1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 05:59
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Yes I think like many people he has the inaccurate view (based upon scripture) that we can earn our salvation.
    Yeah, I edited my last post to fix a typo and wound up adding a paragraph that said pretty much that.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 06:01
    Originally posted by @fmf
    "Don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Is this really a good way for human beings to live their lives?
    We should not conflate being concerned with with being worried about.

Of course, we should have goals and move for progress. However, we should not worry too much about it because what will happen will happen and we should just do our best regardless of the circumstances to do the righ tthing.

Honestly, this is a very helpful recommendation int he sense that we are talking about not beign psychologically burdened or overly invested in the world.

I believe it was actually an Islamic Sufi scholar that likened this world to a bridge -- and, unlike Italian cities in the renaissance, we do not try to build too much onto the bridge. We view it as a stage in life and then we proceed to the next.

Worry-free.

Like a boss.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 06:05
    I disagree. When you have no hope, concerted, proactive measures need to be planned and implemented in order to make tomorrow better, and the next day and so on. By contrast, Matthew 6:34 appears to give those who want to navel gaze self-pityingly ~ and maybe wait for "a miracle" ~ some 'holy' cover for their passivity and inertia.
    From my perspective I agree we have to have proactive measures to tear down strongholds that the evil one has placed in our minds.

2 Cor 10:4

The weapons of our warfare are not the weapons of the world. Instead, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We tear down arguments, and every presumption set up against the knowledge of God; and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 06:191 edit
    I could give an interesting illustration from my own life of what Jesus Christ is saying in the Gospel of Matthew.

When I was younger, I was pretty hard-pressed for money and was pretty much living off credit cards. The debt was starting to pile up and I was getting worried.

Then, a short time later, I was driving and stopped at a stop sign, waiting to merge onto a main road with heavy traffic, when another car struck my car from behind.

Because my car was in decent condition and not that old, the cost to repair a dented bumper and rear quarter panel and replace a rear brake light that had popped out was $5,500.

As the driver who was not at fault, I had the option of fixing my car or pocketing the check from the other driver’s insurance company. I chose the latter and the money tied me over a rough patch.

Interestingly, if the brake light had shattered, I would have been forced to fix my car and fix it in full (you can’t do partial repairs with insurance money; it’s either all or nothing.) But because the brake light had just popped out and still worked, I pushed it back in and put glue around it.

I obviously had no way of knowing or expecting I would get $5,500 from something like that, and my worrying turned out to be pointless.

BTW, the other driver didn’t hit my car that hard and neither one of us was injured.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Feb '18 23:58
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    "Don't Worry, Be Happy"?
    Its as simple as that. Its so powerful it'll change your life. Simple. honest. righteous. accountable to no one except yourself.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Feb '18 00:00
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    You are a liar. You need to read carefully what I write and talk less.
    Agreed
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Feb '18 00:00
    Complimenting yourself again ?
    😀
    Is this guy for real?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Feb '18 00:04
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    <Only the good and righteous will enter the Kingdom of God.>

What makes one “good and righteous?”

<God loves righteousness and will reward all who practice it.>

How does one become righteous, amigo?

<God hates evil and sin and will punish all who practice it.>

Why are you using the word “practice?” If by “practice,” you mean regularly sins ...[text shortened]... go? Do you think good works alone are sufficient for salvation?

Think through your positions!
    one makes oneself 'good and righteous' practice righteousness as you see fit. if its not right it'll bite you in the rear
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Feb '18 00:07
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    We should not conflate being concerned with with being worried about.

Of course, we should have goals and move for progress. However, we should not worry too much about it because what will happen will happen and we should just do our best regardless of the circumstances to do the righ tthing.

Honestly, this is a very helpful r ...[text shortened]... . We view it as a stage in life and then we proceed to the next.

Worry-free.

Like a boss.
    goals? like what?
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Feb '18 01:40
    King James Bible
    Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Webster's Bible Translation
    Therefore be not anxious for the morrow: for the morrow will be solicitous for the things of itself. Sufficient to the day is its own evil.
    I don't think the passage is saying not to plan for tomorrow. Just be calm about it, is all.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '18 01:47
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    I don't think the passage is saying not to plan for tomorrow. Just be calm about it, is all.
    Yes, maybe.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Feb '18 02:02
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Is this guy for real?
    He has several profiles. He discusses stuff with himself thumbs up his posts.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Feb '18 03:14
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    😀 yep, other than friends and families birthdays , xmas and easter, I wouldn't plan for more than 3 or 4 days max. Heck I could be dead next week.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Feb '18 03:191 edit
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    😀 yep, other than friends and families birthdays , xmas and easter, I wouldn't plan for more than 3 or 4 days max. Heck I could be dead next week.
    Oh and I have tickets to my 2 fave bands Primus and Ween on april 8th. Life is good.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Feb '18 03:20
    He has several profiles. He discusses stuff with himself thumbs up his posts.
    Its obvious now

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree