1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '11 04:40
    Originally posted by menace71
    http://www.history.com/news/2011/05/17/apocalypses-that-weren%E2%80%99t/?cmpid=Social_Facebook_Hith_05172011_3

Could not resist to post on this one. What cha all think ? I know the bible says no man knows the day or hour. I love the history channel 🙂

Manny
    Well you could worry about the end of the world, but why? If you believe
    that this universe is going to end, because God is making a short work of it
    in its current condition, isn't there more to be worried about if you die and
    you are not right with God?
    Kelly
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 May '11 06:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I don't keep up with literature on the Jehovah's Witnesses. It's not that
    important to me and I don't plan on wasting my money on those type of books.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "those types of books". Perhaps you read comics in order expand your knowledge?

I think it's important to understand cults/sects like the JW's and reading recognised material from first hand witnesses who have experienced life inside one of these organisation is invaluable. There are also websites which act as support group/portal for ex JWs.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 May '11 06:301 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Well I can say from the 1975 on, because I'm not old enough to speak on the others in person, I never saw in writing from the Society that those last two dates were going to be when armegeddon happens. The 1975 was discussed earlier and I have no idea where the date 1994 ever came from. That's the first I've ever heard of that. It must not have been published or written from the Society as I've never heard of it.
    The fact is that the JW organisation has a long history of false prophesy, how you can ignore this fact and hold to the teaching that the organisation holds all truth is an astonishing representation of the power of the sect's influence on an individual's thinking.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 May '11 09:301 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The fact is that the JW organisation has a long history of false prophesy, how you can ignore this fact and hold to the teaching that the organisation holds all truth is an astonishing representation of the power of the sect's influence on an individual's thinking.
    As Robbie and myself have mentioned before and something you obvioulsy are not able to comprehend, is we never pulled any prophecy of any kind out of thin air and just made it up.
    The early Brothers were aware of the prophecies in the Bible and according to world events that were happening at that time as well as chronology in the Bible, that it was time for Jesus to cast Satan out of heaven and for Jesus to take his thrown as well as other events. But because of not having the clear picture yet of how these events were to unfold and still having some old enfluances of beliefs that their old churches had taught them such as Jesus coming back as a human and ruling as King here on the earth instead of heaven and not having a clear understanding of the 144,000 yet.....yes they misread those prophicies and thought armegeddon was to happen at that time period.
    It obviously didn't so they knew they had misunderstood the prophecies and knew a correction was needed. As time passed all they misunderstood became clearer and clearer and came to realize that no man knows the time when armegeddon will come.
    So as hard as it is for you to grasp this thougth of ones like myself who knows this is the truth and that it's always advancing in that direction which fits with the Bible's telling that the "light will get brighter and brighter" with knowledge, is exactly what has been happening from the very early years of the JW's.
    So what you see as failures, is actually the opposite and has been a refining process of gaining the knowledge of what the Bible is teaching us.
    Sorry your being left out of this process.....
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '11 09:43
    As Robbie and myself have mentioned before and something you obvioulsy are not able to comprehend, is we never pulled any prophecy of any kind out of thin air and just made it up.
    The early Brothers were aware of the prophecies in the Bible and according to world events that were happening at that time as well as chronology in the Bible, that it was ti ...[text shortened]... wledge of what the Bible is teaching us.
    Sorry your being left out of this process.....
    i think that these guys that are giving their attention to third party and questionable sources and are yet unable to tell the difference between the end of the gentile times, the end of the system (Armageddon) and the beginning of Christ reign in power really have demonstrated that they practically know nothing when it comes to our actual beliefs. I just direct them to watchtower.org, it saves the hassle, if they are really interested in what we believe, they can go there.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 May '11 10:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i think that these guys that are giving their attention to third party and questionable sources and are yet unable to tell the difference between the end of the gentile times, the end of the system (Armageddon) and the beginning of Christ reign in power really have demonstrated that they practically know nothing when it comes to our actual beliefs. ...[text shortened]... r.org, it saves the hassle, if they are really interested in what we believe, they can go there.
    Good idea Robbie but you have that right in we know they are not really wanting to understand or even learn. They keep bringing this up so it shows their desire to learn is not there.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '11 12:30
    Good idea Robbie but you have that right in we know they are not really wanting to understand or even learn. They keep bringing this up so it shows their desire to learn is not there.
    watchtower.org - - - - - - - - - - - -> it saves so much time.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 May '11 12:45
    I just direct them to watchtower.org, it saves the hassle, if they are really interested in what we believe, they can go there.
    If, say, galveston75 stated [and persisted with] a belief that conflicted in a fundamental way with what is found at watchtower.org, would you report him to the JW organisation?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '11 13:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    If, say, galveston75 stated [and persisted with] a belief that conflicted in a fundamental way with what is found at watchtower.org, would you report him to the JW organisation?
    No, there is a clearly outlined scriptural procedure. I would speak to him personally and try to ascertain why he thought such and such and try to reason with him in an attempt to bring his thinking into harmony, if he refused to listen to me, id ask a member from his local elders to reason with him, if that failed i would ask him to write to Jehovahs Witnesses so that the matter might be clarified for him, if that failed, well, I'd appeal to Jehovah himself to help him. He is responsible for his own thoughts and i have exhausted all avenues and must accept that he is teaching what is contrary to our teachings. I must point out that the chances of such are extremely unlikely, spiritual things dont come between brothers.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 May '11 13:12
    No, there is a clearly outlined scriptural procedure. I would speak to him personally and try to ascertain why he thought such and such and try to reason with him in an attempt to bring his thinking into harmony, if he refused to listen to me, id ask a member from his local elders to reason with him....
    So you would report him to "his local elders", then. I see.

So is there a vigorous debate within the organisation? Are there any factions? Are there any vocal dissidents?

galveston75 talked about how the early Brothers were aware of the prophecies but, not having the clear picture yet of how events were to unfold, they misread those prophicies and thought armegeddon was going to happen even though it didn't. [/b]

Were those false or mistaken prophecies by the early Brothers the result of vigorous and open debate or were they developed by way of a top down deliberative system?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '11 13:221 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

So is there a vigorous debate within the organisation? Are there any factions? Are there any vocal dissidents?

galveston75 talked about how the early Brothers were aware of the prophecies but, not having the clear picture yet of how events were to unfold, they misread those prophicies and thought of vigorous and open debate or were they developed by way of a top down deliberative system?
    I would speak to him personally first, this procedure is well outlined in scripture,

(Matthew 18:15-17) . . .“Moreover, if your brother commits a sin, go lay bare his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take along with you one or two more, in order that at the mouth of two or three witnesses every matter may be established.  If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. . .

Nope, we are united in worship, no fractions, no vigorous debate. The worst things are what colour to paint the K/Hall interior or personality clashes. As for what happened in the earlier days, vigorous debate did ensue then, but things were not so clear. Its sorted now and we are fine. Thanks for the concern. Those earlier mistakes (not prophecies) were the consequence of incomplete or inaccurate knowledge, or a misplaced zeal for the Kingdom, human imperfection, many things. Christ's disciples also made mistakes, it did not negate their worship for as far as i can remember, absolute perfection is never a requirement. why people expect it is more a reflection of their Pharisaical tendencies than of us, for they are demanding from us what they themselves cannot furnish. We have never claimed to be infallible.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 May '11 13:27
    Nope, we are united in worship, no fractions, no vigorous debate. [...] We have never claimed to be infallible.
    So all Brothers share the same beliefs and are united in worship. If your leadership - fallible as you concede it is - proposed something [having not permitted vigorous debate about it] that all Brothers did not believe in, would all the Brothers leave?
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 May '11 13:281 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

galveston75 talked about how the early Brothers were aware of the prophecies but, not having the clear picture yet of how events were to unfold, they misread those prophicies and thought of vigorous and open debate or were they developed by way of a top down deliberative system?
    Sorry to butt in here, but from my understanding all JW doctrine is set by the Governing Body, which constitutes eight unelected members (all male, no female has ever been on the GB).

JW's are taught not to question the doctrine set by the GB.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 May '11 13:36
    I would speak to him personally first, this procedure is well outlined in scripture,

(Matthew 18:15-17) . . .“Moreover, if your brother commits a sin, go lay bare his fault [b]between you and him alone
    . If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take along with you one or two more, in order that at the mout ...[text shortened]... demanding from us what they themselves cannot furnish. We have never claimed to be infallible.[/b]
    Exactly Robbie. If one is looking for and expecting perfection the JW Brothers and Sisters, that will never happen. Many have started studies with us and because we claim and believe that we have Jehovah's blessing and we are trying as hard as we can to serve him....we are still imperfect and all make mistakes.
    And as far as our knowledge of the Bible and scriptural matters, we only know what Jehovah tells us and that takes time. Again the "light" was not that bright back in the early days of the organization. But it is getting brighter and just as in the early light of morning we can and will stumble over objects we can't see yet and make mistakes, but as it get's lighter we can now correct our steps and find our way.
    None of God's people in the past were ever perfect and all made mistakes and some were pretty serious at times.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 May '11 13:37
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Sorry to butt in here, but from my understanding all JW doctrine is set by the Governing Body, which constitutes eight unelected members (all male, no female has ever been on the GB).

JW's are taught not to question the doctrine set by the GB.
    Lol..Who ever told you that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree