1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '18 03:12
    "Eid al-Adha, also called the "Festival of Sacrifice", is the second of two Islamic holidays celebrated worldwide each year (the other being Eid al-Fitr), and considered the holier of the two. It honors the willingness of Ibrahim (Abraham) to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience to God’s command. Before Abraham could sacrifice his son, God provided a ram to sacrifice instead. In commemoration of this, an animal is sacrificed and divided into three parts: one third of the share is given to the poor and needy; another third is given to relatives, friends and neighbors; and the remaining third is retained by the family. In the Islamic lunar calendar, Eid al-Adha falls on the 10th day of Dhu al-Hijjah. In the international (Gregorian) calendar, the dates vary from year to year drifting approximately 11 days earlier each year. Eid al-Adha is the latter of the two Eid holidays, the former being Eid al-Fitr." [wiki]

The festivities started last night. There were countless drum bands and floats going up and down the road in neighbourhoods all over the city and along main roads too. Today is a national holiday. At some point this morning my neighbour will drop off a gift of mutton and we'll make a curry out of it.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Aug '18 06:45
    Originally posted by @fmf
    "Eid al-Adha, also called the "Festival of Sacrifice", is the second of two Islamic holidays celebrated worldwide each year (the other being Eid al-Fitr), and considered the holier of the two. It honors the willingness of Ibrahim (Abraham) to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience to God’s command. Before Abraham could sacrifice his son, God provided a ram to ...[text shortened]... point this morning my neighbour will drop off a gift of mutton and we'll make a curry out of it.
    Do you need to reciprocate with a gift? (Or is the 'sharing of the food' the significant thing? )
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '18 09:24
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Do you need to reciprocate with a gift? (Or is the 'sharing of the food' the significant thing? )
    It's for Muslims to share the food resulting from their celebratory slaughter of a goat.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Aug '18 11:28
    It's for Muslims to share the food resulting from their celebratory slaughter of a goat.
    Yep sorry. I speed read your op.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '18 12:58
    Very neighbourly.

As you are not a Muslim I take it that there is sincere sort of outreach associated with the celebration, in terms of including "infidels" for want of a better word?

Also, does the more hard-line Islamic population in other areas of your part of Indonesia also take such an inclusive approach?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '18 13:57
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    As you are not a Muslim I take it that there is sincere sort of outreach associated with the celebration, in terms of including "infidels" for want of a better word?
    Yes it's a neighbourly thing. Sharing is a form of civic pride.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '18 14:00
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Also, does the more hard-line Islamic population in other areas of your part of Indonesia also take such an inclusive approach?
    As far as I know, yes. Sharing is, in part, a demonstration of piety and observance.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Aug '18 21:24
    As far as I know, yes. Sharing is, in part, a demonstration of piety and observance.
    Doesn't that fly in the face of your atheism? Do your Muslim friends know you are atheist?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Aug '18 00:28
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Do your Muslim friends know you are atheist?
    Some do, some don't.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Aug '18 00:34
    FMF: As far as I know, yes. Sharing is, in part, a demonstration of piety and observance.

Doesn't that fly in the face of your atheism?
    You are asking me if someone else's religious belief "flies in the face" of my own lack of religious belief? What on earth are you on about?
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    23 Aug '18 16:14
    "Eid al-Adha, also called the "Festival of Sacrifice", is the second of two Islamic holidays celebrated worldwide each year (the other being Eid al-Fitr), and considered the holier of the two. It honors the willingness of Ibrahim (Abraham) to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience to God’s command. Before Abraham could sacrifice his son, God provided a ram to ...[text shortened]... point this morning my neighbour will drop off a gift of mutton and we'll make a curry out of it.
    Interestingly enough though is that it is the Jews who are the descendants of Isaac the son of Abraham, and those that are middle easterners and Muslim are descended from Ishmael who was not the son of Sara and Abraham to which the promise was made by God that they would have a son. Ishmael was the illegitimate son of Hagar who was essentially a slave.

Islam is a phony religion created by a phony prophet claiming to build on the teachings of Abraham, Moses and Jesus. A completely fraudulent religion with no basis in biblical truth.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Aug '18 19:22
    Some do, some don't.
    And the ones who do don't consider you an infidel and therefore only worthy of their contempt?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Aug '18 23:57
    And the ones who do don't consider you an infidel and therefore only worthy of their contempt?
    So are you admitting that your understanding of Islam is just as lacking as your understanding of Christianity?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Aug '18 23:57
    I don't know. I don't meet Muslims in my everyday life who express contempt or interact with me as if their attitude towards me is one of contempt. I don't live next to an ISIS or Al Qaeda camp.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Aug '18 23:581 edit
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Interestingly enough though is that it is the Jews who are the descendants of Isaac the son of Abraham, and those that are middle easterners and Muslim are descended from Ishmael who was not the son of Sara and Abraham to which the promise was made by God that they would have a son. Ishmael was the illegitimate son of Hagar who was essentially a slave.
    ...[text shortened]... s of Abraham, Moses and Jesus. A completely fraudulent religion with no basis in biblical truth.
    And Ishmael was Abraham's firstborn.

And thus was Abraham's failure complete.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree