1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Nov '12 12:03
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Would we not share responsibility with any other sentient life that we shared existence with?
    What I meant was that we should be responsible for our planet. We should nurture and respect ALL life on it and recognize our roles as custodians and not owners of the planet that we spend time on.
    Of course this will not happen in any effective way unless we can unite the planet peacefully.
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    13 Nov '12 12:22
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    What I meant was that we should be responsible for our planet. We should nurture and respect ALL life on it and recognize our roles as custodians and not owners of the planet that we spend time on.
    Of course this will not happen in any effective way unless we can unite the planet peacefully.
    Oh, no I was thinking more that if we turned out to be the universes only option for self awareness, that would be a heavy responsibility in terms of our own survival, but if the universe is teeming with sentient life, then the pressure is off a bit in that respect.

As for the planet, I think there is plenty of evidence for there being other life sustaining planets, even as a mathematical probability that there are other planets in the goldilocks zone.
  3. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    13 Nov '12 15:28
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Have you ever heard of the Brookings report?

Have you ever seen Mars Attacks?

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Do you like movies about gladiators?

Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

😛
    Buddhas whistle too;
    the Great Joke,
    Ha Ha Ho Ho!
    Seeing the Punchline
    Your mirth rumbles
    the heavens.
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    13 Nov '12 22:54
    Originally posted by Taoman
    "NASA isn't saying much. It's too early. But a discovery is unfolding in astronomy at present that could change our view of reality.

It promises to have a deep effect on how we see ourselves and especially on how we view our status in the universe. The unofficial finding is that the galaxy seems to be teeming with habitable planets. Indeed, there appear to ...[text shortened]... our life view and our often planet-bound religious beliefs?

Sometimes wonder about that.
    Well let's face it. If astronomers found overwhelming evidence that life is present on some extrasolar planet, Christian fundamentalists would insist that it's an elaborate hoax. Like evolution...the Big Bang...

...and math.
  5. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    14 Nov '12 00:29
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Well let's face it. If astronomers found overwhelming evidence that life is present on some extrasolar planet, Christian fundamentalists would insist that it's an elaborate hoax. Like evolution...the Big Bang...

...and math.
    There are signs the fundamentalist species is beginning to slowly head toward extinction. Failure to adapt always does that. 😉
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    14 Nov '12 07:35
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    They just seem to skip over those bits or have some completly different interpretation.
    Just like Eziekels vision. It is more consistent with a ufo report than anything else I've come across.
    Agreed. Even when I bring it up in person to someone they get a "deer in the headlights" look and change the discussion. Fear is an interesting emotion sometimes.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '12 23:212 edits
    "NASA isn't saying much. It's too early. But a discovery is unfolding in astronomy at present that could change our view of reality.

It promises to have a deep effect on how we see ourselves and especially on how we view our status in the universe. The unofficial finding is that the galaxy seems to be teeming with habitable planets. Indeed, there appear to our life view and our often planet-bound religious beliefs?

Science is very late with this discovery.

The Vedas have been saying for eternity that there is life all throughout the universe........and universes.

Its old news for those who have embraced the eternal knowledge of the Vedas.

However its very bad news for the false religions of the world namely Christianity and Islam and Judaism.........and it will finally reveal the falsity of those religions.

For science to find life ......This is just supporting what the Vedas have been saying all along.

Because science cannot explore the universe and universes entirely with their pathetic equipment, they shall never come in contact with other civilizations which have been there for almost eternity. [at the most they shall only find evidence for life or if their lucky they shall find bacteria or viruses.]

Science exploring the cosmos is like ant exploring the earth............and they shall only be able to explore their back doorstep.

Question..... If science can only explore .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 % of the cosmos then how shall they ever know the extent of the life that is out there?

They wont.

But the Vedas are always there to assist them.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '12 23:38
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Science is very late with this discovery.

The Vedas have been saying for eternity that there is life all throughout the universe........and universes.

Its old news for those who have embraced the eternal knowledge of the Vedas.

However its very bad news for the false religions of the world namely Christianity and Islam and Judaism.........and it will f ...[text shortened]... of the life that is out there?

They wont.

But the Vedas are always there to assist them.
    You really do like spamming the number keys don't you...

So you think that science is limited to exploring a sphere with a radius of approximately 94 thousand kilometres...

That doesn't even get you to the moon...

((((3/4)*((1e-56)*(3.5e80)))/(pi))^(1/3))/1000
  9. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    15 Nov '12 05:371 edit

It promises to have a deep effect on how we see ourselves and especially on how we view our status in the universe. The unofficial finding is that the galaxy seems to be teeming with habitable planets. Indeed, there appear to our life view and our often planet-bound religious beliefs?

I often wonder about our planet-wide fixation on Mars. Of course, we've now discovered water on Mars, as well as what we believe are fossils of microbial organisms. Could it be that we originated there, destroyed the planet with our destructive ways, and escaped to Earth for the survival of the species?

Obviously it would be very difficult for a bible-believer like me to seriously consider such a thing. But though I am Christian, I still have an imagination.
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    15 Nov '12 05:59
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Obviously it would be very difficult for a bible-believer like me to seriously consider such a thing.
    Well that's good, because no respectable scientist is advancing such a theory.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Nov '12 15:08
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You really do like spamming the number keys don't you...

So you think that science is limited to exploring a sphere with a radius of approximately 94 thousand kilometres...

That doesn't even get you to the moon...

((((3/4)*((1e-56)*(3.5e80)))/(pi))^(1/3))/1000
    Hey, if you weren't going to jump on that number thing, I would have🙂
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '12 15:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Hey, if you weren't going to jump on that number thing, I would have🙂
    The pedent in me couldn't resist.
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Nov '12 16:08
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    The pedent in me couldn't resist.
    I think you mean 'pedant'.

Can't subscribe to that kind of thing myself.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '12 16:54
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I think you mean 'pedant'.

Can't subscribe to that kind of thing myself.
    My pedantry is more mathematical than gramatical.

I'd love to stay and rhyme, but I havn't the time.

See I can turn on a dime...
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Nov '12 17:25

It promises to have a deep effect on how we see ourselves and especially on how we view our status in the universe. The unofficial finding is that the galaxy seems to be teeming with habitable planets. Indeed, there appear to ...[text shortened]... our life view and our often planet-bound religious beliefs?

Nothing will be found. I am confident of that. What it will show is how incredible God is. Man cannot even begin to fathom how glorious God is. He has given each of these stars a name.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree