1. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 01:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no what you have posted is not an argument, but an opinion. If you would like to substantiate an argument with something other than a mere opinion, then it may take on some credibility, as it stands, its nothing more than mere opinion. I advocate Biblical knowledge, that is, i did not author it, i am merely an advocate of it, therefore i can substan ...[text shortened]... m to feed. You shall now be pleased to state where i have judged and condemned, if you please.
    But rob, others use the same source with different conclusions. For example I myself have come to different conclusions from that source. The simple fact is that I hold you accountable for your interpretation of the source just as I am accountable for mine. There are plenty of people in caves in Af-Pak that are only advocating for a source. Are you the same as them? What makes you different? I am different because I take responsibility for my mind. I don't try to hide behind the skirts of an ambiguous text.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 02:48
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Some parents have so much (misplaced) faith in god that they will not take their children to see a doctor.They simply pray for god to cure their sick child. These parents are guilty of a very bad form of child abuse and should be thrown in jail. These cases are just more proof that prayer is not dependable. God is the 21st century witch doctor.
    Yes. And we should arrest the parents of the over 1000 children who die of diarrhea in India everyday for not taking their children to the doctor too.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 11:17
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    But rob, others use the same source with different conclusions. For example I myself have come to different conclusions from that source. The simple fact is that I hold you accountable for your interpretation of the source just as I am accountable for mine. There are plenty of people in caves in Af-Pak that are only advocating for a source. Are you the s ...[text shortened]... I take responsibility for my mind. I don't try to hide behind the skirts of an ambiguous text.
    i have thought and thought about this statement uncle Jack, written many responses and deleted each one. what is it you are attempting to procure here? that i am responsible for my interpretations? Yes of course this is the case. i must study and research and try to make sure that my evaluations are as accurately based as possible. why am i different? why is any true Christian different? simply because these are not dead words from a so called ambiguous text, but they are alive and at work in a persons life, through the application of the text! Also i have addressed this accusation before, that of hiding behind some skirt. If you please you shall answer, how is it possible that anyone can take greater responsibility than by exercising his own conscience? Is there a greater personal responsibility that you know of, if so, then please tell? As for us, this very fact makes us different, for we are not guided by the dictates of some Law, other than to love our God and our friends, therefore this gives free reign and necessitates the exercise of conscience, the greatest personal responsibility there is. i have given this basis before and you ignored it then Uncle Jack, will you do so again?
  4. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 18:13
    i have thought and thought about this statement uncle Jack, written many responses and deleted each one. what is it you are attempting to procure here? that i am responsible for my interpretations? Yes of course this is the case. i must study and research and try to make sure that my evaluations are as accurately based as possible. why am i diff ...[text shortened]... re is. i have given this basis before and you ignored it then Uncle Jack, will you do so again?
    I'll keep it simple: you have every right to your opinion, you have every right to believe that your opinion is correct. I just turns me off to hear someone categorically reject any possibility that they could be wrong. To me that is not a spiritual attitude. When the Buddha was asked one of those questions that, as he put it, can never make anyone smarter because it can only be answered with an opinion: he didn't answer. A disciple said, "Why did you not answer?" And he said. "No matter what my answer would have been, the questioner would have thought that the question was settled and he would stop seeking." Caring is about seeking those answers. In my experience, when people quit seeking they start putting ideas before people (and that is the way of a devil not a caring human being.) But again - you're free to disagree but I will be disappointed because I would prefer a world where we all care more about each other than about being right about anything.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 21:27
    it may interest you to note that faith healing is not a biblical teaching.
    You don't believe in Christ's ability to heal supernaturally?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 21:29
    ... i am God, i have authority to pass judgement.
    Please explain. Thanks.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 21:32
    I just turns me off to hear someone categorically reject any possibility that they could be wrong.
    Ditto.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 21:38
    .. faith healing is not a biblical teaching. ...
    James 5:13 - 15 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Sounds like a clear case of faith healing.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 21:58
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Please explain. Thanks.
    explain?, you need someone to explain sarcasm?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 21:59
    You don't believe in Christ's ability to heal supernaturally?
    yes i believe in Christ's ability to heal supernaturally, but we are not talking of Christ, we are talking of so called faith healers!
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 22:08
    explain?, you need someone to explain sarcasm?
    Understood and sorry. I've met a few people with some rather extreme beliefs about the nature of God! 🙂
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 22:10
    yes i believe in Christ's ability to heal supernaturally, but we are not talking of Christ, we are talking of so called faith healers!
    Yep, easy to get muddled around language. "Faith healing" is very different to "healing by faith" in Christ. (At least to those who are Christians)
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 22:113 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    James 5:13 - 15 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Sounds like a clear case of faith healing.
    (1 Corinthians 12:7-9) . . .But the manifestation of the spirit is given to each one for a beneficial purpose.  For example, to one there is given through the spirit speech of wisdom, to another speech of knowledge according to the same spirit,  to another faith by the same spirit, to another gifts of healings by that one spirit,

Paul explains that in the early christians these gifts of the spirit were manifest, he goes on

(1 Corinthians 12:31) . . .But keep zealously seeking the greater gifts. And yet I show you a surpassing way.

therefore what is Paul saying, when he states, i shall show you a surpassing way? Clearly that the identifying mark of true Christianity is not miraculous healings or other gifts, but love!

what was to happen to the manifestation of these, gifts of the spirit? Paul goes on.

(1 Corinthians 13:8-13) . . .Love never fails. But whether there are gifts of prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues,they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with.  For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially;  but when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with.  When I was a babe, I used to speak as a babe, to think as a babe, to reason as a babe; but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the traits of a babe.  For at present we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face to face. At present I know partially, but then I shall know accurately even as I am accurately known.  Now, however, there remain faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

clearly Paul is showing that when the Christian congregation was in its infancy, these things were necessary, but they were never intended to be a permanent feature, Love was the permanent feature. I liken it to the scaffolding on a building, in that it is not designed to be a permanent feature of the building, but that it is necessary for its establishment. this is the same as the gifts of the spirit, essential in the beginning, but to be done away with as Paul clearly states. how will you reason on such scriptures? who can tell?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 22:15
    Understood and sorry. I've met a few people with some rather extreme beliefs about the nature of God! 🙂
    Lol, even my delusions have limitations? But Raj, Whoa!
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 22:59
    I'll keep it simple: you have every right to your opinion, you have every right to believe that your opinion is correct. I just turns me off to hear someone categorically reject any possibility that they could be wrong. To me that is not a spiritual attitude. When the Buddha was asked one of those questions that, as he put it, can never make anyone sma ...[text shortened]... er a world where we all care more about each other than about being right about anything.
    caring is a matter of conscience, why do some care and others do not? i say its the dictates of conscience. why should i entertain the possibility that i could be wrong when i have evidence that i have evaluated correctly? to do so is to give vent to fear, and fear is destructive. also when one is in doubt, one may be blown, hither and zither by every wind of teaching, we are Christians we are not like that. we have a perfect exemplar whom we endeavour to emulate to the best of our ability, an example of selflessness and putting others interests ahead of our own, what greater caring act could there be?

(James 1:6-8) . . .for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven by the wind and blown about.  In fact, let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from Jehovah;  he is an indecisive man, unsteady in all his ways.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree