Empathy and Morality

Empathy and Morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Korea

Moves
05 Aug 20

@fmf said
Look again. The excerpt from the Jewish Virtual Library is simply an excerpt from Wikipedia. Look below the text.

Hey, whatever, it's the kind of mistake Giorgio Agamben, Hannah Arendt, Walter Benjamin, Susan Buck-Morss, Jacques Derrida, Jürgen Habermas, Waldemar Gurian, Jaime Guzmán, Reinhart Koselleck, Friedrich Hayek, Chantal Mouffe, Antonio Negri, Leo Strauss, Adrian Vermeule, and Slavoj Žižek could have made,
Oh wow, didn't see that.

So, that information also comes from the compilers over at Wikipedia.

Do you dispute it?

S. Korea

Moves
05 Aug 20

@fmf said
Once again, are there any other Nazi thinkers you are inspired by or is Carl Schmitt the only one?
I haven't read Heidegger, and I do not remember much of the overview of Jung that I read two decades ago.

So I guess it would stand at one. But maybe that'll change after Heidegger, and maybe there is someone else in there that was.

It's definitely a far shorter list than Jewish intellectuals and members of the Communist Party that I have been inspired by. ^^

F

Moves
05 Aug 20

@philokalia said
Oh wow, didn't see that.

So, that information also comes from the compilers over at Wikipedia.

Do you dispute it?
So, clips from wikipedia are OK, after all. It's OK - after all - to get a clip from Wikipedia instead of reading the book. Now, it's OK. it's OK when you did it. Ha ha. You are almost beyond parody.

F

Moves
05 Aug 20

@philokalia said
It's definitely a far shorter list than Jewish intellectuals and members of the Communist Party that I have been inspired by. ^^
Do you feel that Carl Schmitt dehumanized Jewish intellectuals and Jews generally?

S. Korea

Moves
05 Aug 20

@fmf said
So, clips from wikipedia are OK, after all. It's OK - after all - to get a clip from Wikipedia instead of reading the book. Now, it's OK. it's OK when you did it. Ha ha. You are almost beyond parody.
OK, so if you want to interpret Schmitt wrongly from a paragraph in a Wikipedia article, yuo are justified because I have used short blurbs of facts from Wikipedia.

Got it.

S. Korea

Moves
05 Aug 20

@fmf said
Do you feel that Carl Schmitt dehumanized Jewish intellectuals and Jews generally?
It would have been hypocritical of him if he did so by invoking humanity as a whole, or some universal value.

I do not know enough about him.

Perhaps you can enlighten us. ^^

F

Moves
05 Aug 20

@philokalia said
It would have been hypocritical of him if he did so by invoking humanity as a whole, or some universal value.

I do not know enough about him.
So you don't know enough about Carl Schmitt to know if he dehumanized Jewish intellectuals and Jews generally? Is this because you are "not anti-intellectual"?

S. Korea

Moves
05 Aug 20

@fmf said
So you don't know enough about Carl Schmitt to know if he dehumanized Jewish intellectuals and Jews generally? Is this because you are "not anti-intellectual"?
LOL, @FMF, I am reading his political philosophical works.

I am not telling people to not read his works because of the shortcomings in his personal life or career, or his other views that may be very questionable. That would be being anti-intellectual, and against the spirit of free inquiry.

Not knowing everything about Carl Schmitt but reading some of his material is anti-intellectual, if that is what you are trying to imply.

F

Moves
05 Aug 20

@philokalia said
I guess if I had to draw a line, I would say that you have dehumanized someone when "deprive [them] of human qualities such as individuality, compassion, or civility".
Did Carl Schmitt do this to the Jews?

S. Korea

Moves
05 Aug 20

@fmf said
Did Carl Schmitt do this to the Jews?
https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/empathy-and-morality.186411/page-13#post_4249133

F

Moves
05 Aug 20

@philokalia said
I am not telling people to not read his works because of the shortcomings in his personal life or career, or his other views that may be very questionable. That would be being anti-intellectual, and against the spirit of free inquiry.
And yet, this prominent Nazi is apparently your go-to thinker on a thread about "Empathy and Morality". His raw anti-Semitism and his prominence as a member of the Nazi party and his silence and refusal to show any repentance for the Holocaust and the violence against Jews that his political philosophy led to is merely part of his "personal life"? Gosh.

F

Moves
05 Aug 20

@philokalia said
https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/empathy-and-morality.186411/page-13#post_4249133
Did he or didn't he?

F

Moves
05 Aug 20

@philokalia said
So, let's be clear. If Carl Schmitt DID dehumanize Jewish intellectuals and Jews generally but did so WITHOUT being hypocritical, then that's OK? Is that what you mean?

F

Moves
05 Aug 20

@fmf said
While most would agree that one's capacity for empathy is arguably an important basis for morally sound behaviour ~ and without forgetting that this is all in the realm of subjectivity ~ can empathy, in fact, lead to support for - or even participation in - morally unsound actions in certain situations, despite being virtuous in and of itself?
What are some real-life examples of so-called "misguided empathy"?

S. Korea

Moves
05 Aug 20

@fmf said
So, let's be clear. If Carl Schmitt DID dehumanize Jewish intellectuals and Jews generally but did so WITHOUT being hypocritical, then that's OK? Is that what you mean?
... LOL, no.

I do not support Carl Schmitt's support for the Nazi party.
I support the criticism he made for the Nazi Party, though.
And I enjoyed the Concept of the Political.