Faith transcends logic

Faith transcends logic

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
318d

@kellyjay said
Frankly I don’t believe you since I have been asking for your reasoning saying mindlessness could construct life, maintain it, and cause it to become more functionally complex.
You're trying pretty desperately to hijack the thread and go off topic since you have no argument here. So I guess we're done.

You already have an active thread on the subject in the Science forum (which I already replied to). I'll answer any questions you have there.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
318d

@vivify said
You're trying pretty desperately to hijack the thread and go off topic since you have no argument here. So I guess we're done.

You already have an active thread on the subject in the Science forum (which I already replied to). I'll answer any questions you have there.
Not hijacking, applying faith to what is commonly accepted, sometimes with evidence and sometimes not. You land in the nothing to show for your faith area as far as I can tell.

Über-Nerd

Moves
318d
2 edits

@kellyjay said
Why not? Why do you think the universe didn’t have a beginning? What makes you think that, what is it about the universe that suggests to you it has no beginning? That a belief without any evidence, or reason, is it simply a blind statement of faith?
It’s not a burning question for me, as it obviously is for you. Nothing in my life depends on my knowing one way or the other. Nothing about the universe suggests to me either that it had a beginning or did not have a beginning. It’s only (some) humans, not the universe, who insist on posing this question and who, having posed it, then insist on contriving a definitive answer. So take your pick of myths: it had a beginning, it had no beginning, it doesn’t matter whether it had a beginning or no beginning—there’s at least one religion which espouses each of those positions.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
318d

@moonbus said
It’s not a burning question for me, as it obviously is for you. Nothing in my life depends on my knowing one way or the other. Nothing about the universe suggests to me either that it had a beginning or did not have a beginning. It’s only (some) humans, not the universe, who insist on posing this question and who, having posed it, then insist on contriving a definitive answer ...[text shortened]... ad a beginning or no beginning—there’s at least one religion which espouses each of those positions.
Your whole existence plays out on how it all started, and you don't care, that is on you.

rain

Moves
318d

Hey Kelly, I'm ready to answer your stupid questions:

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/science/abiogenesis-and-evolution-james-tour.197029/page-28

Ask away.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
318d

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
318d

@vivify said
Hey Kelly, I'm ready to answer your stupid questions:

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/science/abiogenesis-and-evolution-james-tour.197029/page-28

Ask away.
I'll ask this one here the others on the other page.
Have I gone out of my way to insult you, your ideals, or anything about you?

rain

Moves
318d
3 edits

@kellyjay said
Have I gone out of my way to insult you, your ideals, or anything about you?

Considering the complex nature of life, its functional complexity with systems within systems, on-off switches causing things to begin and end when needed, and error checking. You believe mindlessness is responsible, if so what makes you think that?
You're right. My insults weren't warranted and I fully apologize.

My issue is that you know how silly religious faith is when you look at any other religion that's not yours. I'm sure you shake your head at how nonsensical The Koran or Hinduism is, yet can't see that your religion is no less illogical.

Regarding "mindlessness" I don't have a belief either way regarding whether way regarding if an intelligent designer started the universe or not. In fact, I'm not even against the idea. There's simply not evidence to support such an idea at this time.

Über-Nerd

Moves
318d
6 edits

@kellyjay said
Your whole existence plays out on how it all started, and you don't care, that is on you.
No, my whole existence does not play out on how you think it all started. No more so than my currently running chess game plays out on how the very first chess game started.

”That is on you”

Is that some kind of a taunt? Do you think you know something I don’t? Maybe you think I’m steaming full speed ahead to a lake of fire if I don’t believe something, is that it? If I understand anything at all about the prophet you claim to profess, it's that it does not matter what you believe. If there really is a Last Judgment, it's not about what you know or think you know or how well you can quote Scripture.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
318d

@vivify said
There's simply not evidence to support such an idea at this time.
Pardon my butting in, but isn't that a definition of faith? A belief in something without evidence?

Über-Nerd

Moves
318d
5 edits

@suzianne said
Pardon my butting in, but isn't that a definition of faith? A belief in something without evidence?
My mentor said that faith is being prepared to believe something, no matter what the evidence might be. Including counter-evidence.

It’s not a stupid position to take. It’s just that when I look at what KellyJay, for example, actually believes, regardless whether he has evidence to support it, it’s so incoherent it makes no sense to me.

If one takes the biblical account, as KJ does, as a history of what actually happened, then one plants oneself in a universe of discourse where evidence matters. Whereas, if one takes the biblical account as I do, and as I think you are able to understand even if you don't entirely agree with it, as a moral allegory -- it's about mankind's wherefore, not about how he got here -- then one enters a different universe of discourse where physical evidence plays a very minor role and not the decisive one.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
318d

@moonbus said
No, my whole existence does not play out on how you think it all started. No more so than my currently running chess game plays out on how the very first chess game started.

”That is on you”

Is that some kind of a taunt? Do you think you know something I don’t? Maybe you think I’m steaming full speed ahead to a lake of fire if I don’t believe something, i ...[text shortened]... a Last Judgment, it's not about what you know or think you know or how well you can quote Scripture.
Not knowing how it all begins means you have no clue why we are here and where we are going. It's no different than the game of chess, you are making moves without knowing if they are legal or not, or even if there are legal rules, and for that matter what if any consequences follow.

"If there is a last Judgment..." Everything that followed carries the same weight as your proclamations on anything else you have no interest in knowing anything about. Jesus is the Son of God, He did not run around saying "Thus says the Lord" Instead, He said, "I say to you." The living Word became a man, and you don't care.

Über-Nerd

Moves
318d

@kellyjay said
Not knowing how it all begins means you have no clue why we are here and where we are going. It's no different than the game of chess, you are making moves without knowing if they are legal or not, or even if there are legal rules, and for that matter what if any consequences follow.

"If there is a last Judgment..." Everything that followed carries the same weight as you ...[text shortened]... says the Lord" Instead, He said, "I say to you." The living Word became a man, and you don't care.
Sez the man who believes in talking snakes.

Just because you can't see where I am or where I am going, doesn't mean I can't.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
318d

@moonbus said
Sez the man who believes in talking snakes.

Just because you can't see where I am or where I am going, doesn't mean I can't.
I believe in a spiritual world that can affect this one, a God who can speak the universe into being out of nothing, and holds it together by the power of His Word. A talking snake is nothing next to a whole universe, time, consciousness, symbolic meaning, love, hate, and so on you have no explanations for and thinks trying to understand how it all got here is not worth your time.

Über-Nerd

Moves
318d
3 edits

@kellyjay said
I believe in a spiritual world that can affect this one, a God who can speak the universe into being out of nothing, and holds it together by the power of His Word. A talking snake is nothing next to a whole universe, time, consciousness, symbolic meaning, love, hate, and so on you have no explanations for and thinks trying to understand how it all got here is not worth your time.
You worship words. Speaking the universe into existence out of nothing... If it's not written down in the Bible, you don't accept it...