1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Nov '12 19:00
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I think you mean 'pedant'.

Can't subscribe to that kind of thing myself.
    *applause*
  2. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    16 Nov '12 12:12
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Nothing will be found. I am confident of that. What it will show is how incredible God is. Man cannot even begin to fathom how glorious God is. He has given each of these stars a name.
    Latest rough estimate of number of stars in the Universe (that we can see-ish):

"...Almost all the stars in the Universe are collected together into galaxies. They can be small dwarf galaxies, with just 10 million or so stars, or they can be monstrous irregular galaxies with 10 trillion stars or more. Our own Milky Way galaxy seems to contain about 200 billion stars; and we’re actually about average number of stars.

So an average galaxy contains between 10^11 and 10^12 stars. In other words, galaxies, on average have between 100 billion and 1 trillion numbers of stars.

Now, how many galaxies are there? Astronomers estimate that there are approximately 100 billion to 1 trillion galaxies in the Universe. So if you multiply those two numbers together, you get between 10^22 and 10^24 stars in the Universe. How many stars? There are between 10 sextillion and 1 septillion stars in the Universe. That’s a large number of stars."

http://www.universetoday.com/24328/how-many-stars
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    16 Nov '12 14:34
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Latest rough estimate of number of stars in the Universe (that we can see-ish):

"...Almost all the stars in the Universe are collected together into galaxies. They can be small dwarf galaxies, with just 10 million or so stars, or they can be monstrous irregular galaxies with 10 trillion stars or more. Our own Milky Way galaxy seems to contain about 200 bi ...[text shortened]... niverse. That’s a large number of stars."

http://www.universetoday.com/24328/how-many-stars
    How many stars? There are between 10 sextillion and 1 septillion stars in the Universe. That’s a large number of stars.

Interesting to combine this information with the announcement that God has given each one a name. This can only entail a different and unique name for each one, otherwise the statement would be inaccurate. So that's up to 1 septillion unique names. That's a large number of names.

When we name a new (to us) star, what are the odds that we give it the wrong name and how would we get it right?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Nov '12 14:401 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    How many stars? There are between 10 sextillion and 1 septillion stars in the Universe. That’s a large number of stars.

Interesting to combine this information with the announcement that God has given each one a name. This can only entail a different and unique name for each one, otherwise the statement would be inaccurate. So that's up to 1 (to us) star, what are the odds that we give it the wrong name and how would we get it right?
    That's a large number of names,

not if you are infinite its not.
  5. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    16 Nov '12 19:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    That's a large number of names,

not if you are infinite its not.
    robbie, your statement about "God" and infinity has intriguing implications and has provoked in me a new post to discuss it separately.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    16 Nov '12 22:06
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Nothing will be found. I am confident of that. What it will show is how incredible God is. Man cannot even begin to fathom how glorious God is. He has given each of these stars a name.
    It's a sad thing that you need an imaginary friend to help you appreciate the splendor of the universe, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    16 Nov '12 22:09
    Originally posted by finnegan

Interesting to combine this information with the announcement that God has given each one a name. This can only entail a different and unique name for each one, otherwise the statement would be inaccurate.
    Right. There's Fred, and Dick, and that dim one in the Big Dipper is Vickee...

I forget the rest.
  8. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    17 Nov '12 01:04
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Right. There's Fred, and Dick, and that dim one in the Big Dipper is Vickee...

I forget the rest.
    I actually tried to refrain out of mercy, but I just cracked up! lol.
  9. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '12 08:18
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You really do like spamming the number keys don't you...

So you think that science is limited to exploring a sphere with a radius of approximately 94 thousand kilometres...

That doesn't even get you to the moon...

((((3/4)*((1e-56)*(3.5e80)))/(pi))^(1/3))/1000
    The extent of the material creation is trillions x trillions x trillions of miles.............meaning science can only explore their door step.

Absolutely a complete waste of the tax payers money when the money could be spent on clean energy and social welfare programs and education.

Space exploration is criminal because of its obscene expense and uselessness.
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    17 Nov '12 08:38
    Originally posted by Dasa
    The extent of the material creation is trillions x trillions x trillions of miles.............meaning science can only explore their door step.

Absolutely a complete waste of the tax payers money when the money could be spent on clean energy and social welfare programs and education.

Space exploration is criminal because of its obscene expense and uselessness.
    Well, maybe there'll be an updated set of Vedas out there.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 20:17
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Agreed. Even when I bring it up in person to someone they get a "deer in the headlights" look and change the discussion. Fear is an interesting emotion sometimes.
    Very revealing emotion, but it seems we need to strip those (non existent) layers of fear away to find our 'gems' inside.
    It's hard to know sometimes when someone is running away or if they are dealing with it on some level. Other times it's obvious 🙂
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 20:19
    Originally posted by sumydid
    I often wonder about our planet-wide fixation on Mars. Of course, we've now discovered water on Mars, as well as what we believe are fossils of microbial organisms. Could it be that we originated there, destroyed the planet with our destructive ways, and escaped to Earth for the survival of the species?

Obviously it would be very difficult for a bible-b ...[text shortened]... me to seriously consider such a thing. But though I am Christian, I still have an imagination.
    If you only get part of the story it doesn't make much sense. I'm pretty sure there is room in this universe for JC and his followers🙂
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 20:20
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Well that's good, because no respectable scientist is advancing such a theory.
    Yes but unrespected ones are. I wonder why they pursue such obviously ludicrous ideas.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 20:271 edit
    Our 'natural evolution' as a human species is not to be interfered with (by aliens), so that we may truly learn the responsibility of a fully concious human who understands how to caretake this planet properly, and not pretend like they own it.
    A united race of future humans, free from fear through the understanding of death may be contacted formally by E.T's at some stage in our future. But all in all, they are largely sitting back and enjoying the show.
    Some help a bit, even though they know they have to be very careful what they alter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree