1. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Joined
    08 Mar '04
    Moves
    615426
    26 Jan '08 10:291 edit
    1.1 The concept of GOD is the concept of Totality, the concept of the essence of all existence, the source of all power, the origin of all truth and the root of all knowledge. GOD is the sum total of all things and GOD is infinite.

    1.2 GOD cannot be defined or described. To describe GOD is to define GOD, and to define GOD is to reduce GOD to a finite limited existence.

    1.3 But though we may not describe GOD because GOD is infinite, yet we may describe the parts of GOD. And the parts of GOD are the parts of all existence............

    1.14 GOD was, GOD is now and GOD shall be. For GOD is all. But when all is scattered through space and time, dispersed in fragmentary chaos and disorder through a vast and infinite territory of imaginary dimensions then GOD is no more than an idea, a potential at the root of the splintered confusion of disunited parts. Buried within this nightmare of disarray we can only know GOD within ourselves and thereby see His presence in the shattered pieces of the image which surround us......
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    26 Jan '08 12:07
    Originally posted by caissad4
    1.1 The concept of GOD is the concept of Totality, the concept of the essence of all existence, the source of all power, the origin of all truth and the root of all knowledge. GOD is the sum total of all things and GOD is infinite.

    1.2 GOD cannot be defined or described. To describe GOD is to define GOD, and to define GOD is to reduce GOD to a finite l ...[text shortened]... selves and thereby see His presence in the shattered pieces of the image which surround us......
    What a rancid pile of garbage this post is. You start off giving a rather extensive description of what god allegedly is and then immediately contradict yourself by claiming god cannot be described. You seem to sense this glaring contradiction in 1.3 and try to explain it away by saying 'describing' is not describing. You then conclude by giving more descriptions of god. Excuse me for finding this all to be a tad unconvincing.
  3. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    9905
    26 Jan '08 22:23
    Originally posted by caissad4
    1.1 The concept of GOD is the concept of Totality, the concept of the essence of all existence, the source of all power, the origin of all truth and the root of all knowledge. GOD is the sum total of all things and GOD is infinite.

    1.2 GOD cannot be defined or described. To describe GOD is to define GOD, and to define GOD is to reduce GOD to a finite l ...[text shortened]... selves and thereby see His presence in the shattered pieces of the image which surround us......
    Who told you? How do you know this?
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    26 Jan '08 23:56
    Originally posted by caissad4
    1.1 The concept of GOD is the concept of Totality, the concept of the essence of all existence, the source of all power, the origin of all truth and the root of all knowledge. GOD is the sum total of all things and GOD is infinite.

    1.2 GOD cannot be defined or described. To describe GOD is to define GOD, and to define GOD is to reduce GOD to a finite l ...[text shortened]... selves and thereby see His presence in the shattered pieces of the image which surround us......
    They break their own "God is indescribable" thing here when they start saying "God is X".

    To me, this sounds like the biggest cop out imaginable.
  5. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Joined
    27 Apr '02
    Moves
    16879
    27 Jan '08 11:54
    Originally posted by caissad4
    1.1 The concept of GOD is the concept of Totality, the concept of the essence of all existence, the source of all power, the origin of all truth and the root of all knowledge. GOD is the sum total of all things and GOD is infinite.

    1.2 GOD cannot be defined or described. To describe GOD is to define GOD, and to define GOD is to reduce GOD to a finite l ...[text shortened]... selves and thereby see His presence in the shattered pieces of the image which surround us......
    Caissad4,

    Why do you feel moved to articulate these words?
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    27 Jan '08 12:49
    Originally posted by caissad4
    1.1 The concept of GOD is the concept of Totality, the concept of the essence of all existence, the source of all power, the origin of all truth and the root of all knowledge. GOD is the sum total of all things and GOD is infinite.

    1.2 GOD cannot be defined or described. To describe GOD is to define GOD, and to define GOD is to reduce GOD to a finite l ...[text shortened]... selves and thereby see His presence in the shattered pieces of the image which surround us......
    Don't worry mate I get it. I may not agree with all of it in detail , but I get it.
  7. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Joined
    27 Apr '02
    Moves
    16879
    27 Jan '08 13:15
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Don't worry mate I get it. I may not agree with all of it in detail , but I get it.
    What do you get, precisely?
  8. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    27 Jan '08 18:561 edit
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    What do you get, precisely?
    1.2 for example , makes a lot of sense, even though as a christian I think that God's nature can be known . In christianity God is still mysterious but there are things we can defintely know about him. I think in 1.2 he's refering to how we can't ring fence God or limit him through definitions like we can finite things.
  9. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Joined
    08 Mar '04
    Moves
    615426
    28 Jan '08 06:261 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What a rancid pile of garbage this post is. You start off giving a rather extensive description of what god allegedly is and then immediately contradict yourself by claiming god cannot be described. You then conclude by giving more descriptions of god. Excuse me for finding this all to be a tad unconvincing.
    Would it make it easier if you substituted the phrase "the Universe" where ever the word "GOD" is found ?
    The silly Christian myth of selective salvation could also be called "a rancid pile of garbage". (An all-knowing God creates beings which he knows will not be "saved" and then sends them to Hell for not believing.) Contradiction.
    BTW, this is a teaching from a religion, not something which I authored.
    Angela
  10. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    28 Jan '08 07:59
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Would it make it easier if you substituted the phrase "the Universe" where ever the word "GOD" is found ?
    The silly Christian myth of selective salvation could also be called "a rancid pile of garbage". (An all-knowing God creates beings which he knows will not be "saved" and then sends them to Hell for not believing.) Contradiction.
    BTW, this is a teaching from a religion, not something which I authored.
    Angela
    By using the word God you are confusing everyone if what you meant was 'the universe'. Why didn't you use 'Devil' instead? Think about it.

    Whether you authored it or not, you should think about it and decide whether it makes sense before posting it in such a fashion as to portray the impression that you agree with it.

    1.14 does not make any sense if you put 'the Universe' where 'GOD' is.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    28 Jan '08 15:32
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Would it make it easier if you substituted the phrase "the Universe" where ever the word "GOD" is found ?
    The silly Christian myth of selective salvation could also be called "a rancid pile of garbage". (An all-knowing God creates beings which he knows will not be "saved" and then sends them to Hell for not believing.) Contradiction.
    BTW, this is a teaching from a religion, not something which I authored.
    Angela
    They are not comparable because the universe is both observable and describable. Perhaps not in its totality, but certainly in its parts. My objection lay with the contradiction in your post. If god cannot be described then please refrain from giving descriptions of him.

    The christian myth of salvation almost certainly carries many contradictions within it, as you seem well aware. But I'm not sure what your point here is exactly.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    28 Jan '08 15:351 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    They are not comparable because the universe is both observable and describable. Perhaps not in its totality, but certainly in its parts. My objection lay with the contradiction in your post. If god cannot be described then please refrain from giving descriptions of him.
    Who said GOD is a description of God?

    You could found an entire linguistic theory on GOD IS.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    28 Jan '08 15:52
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Who said GOD is a description of God?

    You could found an entire linguistic theory on GOD IS.
    What? Caissad4 said, in her initial post, that god could not be described. She also gave several descriptions of god. I am not concerned with whether god IS at the moment. The question at hand is that if he does exist, can he be described? If so, then he is describable. If not, then no description of him can be given.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    28 Jan '08 16:04
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What? Caissad4 said, in her initial post, that god could not be described. She also gave several descriptions of god. I am not concerned with whether god IS at the moment. The question at hand is that if he does exist, can he be described? If so, then he is describable. If not, then no description of him can be given.
    God is indescribable. Is that the fault of God or language?

    'God is an abstract non-entity'--BdN.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    28 Jan '08 16:12
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    God is indescribable. Is that the fault of God or language?

    'God is an abstract non-entity'--BdN.
    So god is indescribable. What is the point of contention here?
Back to Top