1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 03:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The image or likeness is metaphorical and is used to refer to the unseen spiritual aspects and characteristics of God. So please get your head out and pay attention. I just mentioned that it is things like love and creativity. Saying "the right hand of God" is a reference to God's spiritual power. Jesus was not meaning that He wished to be in the physica ...[text shortened]... , as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!

(Matthew 26:37)[/b]
    A metaphor for what exactly?
    (btw the Jesus quote uses simile)
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 03:34
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    A metaphor for what exactly?
    (btw the Jesus quote uses simile)
    Yes, but don't forget that a simile is a type of metaphor, which is a figure of speech. I don't claim to be an expert in understanding or using figures of speech, however, I believe this is what is happening when scripture compares man to God or vice versa. That is, mankind, through Adam, being made in the image and likeness of God and then God, through Jesus, being made in the image and likeness of man.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 03:38
    Yes, but don't forget that a simile is a type of metaphor, which is a figure of speech. I don't claim to be an expert in understanding or using figures of speech, however, I believe this is what is happening when scripture compares man to God or vice versa. That is, mankind, through Adam, being made in the image and likeness of God and then God, through Jesus, being made in the image and likeness of man.
    But you wont say what "in the likeness of god means"
    (although you have said what it doesn't mean.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 04:08
    But you wont say what "in the likeness of god means"
    (although you have said what it doesn't mean.
    I am sure I explained that the likeness of God refers to the spiritual likeness, because God is said to be spirit and not material flesh and bone. Adam were made out of the elements of the ground and the Spirit gave him life. However, man was made with abilities and characteristics not available to the other animals. I am sure I mentioned the ability to design and create things like God. Man is able to understand God's chracteristics of morality and love also.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 05:42
    I am sure I explained that the likeness of God refers to the spiritual likeness, because God is said to be spirit and not material flesh and bone. Adam were made out of the elements of the ground and the Spirit gave him life. However, man was made with abilities and characteristics not available to the other animals. I am sure I mentioned the ability to ...[text shortened]... eate things like God. Man is able to understand God's chracteristics of morality and love also.
    So when the bible said "created in gods likeness" it actually meant
    "created with the ability to design and create things like god."
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 12:03
    Partially.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 12:152 edits
    Partially.
    But that is completely changing the definition of the word 'image'. An image is a likeness of physical proportions and such not a metaphysical meaning.

I am quite sure the bible meant literally physical image otherwise why are there so many images of what this god is supposed to look like, big dude with beard and such?

You have a variable interpretation table in your head, taking things literally when you choose and cherry picking other ones to meet your preconceived ideas.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 12:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But that is completely changing the definition of the word 'image'. An image is a likeness of physical proportions and such not a metaphysical meaning.

I am quite sure the bible meant literally physical image otherwise why are there so many images of what this god is supposed to look like, big dude with beard and such?

You have a variable interpretat ...[text shortened]... things literally when you choose and cherry picking other ones to meet your preconceived ideas.
    Maybe that is because Jesus is the Son of God. And Jesus told His disciples if you have seen me, you have seen the Father. Jesus also said the following:

"But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

(John 4:23-24)
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 12:52
    Maybe that is because Jesus is the Son of God. And Jesus told His disciples if you have seen me, you have seen the Father. Jesus also said the following:

[b] "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

(John 4:23-24)[/b]
    Further evidence that the word Image is to be taken literally not some metaphysical sense.
    "If you have SEEN me, you have SEEN the Father"

Sounds pretty clear to me.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 19:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Further evidence that the word Image is to be taken literally not some metaphysical sense.
    "If you have SEEN me, you have SEEN the Father"

Sounds pretty clear to me.
    Then it should also be clear to you that Jesus is God.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 20:39
    Partially.

You say "Partially."
    So make it complete (in your own words without quoting old books)
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 21:41

You say "Partially."
    So make it complete (in your own words without quoting old books)
    The old books contain the words of the prophets. If you will not accept their words, you surely will not accept mine.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 21:45
    The old books contain the words of the prophets. If you will not accept their words, you surely will not accept mine.
    I will accept your understanding of the term "in the likeness of".

Waiting ... 😴
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 22:04
    I will accept your understanding of the term "in the likeness of".

Waiting ... 😴
    See. I told you.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 14:06
    See. I told you.
    No, it is you who failed, he asked a simple question about YOUR belief, restate it without biblical references and such but instead your answer is 'see I told you'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree