Every Man's Battle

Every Man's Battle

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
18 Sep 09
1 edit

Originally posted by amannion
That's a good point, I stand corrected.
But I think even you could agree that we're a little bit more enlightened than once we humans were ...
Yes. We owe a lot of furtherance in human soul understanding to advancement in the humanities. And Christians played a part in some of those advancements.

I don't know why the Atheist should care about it though.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
18 Sep 09

Originally posted by jaywill
Yes. We owe a lot of furtherance in human soul understanding to advancement in the humanities. And Christians played a part in some of those advancements.

I don't know why the Atheist should care about it though.
I'm keen to hear a decent justification for declaring masturbation as a sin.

I'm also a semi-regular contributor on these posts because I'm interested in people and their beliefs. My experience of atheists is that they tend to be more inclined to interest and involvement in religious discussions - not necessarily to proselytise and convert, just to understand and debate and engage.

j

Moves
18 Sep 09
2 edits

I'm also a semi-regular contributor on these posts because I'm interested in people and their beliefs. My experience of atheists is that they tend to be more inclined to interest and involvement in religious discussions - not necessarily to proselytise and convert, just to understand and debate and engage.
I am an evangelist. And I intend to help people believe in the Gospel of Christ

You should not be quick to assume that your attitude about masturbation has not already been tried. Don't think that some Christians have never adopted that kind of attitude.

Jesus said "He who commits sin is a slave to sin." You could substitute "He who commits [masturbation] is a slave to [masturbation]."

Some of us may have adopted your very attitude " Well, I'm not at ALL bothered that I masturbate. And I feel just swell about it."

You may get a reaction "Been there. Tried that already." But he who commits sin is a slave to sin. Why boast about being a slave? Stop kidding yourself. Why boast about something that has a grip on you which you couldn't break if you wanted to? For some of us we consider it an offense to our conscience and lose peace. We would like to have self control and temperance in all things. It makes for a better marriage life also.

Sometimes when someone cannot stop they may try to find some relief in wearing their habit like a crown. Not everyone finds this satisfactory. They do not like the feeling of being enslaved to a habit.

In dealing with compulsions many of us have already tried every attitude and philosophy under the sun. Some of us found that enjoying the resurrected Jesus Christ was the way out.

I hear you. "But I don't WANT a way out."

Okay. I respect that. I'll wait for some who would like to seriously explore the Gospel's escape from various kinds of slavery, including masturbation.

I think I want to focus my efforts there. No disrespect is meant. I just don't feel I want to labor that much just to tickle your atheistic curiosity for its own sake.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
18 Sep 09

I am an evangelist. And I intend to help people believe in the Gospel of Christ

You should not be quick to assume that your attitude about masturbation has not already been tried. Don't think that some Christians have never adopted that kind of attitude.

Jesus said [b]"He who commits sin is a slave to sin."
You could substitute "He who commits ...[text shortened]... nt to labor that much just to tickle your atheistic curiosity for its own sake.
I bite the skin around my fingernails, it is a habit of mine. Does that class as a sin?

j

Moves
18 Sep 09

Every Man's Battle reminds me of a passage.

"No temptation has taken you except that which is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow that you be tempted beyond what you are able, but will, with the temptation, also make the way out, that you may be able to endure it." (1 Cor. 10:13)

For the Christian, God provides a "way out" of temptation. He provides a "way out" of compulsions and habits.

The way out is a Person - Jesus. It is a living way. It is the living Person of Jesus and the power and victory which is inherent in Him. He has overcome the world.

But it is diffcult to only turn to the way when you want the help. You have to learn to WALK in the way. Then the power is there when the heat of temptation comes.

We all would like to just "use" God's help when we need it. And then after "using" His grace, discard Him. The most effective way for His power to supply you is not to try selectively to use Him in a hot spot. It is to develop the steady and daily WALK in the Holy Spirit.

"But I say, Walk by the Spirit and you shall by no means fulfill the lust of the flesh" (Gal. 5:16)

Once having received Christ into the heart and into the innermost human spirit, one must learn to Walk by the Spirit. That means step by step by step.

No temptation confronts the believer such is not common to all men. God provides a way out. The way out is to walk in oneness with the living Spirit of Christ, step by step, by step.

The one who learns to walk by the Spirit shall by no means fulfill the lust of the flesh. One of the fruits of walking by the Spirit is "self control".

Do not be enflueced by the so-called "free-thinkers" who argue the to belong to Jesus Christ is to lose control. Rather to belong to Jesus Christ adds a powerful measure of "self control".

d

Moves
18 Sep 09

I have incredible self-control. I can fire a load one metre high and long. All it takes is the right grip and release.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 Sep 09

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 Sep 09

I think there's a case to be made that nothing in the bible prohibits w_@_nking. But I'll leave that to the more liberal christians.

j

Moves
18 Sep 09
2 edits

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I think there's a case to be made that nothing in the bible prohibits w_@_nking. But I'll leave that to the more liberal christians.
The juvenile comments have led me to think a serious conversation will be sabotaged by macho types, trolls, and other show-offs hunting for applause and laughter.

I think your comment was more constructive. And my reply is that though there may not be an explicit "Thou Shalt Not" concerning the shooting of crack cocaine, there are nevertheless some people who would like to overcome their bondage to it.

"How bad is masturbating?" is not in the least my concern to debate over. I assumed from the title "Every Man's Battle" that at least some people are interested in coming out on the winning side of the battle.

I hoped to contribute some Christian spiritual principles to that discussion. However, I think it may be too tempting for those with only punkish wisecracks to submit.

I realize that as soon as the word "sin" is used, many people get drawn into a cycle "how bad is bad is bad is bad ...?" I can see that that is where this is going.

d

Moves
18 Sep 09
1 edit

The juvenile comments have led me to think a serious conversation will be sabotaged by macho types, trolls, and other show-offs hunting for applause and laughter.

I think your comment was more constructive. And my reply is that though there may not be an explicit [b]"Thou Shalt Not"
concerning the shooting of crack cocaine, there are nevertheless som ycle "how bad is bad is bad is bad ...?" I can see that that is where this is going.[/b]
If it makes you feel any better, this macho-type wisecracking punk troll only posted because my name was mentioned in the original post. Feel free to continue your incredbily stimulating discussion without fear of my disruptive interference. I don't want to sully this enthralling and meaningful debate any further with my filthy jack off toilet humour.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
18 Sep 09

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Have you ever been to an Every Man's Battle workshop?
http://www.everymansbattle.com/

Do you think young men like darvlay and Hand of Hecate could benefit from attending?
I think that the only thing young men like darvlay and myself would benefit from is you sending your wife over for a donkey show and a round of hand jobs.

I trust that this first comment is from you?

Comments
Nate wrote on Thursday, September 17 2009 at 04:32 PM:
I was searching for 'gay' and 'masturbation' and came upon your site. This site is useless, the guys are not attractive nor are they showing any skin. How is this supposed to be for masturbation?

thaddeus carroll wrote on Friday, September 18 2009 at 06:51 AM:
i am going to start a men"s group with your books as study guides,could you please give me some pointers or material to structure the classes?

trista wrote on Friday, September 18 2009 at 12:49 PM:
That first comment is completely unacceptable especially on this sight! Due to the nature of why this site is even here. What a way to divert attention away from the help that is needed.

d

Moves
18 Sep 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
I think that the only thing young men like darvlay and myself would benefit from is you sending your wife over for a donkey show and a round of hand jobs.

I trust that this first comment is from you?

Comments
[b]Nate wrote on Thursday, September 17 2009 at 04:32 PM:
I was searching for 'gay' and 'masturbation' and came upon your site. This si ...[text shortened]... his site is even here. What a way to divert attention away from the help that is needed.
[/b]
That Trista's a real go'er I heard.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
18 Sep 09

You didn't answer my question. If you believe in god and feel that 'eclipsing' god is a sin, that's fine.
But why is masturbating eclipsing god?
Oh forget 'God-eclipsing'. If you want to work on 'sin' at all then start with masterbating. Hows that?

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
19 Sep 09

Originally posted by darvlay
That Trista's a real go'er I heard.
Do you think Mary was hot? I imagine that to get God's attention she must have been. She must have been able to walk on water in the sack.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Sep 09
2 edits

2 types of sin. 1. sins which hurt othersa.2 Sins which hurt yourself.

1.As Robbie has pointed out there are voluntary and involuntary sins. I would recommend the stopping sins which hurt others first-I'm sure no one is going to disagree here.Right?

2.Where to start with sins that cause self-harm. I would say that masterbation should be the first one to adress. To follow your thought process and realize that ,whether you are concious or not of this, all actions follow from thoughts.
As someone who has counselled a few 'spiritually inclined' friends about masterbation I feel like I have some perspective on this matter. (please note that if masterbation is going to stop one from raping someone then by all means bat away!) However if you feel you are up to this level of self-disipline then you may follow these guidelines. a. If you do masterbate then DONT GET DOWN ON YOURSELF. Negative thoughts have a boomerang like effect. Just dont pay attention to those type thoughts . DONT OPPOSE THEM! Those thoughts will fade of their own accord if you dont feed them.
Also note that I'm talking about masterbation and not sex.
b.Try to understand that for all our outwardly differences , nearly all of us have the same sexual tendencies. Every drop of jissom is precious in the sense that if you build it up-with no opposong thinking- there is supposed to be some sort of inner orgasm which leads to spiritual enlightenment- as is written in tantric sex 'manuals'.
Feel free to ask me about any of the above statements. I realize that are written hurriedly on a subject I reckon is very important to furthuring higher 'spiritual functions'.