1. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 11:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Because energy was always there, it HAD to be if there was either a god doing the work or what science believes, a big bang.
    I am not sure if it was this thread or another one, but I already pointed out that the sum total of energy in the universe may very well be zero.

The conservation of energy says you don't get something from nothing.
    No, it doesn't. It only says that energy is conserved.

The energy to make the universe was there all along,
    What is 'all along'? Are you claiming time is infinite? That is not a known scientific fact.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 11:56
    God isn't energy. God would control energy if it was real. It flicks its rhetorical finger and energy flings off it and BOING, a new universe is created. OUR universe is created, there could be many others. My personal deity story of the creation of the universe is a higher dimensional space that has a school, where school kids have to make a universe, and ...[text shortened]... our universe gets put into a blender and ZIP, a new one is formed with the lessons learned......
    God is not energy, but a Spirit, by the power of His Word He made all of this and holds it
    together. Not sure where you are going to get your belief system from.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 12:06
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    God is not energy, but a Spirit, by the power of His Word He made all of this and holds it
    together. Not sure where you are going to get your belief system from.
    You are saying exactly the same thing I am saying, god is not energy, god *controls* energy. If you believe in that sort of thing. I get my belief system from the workings of my own mind, as opposed to people like Hinds who cannot come up with a single original thought and thus is tied to the thoughts of others.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 12:10
    You are saying exactly the same thing I am saying, god is not energy, god *controls* energy. If you believe in that sort of thing. I get my belief system from the workings of my own mind, as opposed to people like Hinds who cannot come up with a single original thought and thus is tied to the thoughts of others.
    Okay just checking, it seems good to you so it is.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 13:082 edits
    I get my belief system from the workings of my own mind ...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's your comment on something said by atheist evolutionary biologist J.B. Haldane:

"If my mental processes are determined wholly by the motions of atoms in my brain, I have no reason to suppose that my beliefs are true ... and hence I have no reason for supposing my brain to be composed of atoms."

I think then he means that he also has no reason to trust in anything he believes, including evolution.

Do you agree with him ?

How can you really call yourself a intellectual "freethinker" if all that is going on in your mind is the fizzing of atoms determining the combinations of "thoughts" you are to think?

You cannot claim any credit for following beliefs of your own free will if your mind is just the random bubbling of atoms. You didn't "decide" to follow a truer explanation. You just bubbled away from one direction of thought and randomly fizzed over to another direction - no credit to you.

Do you see a problem with total naturalistic materialism ?
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 19:42
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    My understanding as well.
    Your understanding???
    What exactly do you understand?

How do you interpret "said" for instance?

What exactly do you understand about the process of creating a universe by saying "Let there be light"?

Come on KellyJay - what is your understanding?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Aug '15 20:04
    Originally posted by sonship
    Do you agree with him ?
    I don't. The conclusion is not made based on clear reasoning. Why would beliefs not be true if the mind is based on physics?

Do you see a problem with total naturalistic materialism ?
    How does non-materialism make minds any more reliable? Please provide more detail in your reasoning for both cases.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 03:42
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Your understanding???
    What exactly do you understand?

How do you interpret "said" for instance?

What exactly do you understand about the process of creating a universe by saying "Let there be light"?

[b]Come on KellyJay - what is your understanding?
    [/b]
    Sound waves are made when someone says something. When an opera singer reaches the correct sound frequency glass has been shattered.

Kid Breaks Glass With His Voice

YouTube
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 03:563 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't. The conclusion is not made based on clear reasoning. Why would beliefs not be true if the mind is based on physics?

[b]Do you see a problem with total naturalistic materialism ?

How does non-materialism make minds any more reliable? Please provide more detail in your reasoning for both cases.[/b]
    The brain is materialistic, but the mind is immaterial. Also having knowledge and faith are not physical material objects, but are immaterial concepts. 😏

Quantum Physics Debunks Materialism

YouTube

The First Cause is Uncaused, Beginningless, Changeless, Immaterial, Timeless, Powerful, Personal

YouTube
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 07:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The brain is materialistic, but the mind is immaterial. Also having knowledge and faith are not physical material objects, but are immaterial concepts. 😏

Quantum Physics Debunks Materialism

[youtube]4C5pq7W5yRM[/youtube]

The First Cause is Uncaused, Beginningless, Changeless, Immaterial, Timeless, Powerful, Personal

[youtube]YqzqEFw5_1c[/youtube]
    You don't have mind without a brain. If you think otherwise, I would gladly try an experiment, I cut out say, 2/3 of your brain, see if you still have a mind.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 07:51
    You don't have mind without a brain. If you think otherwise, I would gladly try an experiment, I cut out say, 2/3 of your brain, see if you still have a mind.
    The brain is part of the body. The brain controls the body like a steering wheel, accelerator, and brake controls an auto. You are like the mind that operates the auto. But if 2 out of 3 of those don't work then it is going to be very difficult to get the auto to go where you wish. So a mind with a defective brain is not going to get the body to act right. 😏
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 08:54
    The brain is part of the body. The brain controls the body like a steering wheel, accelerator, and brake controls an auto. You are like the mind that operates the auto. But if 2 out of 3 of those don't work then it is going to be very difficult to get the auto to go where you wish. So a mind with a defective brain is not going to get the body to act right. 😏
    When did you get your Neurology Degree?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 09:14
    And there will be no consciousness either. No brain, no consciousness.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 11:19
    I suspect that that experiment was already attempted - and it turns out you were right. 🙂
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 04:44
    And there will be no consciousness either. No brain, no consciousness.
    The brain is material. Consciousnes is immaterial. Mind and consciousness is part of the soul, which is immaterial.

Remember that Jesus said, "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree