Empathy and Morality

Empathy and Morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

The reason that quotations are used is because it is inherently educational to be exposed to great minds and important thinkers. No one really cares what FMF or Philokalia says in a forum, so what is the use of trying to keep track of what these nobodies on the internet think?

I think it is useful to quote important men and will continue to do so.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
And there is the word "humanitarianism". You did use it, see? I cannot fathom what benefit you thought you were going to gain from lying about it.
LOL, this is getting sad & frustrating.

Do I have to bring up the full quote again?

Invoking humanity is the main idea. Not humanitarianism, though humanitarianism is mentioned once (versus twice) in the large block of text.

It's OK -- invoke humanity is a less common turn of phrase. You can latch on to the lower, more common one if you like.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
There is no need for a specific example when such an idea is generally familiar.
I think there is a need because you seem to be using the word "dehumanization" in such ridiculously vague and catch-all kind of way, without some examples, it seems to amount to little more than pretentious waffle.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
The texts you have copy-pasted don't include the word "dehumanize" or any of its derivatives.

I am asking you about this thing that you said: "The first person who invokes humanity & humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else."

If, somehow, you are saying that Carl Schmitt has prompted you to say what you said, fine, whatever, but I am asking you ...[text shortened]... h a ridiculous catch-all kind of way, no amount of Appeal to Authority is going to make sense of it,
I do not understand your tactic here.

I think outlaw of humanity stands in comparison to the word dehumanize, which can be defined as

1. To deprive of human qualities such as individuality, compassion, or civility: slaves who had been dehumanized by their abysmal condition.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/dehumanize

In calling them outlaws of humanity it shows that Schmitt agrees something of dehumanization happens when we accuse people of being against basic humanity.

Where's the problem?

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
LOL, this is getting sad & frustrating.

Do I have to bring up the full quote again?

Invoking humanity is the main idea. Not humanitarianism, though humanitarianism is mentioned once (versus twice) in the large block of text.

It's OK -- invoke humanity is a less common turn of phrase. You can latch on to the lower, more common one if you like.
Why did you feel the need to lie about not using the word "humanitarianism"?

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
If you don't want to take the challenge, feel free not to.

I am simply looking for some substantiation of your use of the word "dehumanization".
I think you have misunderstood what I am saying if you think the Southern border immigration crisis is really a 1:1 for what I am saying.

Just as how you feebly tried to latch onto some idea of ...

But, if it turns out that you ALSO believe that people who oppose those who invoke humanitarianism are prone to dehumanizing them, then why didn't you say so alongside the supposed dehumanization that you DID mention?

Like, where was that going? IDK.

You can explain that and the Southern border crisis if you like. Not super on topic, but I can see how, in a general way, it can be linked back.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
Why did you feel the need to lie about not using the word "humanitarianism"?
haha, yes, I used the word. At first, I had honestly forgotten that I used the word; and then when I saw it again, in the context of

People who begin to fight on behalf of "humanity" or any other nebulous value paint their opposition as cruel on a very fundamental level, and therefore worthy of cruelty, as it is actually very rare to meet a true pacifist.

The first person who invokes humanity & humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else.

I recollected it, though my primary turn of phrase was invoked humanity.

I still insist that invoking humanity and humanitarianism are actually different things.

We went through that earlier.

But now you are actually lying about what I am saying by, geez, reading lies into what I write.

It's pretty dishonest, FMF.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
Where's the problem?
So, an example of the "dehumanization" you are referring to here: "The first person who invokes humanity & humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else" has something to do with "slaves who had been dehumanized by their abysmal condition"?

OK.

How would you personally use the word "dehumanization" if you were talking about the empathy/morality issues surrounding the U.S. southern border scenario I mentioned?

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
I think there is a need because you seem to be using the word "dehumanization" in such ridiculously vague and catch-all kind of way, without some examples, it seems to amount to little more than pretentious waffle.
How is it too vague to comment on? Why does it need to be more narrow?

What did you have in mind?

F

Moves
03 Aug 20
1 edit

@philokalia said
I recollected it, though my primary turn of phrase was invoked humanity.

I still insist that invoking humanity and humanitarianism are actually different things.

We went through that earlier.

But now you are actually lying about what I am saying by, geez, reading lies into what I write.

It's pretty dishonest, FMF.
You said you hadn't used the word "humanitarianism". But you had. The lie was yours not mine.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
So, an example of the "dehumanization" you are referring to here: "The first person who invokes humanity & humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else" has something to do with "slaves who had been dehumanized by their abysmal condition"?
Correct, the two ideas obviously have nothing to do with each other.

Do you actually think it is the case that a person can only be dehumanized through one way?

You got to stop crossing wires.

I guess I can see why you need more narrow words if your brain just pops out of context because you are too excited for another comparison.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20
1 edit

@fmf said
You said you hadn't used the word "humanitarianism". But you had. The lie was yours not mine.
EDIT: I refer you back to this statement:

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/empathy-and-morality.186411/page-7#post_4248672

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
Correct, the two ideas obviously have nothing to do with each other.

Do you actually think it is the case that a person can only be dehumanized through one way?

You got to stop crossing wires.

I guess I can see why you need more narrow words if your brain just pops out of context because you are too excited for another comparison.
Just give some concrete examples instead of dancing around evasively. All you seem to have offered is some sort of broad brush condemnation of people who are oriented towards humanitarianism.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
EDIT: I refer you back to this statement:

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/empathy-and-morality.186411/page-7#post_4248672
You lying about it was prior to page 7.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
Just give some concrete examples instead of dancing around evasively. All you seem to have offered is some sort of broad brush condemnation of people who are oriented towards humanitarianism.
I refer you back to this statement:

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/empathy-and-morality.186411/page-6#post_4248665