1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    The wonder of the human spirit and all its abstract facilities that make us what we are, and at the same time makes us unique individuals, might be a starting point for nutting out a common working definition of "soul" that eludes the members of this community.
    You could always try accepting the Christian definition of soul. Given the predominance of Christians here, it might be a good start. But I guess you can't do that, and thus why all the distortions here regarding it. It would be on par with accepting that God exists.

"Common working definition"? Are you serious? We can't even agree that God exists. Not much in this forum is a "common working definition" at all.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 15:051 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You could always try accepting the Christian definition of soul.

I am not a Christian. And I haven't heard any of the Christians here suggest a definition that I can accept.

"Common working definition"? Are you serious?

Sure, why not? Humans are amazing, don't you think - all these complete unique individuals interacting with each other on all kinds of abstract moral. emotional and intellectual levels? Surely there can be some definition we could nut out that at least acknowledges the individuality that we all display, and the human spirit and human condition that, together, we comprise and create? Nobody here denies all this is clearly going on: isn't it a possible starting point?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 17:533 edits
    Objectivity and honest intent?

"I thought we were talking about twhitehead here." These things don't concern him in the least. 'twas why I said don't buy into (his) hype. But I'm too late, I see.
    Originally posted by FMF
    "I wonder if this is always true. One of the regular posters here, after having a drug problem and dabbling in the occult, shopped around for a religion, chose one, and joined it."

Originally posted by twhitehead
    "I guess you are right. Humans are remarkably adept at willful self delusion."

>'Well said." (gb)

"Don't buy into the hype."

>"Brief Post = Accurate Words, Spoken with Honest Intent (Within Context) = Purpose: To Recognize & Compliment Objectivity." (gb)

"I thought we were talking about twhitehead here."[Suzianne]

>Suzianne, only one sentence is in play [not people]: "Humans are remarkably adept at willful self delusion." It could have been said by Mrs Santa Claus to Her Mr [who hangs out wearing Red & White PJ's around the house] or by Russ or Chris or Billy Graham or the New Pope From a High Balcony in Rome [in Latin] or by Pogo (standing on a rock in the middle of a pond saying, "We have met the enemy and he is us."] or your own spiritual leader. Person responsible for making this sententious sentence Isn't the Issue||Object Insight About Us All Is [and will always be]. (gb)
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 18:29
    You could always try accepting the Christian definition of soul. Given the predominance of Christians here, it might be a good start. But I guess you can't do that, and thus why all the distortions here regarding it. It would be on par with accepting that God exists.

"Common working definition"? Are you serious? We can't even agree that God exists. Not much in this forum is a "common working definition" at all.
    i think its possible to come to some sort of agreement. we all agree humans feel love, although we disagree where it comes from and what its made of. i would define spirit as zest for life and soul as the sum of our emotions. hows that for a start.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 18:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]You could always try accepting the Christian definition of soul.

I am not a Christian. And I haven't heard any of the Christians here suggest a definition that I can accept.

"Common working definition"? Are you serious?

Sure, why not? Humans are amazing, don't you think - all these complete unique individuals interacting with each other ...[text shortened]... reate? Nobody here denies all this is clearly going on: isn't it a possible starting point?[/b]
    Have you checked with the JWs, perhaps you can accept their definition? They are not the only ones that believe in their accepted definiton.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Apr '13 14:061 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    i think its possible to come to some sort of agreement. we all agree humans feel love, although we disagree where it comes from and what its made of. i would define spirit as zest for life and soul as the sum of our emotions. hows that for a start.
    What mechanism or faculty enables us to learn facts academically,
    assimilate knowledge, apply principles and gradually gain wisdom?
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Apr '13 14:40
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    we use a combination of various body parts working with the brain.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Apr '13 23:031 edit

we use a combination of various body parts working with the brain.
    Do we know with certainty the actual composition of the brain (including reception/rejection, processing, assimilation and storage of information; vocabulary construction and recall functions; the nature and cause of sleeping dreams and waking reveries; and the profound work done during Periods of Deep REM Sleep as well as the Reporting and Delivery of its Findings)?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 May '13 16:53
    theres a lot of sand in this forum and so many people kicking its hard to see it coming sometimes. you nip off for second to get an ice-cream when you get back somebodies jumped on your sandcastle, kicked your deck-chair over and smeared poo in your sunglasses and just as you are clearing up the beach ninja sneaks up, kicks sand in your face and disappears. thus is life on this beachy forum.
    Okay, I lol'ed at this. Very funny.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 May '13 17:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    "I wonder if this is always true. One of the regular posters here, after having a drug problem and dabbling in the occult, shopped around for a religion, chose one, and joined it."

Originally posted by twhitehead
    "I guess you are right. [b]Humans are remarkably adept at willful self delusion."

>'Well said." (gb)
    ...[text shortened]... ssue[/i]||Object Insight About Us All Is [and will always be]. (gb)
    .[/b]
    I'm not the one making it all about him. That's his job. Oh, sure, it looks like he's asking deep questions, when in reality all he's doing is winding up his own humor machine. Fine, give him fuel for it if you must, but I'm well past playing his games. Just thought you deserved to know he's making fun of you, too. It's especially fun for him when you actually turn around and defend him.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 May '13 17:02
    That would be intelligence.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 May '13 17:05
    Do we know with certainty the actual composition of the brain (including reception/rejection, processing, assimilation and storage of information; vocabulary construction and recall functions; the nature and cause of sleeping dreams and waking reveries; and the profound work done during Periods of Deep REM Sleep as well as the Reporting and Delivery of its Findings)?
    thats a lot of different questions snowballed up into one. i would say we know enough and can measure enough to say that no other explanation is necessary, if the body and mind are effected by a secondary source then we have two systems capable of doing the same thing, as there is no evidence of the secondary source and its not needed then why presume its there just because an ancient book says that it is.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '13 00:36

That would be intelligence.
    Intelligence Matters, almost as much as Objecivity and Commonsense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree