1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 11:23
    It seems that the ego keeps many of us trapped in defending our position. If I'm involved with a certain mind set or religion then it must be the correct one. The ego creates an illusion that blinds us to real Truth.
  2. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 11:25
    What kind of statement is that? What is the real truth to you- your real Truth might well be different to my real Truth.
  3. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 11:40
    Originally posted by buckky
    It seems that the ego keeps many of us trapped in defending our position. If I'm involved with a certain mind set or religion then it must be the correct one. The ego creates an illusion that blinds us to real Truth.
    That makes no sense whatsoever.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 12:02
    My understanding is that the closer you come to enlightenment, the greater your ego becomes. Until the "moment of great doubt" . Then it is extinguished.
    I believe satori means "extinguishment"
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 12:11
    Originally posted by lausey
    That makes no sense whatsoever.
    he is saying some people are reluctant to change because they feel a certain loyalty to their beliefs even if evidence proves to the contrary.

it does make sense just i don't see much debating potential in this thread
  6. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 14:39
    "I","me","my" are words that represent the predominant obstacle to Recognition because they continually re-inforce the concept of a bounded permanent "self" that is actually non-existent*. It could be said that until an absence of self (ego) is accepted we cannot begin to recognize the Reality.

But here words and concepts begin to fail, for if there is no self, who or what accepts the absence of self? Effort to let go of self only again re-inforces the problem. The Tibetan Dzogchen sages (and reflected also in Zen, Daoism, Shamanism and other mystic paths}, tell us it is best to neither cling to or reject such concepts, to abide in the Middle Way, and do nothing at all, not trying with moral improvement to reach anything, or practising sacred vows, rituals or meditational attainments on some gradual ascending path. Similarly, cherished self-binding conceptual understandings, of whatever degree of truth, prevent complete Recognition by the very cherishing.

This that we are is already That which embraces all polarities, including the personal and impersonal, and it has been thus from the beginningless beginning. Whether we even recognise it or not does not effect the Reality of it either. But it is nice to find out, very nice indeed.

But then "who" finds out?
    The sound of laughter echoes through the Emptiness.

Nirvana means to finally and ultimately "let go",
    as stepping out into the
    Openness of the Infinite Spaciousness,
    and simply
    being the moment of Now.
    [*We do have a functional,conditioned,relative "self" in the sphere of manifestation.]
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 14:47
    You are absolutely correct, but may I add, that where there is false ego there must be real ego, and the real ego is "the spiritual identity" as against the false ego which is the "material identity"

The man in the mirror is the false ego, and he is the illusionary self.
  8. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 16:11
    Originally posted by Taoman
    "I","me","my" are words that represent the predominant obstacle to Recognition because they continually re-inforce the concept of a bounded permanent "self" that is actually non-existent*. It could be said that until an absence of self (ego) is accepted we cannot begin to recognize the Reality.

But here words and concepts begin to fail, for if there is no ...[text shortened]... do have a functional,conditioned,relative "self" in the sphere of manifestation.]
    Very good.
  9. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    23 Oct '10 00:55
    Man is very conditioned to this, yes.

Though, I, and anyone else, can do -NOTHING- of one's own self that shall ever prosper. Regardless what one finds to be prospering. But all things through -CHRIST- which strengtheneth me, or ANYONE that desires to have as their Saviour.
  10. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    23 Oct '10 02:27
    Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
    Man is very conditioned to this, yes.

Though, I, and anyone else, can do -NOTHING- of one's own self that shall ever prosper. Regardless what one finds to be prospering. But all things through -CHRIST- which strengtheneth me, or ANYONE that desires to have as their Saviour.
    oh
  11. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    23 Oct '10 02:47
    oh
    amen
  12. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 23:52
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    he is saying some people are reluctant to change because they feel a certain loyalty to their beliefs even if evidence proves to the contrary.

it does make sense just i don't see much debating potential in this thread
    Ok, I misinterpreted what buckky was saying, thinking that he meant "If I'm involved with a certain mind set or religion then it must be the correct one." was a statement he agreed to be fact, rather than talking about an example of what kind of mindsets people get into.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree