1. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 11:56
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I wouldn't be if I were you. Good works are also about 'intent.' (Do you have the inclination/desire to help others).

A simple test: a stranger falls over in the street. Is your instinctive impulse to go over and offer help?

From my interactions with you on this site, I am in no doubt that you would. Your desire is to do good works. You don't ...[text shortened]... o rush into burning buildings 3 times a day to prove it. - I don't think God is keeping a tally.
    Well said. God knows the heart of man.
    Those with evil intentions regardless of how much they profess their faith will not enter the Kingdom of God.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 14:01
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    A follower
    - has read the teachings of Christ
    - believes that He exists
    - believes that He will return
    - makes a genuine effort to follow his teachings.

Christ has given these kinds of followers the assurance that nobody can take them away from him.
    I totally agree with this.

Where I think you run off the rails is when you start making judgements about Christians that you cannot back up and have no idea if they're doing as you charge or not, but you just assume they are anyways.

There are, no doubt, Christians who make the same exact errors you try to paint everyone with, but I see no evidence that Christians here are doing this.

Maybe a little more unfounded love and a lot less unfounded hate is also 'following Jesus'.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 14:04
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    concern not worry. or something like that.
    "Don't Worry, Be Happy"?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 14:07
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I totally agree with this.

Where I think you run off the rails is when you start making judgements about Christians that you cannot back up and have no idea if they're doing as you charge or not, but you just assume they are anyways.

There are, no doubt, Christians who make the same exact errors you try to paint everyone with, but I see no evidence t ...[text shortened]... .

Maybe a little more unfounded love and a lot less unfounded hate is also 'following Jesus'.
    You are a liar. You need to read carefully what I write and talk less.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 17:31
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    These are some of God’s promises that have helped me through my darkest hours:

"It is the LORD who goes before you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or abandon you. Do not fear or be dismayed."" — Deu 31:8

"But You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory [and my honor], and the One who lifts my head.
    " — Ps 3:3

"The eyes of the LORD are ...[text shortened]... ldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
    Those are some great verses; thanks for posting them.

Psalm 27 is a great one too.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 18:04
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Those are some great verses; thanks for posting them.

Psalm 27 is a great one too.
    Complimenting yourself again ?
    😀
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 18:16
    Complimenting yourself again ?
    😀
    Trolling again?

I thought you were supposed to be living a sin-free life. How does bearing false witness fit into that? You can’t even avoid sinning in a chess forum lol
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 19:44
    Those with evil intentions regardless of how much they profess their faith will not enter the Kingdom of God.
    Thanks.

That is certainly the God portrayed in the Bible.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 21:17
    Agree, and you oughta be plenty worried about that, amigo.

But I’m glad to see you’ve moved off your salvation by good works alone malarkey.

Pretty soon, you’ll finally acknowledge that salvation is by faith alone.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 21:251 edit
    Agree, and you oughta be plenty worried about that, amigo.

But I’m glad to see you’ve moved off your salvation by good works alone malarkey.

Pretty soon, you’ll finally acknowledge that salvation is by faith alone.
    Faith alone is dead.
    Faith + works is ideal.
    Good works alone is alive.
    God loves righteousness and will reward all who practice it
    God hates evil and sin and will punish all who practice it
    Makes no difference who does it.
    Only the good and righteous will enter the Kingdom of God.

I have moved off nothing and have been saying the same thing for umpteen years.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '18 22:28
    Faith alone is dead.
    Faith + works is ideal.
    Good works alone is alive.
    God loves righteousness and will reward all who practice it
    God hates evil and sin and will punish all who practice it
    Makes no difference who does it.
    Only the good and righteous will enter the Kingdom of God.

I have moved off nothing and have been saying the same thing for umpteen years.
    <Only the good and righteous will enter the Kingdom of God.>

What makes one “good and righteous?”

<God loves righteousness and will reward all who practice it.>

How does one become righteous, amigo?

<God hates evil and sin and will punish all who practice it.>

Why are you using the word “practice?” If by “practice,” you mean regularly sins, that person has not accepted Christ into his or her heart.

If by “practice,” you mean committing a single sin, what was Jesus Christ’s sacrifice on the cross for?

<Makes no difference who does it.>

If it makes no difference who sins (atheist or believer,) why did you write that faith plus works is ideal? Why did you include faith?

<Good works alone is alive.>

What do you mean by this, amigo? Do you think good works alone are sufficient for salvation?

Think through your positions!
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 05:06
    <Only the good and righteous will enter the Kingdom of God.>

What makes one “good and righteous?”

<God loves righteousness and will reward all who practice it.>

How does one become righteous, amigo?

<God hates evil and sin and will punish all who practice it.>

Why are you using the word “practice?” If by “practice,” you mean regularly sins ...[text shortened]... go? Do you think good works alone are sufficient for salvation?

Think through your positions!
    Don't expect a response from him because I think even he knows his position is untenable.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 05:551 edit
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Don't expect a response from him because I think even he knows his position is untenable.
    He has interesting ideas concerning God, but I think it’s incorrect to say his views represent Christianity. He previously said (or very strongly implied) that atheists who did good works would go to heaven while Christians who either didn’t do good works or did very few wouldn’t.

No matter how many times I say it, he just doesn’t get that a true Christian would do good works due to the influence of God’s Holy Spirit indwelling them, and if they didn’t do good works, then they hadn’t genuinely accepted Christ. But a new Christian who died before he had the opportunity to do good works, like the thief on the cross next to Jesus Christ, is still saved based on faith in Christ alone.

He seems to be entirely focused on good works and “earning” his way into heaven, which makes a mockery of Christ’s sacrifice and God’s gift.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 05:56
    You are a liar. You need to read carefully what I write and talk less.
    Case in point.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 05:58
    He has interesting ideas concerning God, but it’s incorrect I think to say his views represent Christianity. He previously said (or very strongly implied) that atheists would who did good works would go to heaven while Christians who either didn’t do good works or did very few wouldn’t.

No matter how many times I say it, he just doesn’t get that a tru ...[text shortened]... like the thief on the cross next to Jesus Christ, is still saved based on faith in Christ alone.
    Yes I think like many people he has the inaccurate view (based upon scripture) that we can earn our salvation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree