1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 07:561 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    The only difference between what you are doing and what, according to you, Dasa is doing is that you refrain from insults and stating your counter-belief.
    I am not a religionist claiming to know what 'God's intructions' are, so to speak, and nor am I seeking to turn superstition and conjecture into some kind of 'code for living' that leads to some hypothetical form of afterlife or immortality. I am not abusing people for believing what they believe about themselves. Indeed, I constantly assert Dasa's right to believe what he wants to believe about himself; I merely object to his subjective assertions about my spirituality. That is a big difference, as divegeester points out. If you do not perceive that difference - or seek to trivialize it - then I don't think your commentary has much validity. No offence intended.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:01
    Originally posted by divegeester
    That is quite a big difference you state there.
    The point is that their arguments sounds like this.

Dasa: This is how everything works
    FMF: You are wrong
    Dasa: You are wrong because this is how everything works
    FMF: You are wrong. How are you wrong?
    Dasa: I am not wrong because I know everything and this is how everything works

etc
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:01
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Dogs, dogs, camels and asses are animals.

Animals do not engage in true religion or spirituality.

In fact they do not care for religion.

Also when you speak to them about God they do not want to hear.

They are interested in pleasing their tongues and genitals and sleeping and defending..

In fact that's all they are interested in doing for their e ...[text shortened]... ot want to understand God - are like the animals.

Would you agree?

Vedanta says they are.
    still going on about dogs, hogs, camels and asses? they may be animals, but every one of them is superior to you for they lack your inflated ego and self righteousness. they are closer to enlightenment than you will ever get on the path that you are on.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not a religionist claiming to know what 'God's intructions' are, so to speak, and nor am I seeking to I turn superstition and conjecture into some kind of 'code for living' that leads to some hypothetical form of afterlife or immortality. I am not abusing people for believing what they believe about themselves. Indeed, I constantly assert Dasa's right to be ...[text shortened]... rivialize it - then I don't think your commentary has much validity. No offence intended.
    I don't seek to trivialize it I just didn't wish to lump the insulting character(your claim not mine) of Dasa's post with the point I was getting at. In other words, I didn't want to claim your posts were insulting just that your argument with him wasn't going anywhere.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:05
    The point is that their arguments sounds like this.

Dasa: This is how everything works
    FMF: You are wrong
    Dasa: You are wrong because this is how everything works
    FMF: You are wrong. How are you wrong?
    Dasa: I am not wrong because I know everything and this is how everything works

etc
    Dasa believes that no one is "spiritual" unless they submit to the "authority" of the Vedic teachings. Do you think he is right or wrong, tomtom232? Are you "spiritual" or "not spiritual" according to Dasa's 'how everything works' theory?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:09
    I don't seek to trivialize it I just didn't wish to lump the insulting character(your claim not mine) of Dasa's post with the point I was getting at. In other words, I didn't want to claim your posts were insulting just that your argument with him wasn't going anywhere.
    Well It doesn't look like your argument with me is going anywhere, either. Do you think Dasa's posts are often insulting, yes or no? No need to obfuscate with stuff like "[it's] your claim not mine". You either think that many of his posts are or they aren't.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:11
    None of the "arguments" in this forum go anywhere - they just are.

However my view on the FMF/Dasa exchange is that FMFs effort to act as a foil to dasa's incessant proclamations of truth-holding and his fight to combat spiritual and intellectual dishonesty, is the only thing that makes having dasa here a worthwhile enterprise.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:161 edit
    So you don't see any difference between hectoring religionist abuse on a public forum, and someone rejecting abusive assertions of a deeply personal nature? Cannot people choose to (1) take exception to the presumption and insult in this public space; (2) ignore it; (3) assume a religionist mode [that one perhaps does not subscribe to] and conjure up/subscribe to dogma and superimpose it on everyone as some kind of counterproposal; (4) reply in abusive kind? Does it have to be (3) to float your boat?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    In what way do you think the incessant abuse is "fine"?
    In no way. what are you on about ,dear friend?
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well It doesn't look like your argument with me is going anywhere, either. Do you think Dasa's posts are often insulting, yes or no? No need to obfuscate with stuff like "[it's] your claim not mine". You either think that many of his posts are or they aren't.
    I wasn't aware I was arguing with you. Do you believe you are making progress with Dasa?

I am merely pointing out to you what I was trying to point out to him. You or I can not replace somebody elses belief with our own we can only encourage them to question their own beliefs in an effort to help them gain more understanding.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:23
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    In no way. what are you on about ,dear friend?
    It's what part of your incoherent pandering seemed to say. Doesn't really matter.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's what part of your incoherent pandering seemed to say. Doesn't really matter.
    Why bring it up then?

...friend?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:27
    I am merely pointing out to you what I was trying to point out to him. You or I can not replace somebody elses belief with our own we can only encourage them to question their own beliefs in an effort to help them gain more understanding.
    Are you new to the forum? I have never tried to replace anyone's beliefs with my own on this forum. I am not going to try to replace your beliefs with mine. I have never tried to replace Dasa's beliefs which include the abuse-strewn assertion that no one is "spiritual" unless they submit to the "authority" of the Vedic teachings. Do you think he is right or wrong?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:29
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Why bring it up then?
    I was curious to see if I was right about whether you'd stick by what you said or whether you'd go all wishy-washy when asked about it. Doesn't matter much beyond that. 😵
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 09:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was curious to see if I was right about whether you'd stick by what you said or whether you'd go all wishy-washy when asked about it. Doesn't matter much beyond that. 😵
    That's the BEST reason.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree