1. Maryland
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 21:06
    Theists say they have faith, but in reality, what they really have is merely hope!
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 21:09
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Theists say they have faith, but in reality, what they really have is merely hope!
    Confidence.
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 21:15
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Confidence.
    You are confident in something that has never been proven?
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 21:17
    Yes.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 21:29
    paraphrased, the bible says believe first, then you will see...seems like a paradox, but it works...What is required is lots of reading, praying and obeying. This builds faith, then come the results which will be evident in any Christians life. The bible says God is eager to reward those who seek Him...
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 22:57
    yes, faith is hope. what is your point?
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 22:59
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    paraphrased, the bible says believe first, then you will see...seems like a paradox, but it works...What is required is lots of reading, praying and obeying. This builds faith, then come the results which will be evident in any Christians life. The bible says God is eager to reward those who seek Him...
    yeah, i don't agree with this either. you believe in god or you don't if you find the bible a little hard to believe, reading it more won't make it less fairy taleish
  8. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 23:04
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yes, faith is hope. what is your point?
    No, not really. Whoever posted "confidence" was right. Faith involves a confidence that hope doesn't necessarily have. This year, I have confidence/faith that I have a classroom to return to in August. Last year I only had hope, but no faith because I was one of the hundreds who were laid off during budget cuts.
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 23:23
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Yes.
    precisely.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 23:431 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yeah, i don't agree with this either. you believe in god or you don't if you find the bible a little hard to believe, reading it more won't make it less fairy taleish
    I'm sorry, but the bible says faith comes by hearing the words of God which are found in the pages of scripture...
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 05:56
    paraphrased, the bible says believe first, then you will see...seems like a paradox, but it works...
    Its not a paradox at all. Everybody knows that self delusion works. What you should be worried about is that it works regardless of the religion. It even works for non-religious beliefs.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 09:50
    I'm sorry, but the bible says faith comes by hearing the words of God which are found in the pages of scripture...
    actually, i have faith without hearing the bible. i have faith in the christian god and in jesus. that doesn't stop me from reading the bible and figuring out for myself what can be believed and what not.

no matter how many times i read the noah story, i would still believe it is a horrible genocide story invented by some barbarians who couldn't see a deity in other ways than vindictive. and i don't need the noah story except for the very loose interpretation of it to appreciate jesus. i also don't need everything in the bible to be true in order to believe jesus is real.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 10:01
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    No, not really. Whoever posted "confidence" was right. Faith involves a confidence that hope doesn't necessarily have. This year, I have confidence/faith that I have a classroom to return to in August. Last year I only had hope, but no faith because I was one of the hundreds who were laid off during budget cuts.
    yeah, your example doesn't compute. you have different sentiments about identical situations.

on a side note, i might figure out what you mean. you can force the note to say that faith in one phenomenon (object or event) is when you are under the impression that there is a very high probability for that phenomenon to occur. hope is when you believe there is a low probability for a phenomenon to occur but you would very much like to.
    am i correct? is this what you are trying to say?

if yes, i believe it is a little forced. hope can be had when there are good chances. and some will have confidence in something even if it has a small chance. like when the americans had faith and confidence and hope that george bush will do well a second time so they voted for him.
  14. Maryland
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 12:15
    The bible has been proven wrong about so many things we do know about, how can it be trusted about things we don't know about?
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 12:57
    The bible has been proven wrong about so many things we do know about, how can it be trusted about things we don't know about?
    kinda like the boy who cried wolf, right? it was proven by that story that if someone tells a lie one time, that someone is incapable of telling the truth for ever after.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree