value, rather, such meaning could then be deemed illusionary. Once you perish and thsoe who care about you perish the meaning for your life also perishes. It begs the question if such meaning actually existed in the first place. If so, where did it go?
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The meaning is based upon what I and others perceive it to be but I would hardly call that merely an illusion. Meaning is relative, there is nothing you can do about that. Theists often claim that a meaning based on God is somehow more substantive or meaningful or real but that is the real illusion.
    Can you prove that is an illusion?
  6. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:11
    I try not to think about it. 🙁
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:27
    But if the meaning for your existence is ONLY what you make it, it has no inherent value, rather, such meaning could then be deemed illusionary. Once you perish and thsoe who care about you perish the meaning for your life also perishes. It begs the question if such meaning actually existed in the first place. If so, where did it go?
    You make a good point...i will ponder on it !!!
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:30
    I dont think you truly perish(such a harsh word) our bloodlines run on and on... my kids,their kids,and theirs etc,etc...
    We are all descendants from Adam...that was a long time ago... LOL 🙂
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:36
    Can you explain how you are using the word “meaning”? What does the word meaning mean to you?
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:40
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Can you explain how you are using the word “meaning”? What does the word meaning mean to you?
    The answer is in the question...🙂
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:53
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    The answer is in the question...🙂
    If meaning is used synonymously with understanding (e.g., this is how I understand the nature of my existence), then yes. But if he intends “purpose” or “value”—or something else—they are not necessarily the same thing.

What is the “meaning” of a symphony?
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 15:02
    There's no such thing as meaning, merely subjective, relative opinion. Does this matter? No, not really, just get on with it, SRO can be just as enjoyable.

Vistesd, have you read much on Camus' absurdity? I feel I may have a great deal of time for him.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 15:20
    Originally posted by Starrman
    There's no such thing as meaning, merely subjective, relative opinion. Does this matter? No, not really, just get on with it, SRO can be just as enjoyable.

Vistesd, have you read much on Camus' absurdity? I feel I may have a great deal of time for him.
    I tend, among other things, to Camusian absurdism—

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=64959
  14. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 15:36
    "Ultimately nothing has any meaning."

What does "ultimately" mean here, except judged from a particular perspective (and one of little or no practical value)?

What makes sub specie aeternitatis the most appropriate viewpoint to judge meaning and value?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 17:30
    Originally posted by vistesd
    The thought of us haveing "meaning" is purely subjective in nature. For example, what "meaning" does a rock have? It has no intrinsic value other than simply existing. However, relative to myself, that rock may have a great deal of value depending on what that rock may mean to me. For example, it could be made of a precious metal such as gold or silver.

Here is a question for you. What differentiates you from that rock other than you placing value on your life and those that care about you placing value on your life? Perhaps we could even find a rock that contains the same number of atoms that make you up? What gives vistesd greater "meaning" than that dumb rock?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree