1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:05
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    "I guess you are right. Humans are remarkably adept at willful self delusion."

>Well said.

Originally posted by Suzianne
    "Don't buy into the hype."

Brief Post = Accurate Words, Spoken with Honest Intent (Within Context) = Purpose: To Recognize & Compliment Objectivity.
    Objectivity and honest intent?

I thought we were talking about twhitehead here. These things don't concern him in the least. 'twas why I said don't buy into (his) hype. But I'm too late, I see.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:08
    Originally posted by JS357
    OK Here's one, I would like to see how many here, [b]who came here unconvinced, speak up and tell you how helpful you have been. Don't you want to know that?[/b]
    Few indeed are those who come here unconvinced in the first place.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:09
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    what types of christian are there?
    Distraction. Congratulations, you have learned well from twhitehead and FMF.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I never said it didn't. That is why I like to hash out discussions until we find out who is right and who is wrong. Do you think the sweeping generalization is wrong? If so, why? I made it after admitting that I was probably wrong about my previous post, and I am quite ready to be persuaded that I am wrong again.
    Do you mean the sweeping generalization of calling choosing a religion a "willful self-delusion"?

Can you possibly imagine why I (a Christian) would think that it would be wrong to label it such?

More distraction/distortion.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:17
    Originally posted by JS357
    Your posts are not spiritually helpful to me.
    Is anything spiritually "helpful" to you?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    'Dealbreakers' in what sense? I simply described how someone, apparently, can just go out there and one day decide to believe something, in this case check out some religions [having not been religious] and choose one, which rather suggested that twhitehead's idea might not apply to everyone.
    'Dealbreakers' in the sense that it denies that they are on the correct spiritual path. That their faith might not be true. Once someone accepts Christ, their previous life means nothing. It is as 'dust in the wind'.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:24
    'Dealbreakers' in the sense that it denies that they are on the correct spiritual path. That their faith might not be true. Once someone accepts Christ, their previous life means nothing. It is as 'dust in the wind'.
    The point of discussion was whether people can just decide to believe something. There was nothing in what I said that referred to correct or incorrect spiritual paths.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:262 edits
    Distraction. Congratulations, you have learned well from twhitehead and FMF.
    i am not the atheist you were looking for Reveal Hidden Content
    waves hand mysteriously
    but thanks anyway twhite-yoda and obi fmf kanobi are excellent masters for a young atheist-padawan.

edit: distraction? from what?

edit: the penny has dropped.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:30
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    i am not the atheist you were looking for [hidden]waves hand mysteriously[/hidden] but thanks anyway twhite-yoda and obi fmf kanobi are excellent masters for a young atheist-padawan.

edit: distraction? from what?
    You're having Suzzand kicked in your face.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:31
    This forum proves that there is no consensus on spirituality and only atheists agree on things, and even then the "no god" version of reality has different takes.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:33
    I often wonder why people on this forum dont look at the word "spirit" and try to find some common ground with that word.
    I Find it the best word for getting certain points across, better than "god",etc.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:36
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I often wonder why people on this forum dont look at the word "spirit" and try to find some common ground with that word.
    The wonder of the human spirit and all its abstract facilities that make us what we are, and at the same time makes us unique individuals, might be a starting point for nutting out a common working definition of "soul" that eludes the members of this community.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    The point of discussion was whether people can just decide to believe something. There was nothing in what I said that referred to correct or incorrect spiritual paths.
    No, of course not. True to your own M.O., it was all inference.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:45
    No, of course not. True to your own M.O., it was all inference.
    How so? twhitehead said that people cannot decide to believe something; I offered an example of someone who did, according to their own testimony. Drawing inferences that are not there and then criticizing them is just plain old straw man stuff when you get right down to it. 😀
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 14:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    You're having Suzzand kicked in your face.
    theres a lot of sand in this forum and so many people kicking its hard to see it coming sometimes. you nip off for second to get an ice-cream when you get back somebodies jumped on your sandcastle, kicked your deck-chair over and smeared poo in your sunglasses and just as you are clearing up the beach ninja sneaks up, kicks sand in your face and disappears. thus is life on this beachy forum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree