Famous Scientists Who Believed in God

Famous Scientists Who Believed in God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by humy
and that it just happened by accident.

how many times must I and others point this out to you moron:

[b]EVOLUTION IS NOT AN ACCIDENT

Darwin never believed that evolution is an accident nor claimed any such thing.
Implicitly the inevitability of the evolution process is part of the theory of evolution.

[quote] we do not have t ...[text shortened]... y question:

how does social Darwinism logically/rationally follow from biological Darwinism?[/b]
Darwin was ignorant about DNA/RNA you moron. If he did not believe
that God was the creator, he had no other choice but to believe it just
happened by accident. Now after it got started he knew that there
was some forces at work that caused the adaptation by natural selection,
but he had no idea what they were, because he had never dreamed of
DNA/RNA. He believed all living things descended from a common
ancestor, like a single cell amoeba. He was wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoeba

Moves
26 Apr 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
DNA/RNA. ...[text shortened]... mmon

I really don't know what point you think you are making but the
discovery of the mechanism of inherited traits and variation and
adaptation isn't evidence against or a problem for evolutionary
theory.

Also we know what an amoeba is.

h

Moves
26 Apr 12
2 edits

Darwin was ignorant about DNA/RNA you moron.

so? how is Darwin not knowing about DNA relevant?

If he did not believe that God was the creator, he had no other choice but to believe it just
happened by accident.

wrong. He came to believe neither just like all people that understand his theory.

EVOLUTION IS NOT AN ACCIDENT.

get it?
Nobody that understand evolution says nor believes life is "just an accident".

The rest of your post also makes no sense.
He never believed that all living things must have descended from an amoeba.
He never claimed to know which species was the first let alone that the first species is still alive.
In fact, strictly speaking, it isn't even part of the evolution theory that all life descended from a common ancestry for there is nothing in evolution theory that rules out or logically contradicts the possibility of modern life evolving from two or more independently formed life forms although the actual physical evidence still clearly points to a common ancestry.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
26 Apr 12
1 edit

If he did not believe that God was the creator, he had no other choice but to believe it just happened by accident.

Darwin did believe that God was the creator and he was very attached to Paley's account in terms of intelligent design. He was also, in his early days, satisfied with the Bible as an account of the creation and the history of the world. It was not Darwin, but Lyell whose geology shattered the credibility of the bibilical account. It took Darwin literally decades of research to convince himself that the notion of design was not credible and that, indeed, there was no necessity for any notion of either design or intention or purpose to account for the differentiation of species. His biography shows that this was a very paingful and difficult process for him, which often made him very ill, and that he was driven to his conclusions only by the weight of evidence before his very eyes. That is why he was so slow and reluctant to publish. He kept searching for different lines of evidence that might somehow rescue the notion of design. The loss of religious faith was something that he was not comfortable with until quite late in his long life and of course his wife and family remained firm believers.

it just happened by accident.
You may as well accept that for Darwin the objective was not to explain how life started, but to explain how different species evolved, based on the generally recognised evidence that they did and there are indeed so many and such diverse species alive today and a great many more no longer alive. He was a biologist and his expertise - especially at the time he was alive and working - was within the work that he did, not the outstanding questions that he left for others to solve. While creationists like to personalise all of biological science around the name of Darwin, he was in fact just one man in a long series of scientists. He was brilliant in his work but not a demi-god with all seeing and all knowing insight into the meaning of life, the universe and all its mysteries. The notion of evolution was already widespread in his day and even his own contribution, the theory of natural selection, was arrived at independently by another scientist called Wallace.

Now after it got started he knew that there was some forces at work that caused the adaptation by natural selection, but he had no idea what they were, because he had never dreamed of DNA/RNA.

It is terribly hard to understand what point you imagine you make with your argument about this. You are quite right that Darwin did not have genetics to assist him and it would have enormously reduced the difficulty of his work if he had. Science is worked out within history and not with the benefit of hindsight. What is clear today was arrived at with great difficulty. However, he did not require that notion for his theory and the discovery of the gene confirmed and did not at all call into question his theories. If genetics was in any way incompatible with Darwin's research that would be both surprising and also would have led to the dismissal of his theory. He was not proved wrong - he was proved right. Put simply, Darwin describes what happened and genetics explains how that happened.

To a large extent, the reason people searched for the gene was because Darwin's work pointed them in that direction. Given what Darwin demonstrated, there had to be something of that kind.

He believed all living things descended from a common ancestor, like a single cell amoeba. He was wrong.

Genetics has proved that Darwin was right and all living things on Earth share a common ancestor. These have been mapped out in tremendous detail and are described in Dawkin's book "The Ancestor's Tale." Although it is highly readable, I have to admit that the list of ancestors is so lengthy that it becomes hard work to keep reading to the end. After all, the record has been tracked back over several thousands of millions of years, and a lot has happened in that time. But if you doubt this then I have named a book that sets that ancestry out for you in detail. Go on - at least browse it.

you moron.
Now instead of calling other people morons, I wish you would find another topic or otherwise, go and read something useful before wasting everyone's time with your ignorant disputations on a subject you know so little about that it is laughable. Endlessly repeating the same ignorant, tiresome and boring pronouncements is not a debate or a discussion, it is more like tinnatus.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
27 Apr 12

add: "knows nothing about darwin" to your growing list of ignoramus rantings.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Apr 12

Originally posted by finnegan
To a large extent, the reason people searched for the gene was because Darwin's work pointed them in that direction. Given what Darwin demonstrated, there had to be something of that kind.
That characteristics were inherited was well known before Darwins time (after all, farmers had been using it for millennia) and was something Darwin used as source material, not the other way around. He even did some experimental breeding himself. The 'father of genetics', Mendel was about the same time as Darwin and did not base his work on Darwins theory. In fact, I believe Darwins ideas on genetics were incorrect and Mendel did better.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
27 Apr 12

how to defeat atheistic arguments, in 6 easy steps.

&feature=g-vrec

j

Moves
27 Apr 12
2 edits

Originally posted by finnegan
It is amusing though to hear that chatty old Irishman waffling away to no purpose and relishing the attention received. Oxford University has a long tradition of leaving its tenured professors to talk about whatever they feel like without intererence, even if - as in this case - it entails such a huge diversion from the expertise for which they were appoint ve a conversation. (A bit of proof reading would also be courteous but that's incidental).
John Lennox: "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah......blah"

And you want your post to be taken with seriousness after this immature display ?

Shame on you Dr.

Finnigan: - Blah Blah Blah Blah ... blah ... blah, blah, blah ...

I think you should go back to your other posture. I actually read through your first post more than once very carefully.

j

Moves
27 Apr 12
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
Its amazing that after that excellent post by finnegan you can simply repeat your claim instead of giving a sincere apology for making such ridiculous claims then referring us to a despicable video.
Even if you have a point, or think your claim is valid, you have to admit that the video you referred us to in defence of your claims contains despicable pro ...[text shortened]... to distance yourself from it and appologize.
Your lack of integrity is not helping your cause.
Amazing huh?

This is all I thought to respond:

As a reasonable man I am willing to acknowledge that the historical roots of Nazism are more nuanced and complex than a simple opportunistic analysis could make.

There is still a connection between Darwin's "Favored Races" explanation via Natural Selection and Hitler's enthusiasm.

It may be amazing to you that I don't buy that there is no connection simply because other factors were involved in the causes of German aggression.

Maybe you never had anybody ask you to see your physical TAIL because they thought you were lower on the Evolutionary scale. I know people who were asked that and felt by the curious to locate the tail on the black man.

US black soldiers fighting in Italy sometimes were asked about their tails. And some of their children also did after coming back to the US.

Darwin's concepts played a big part in Facists' views of race. And just like Evos distance themselves from origin of life problems, they also distance themselves from Darwin's enfluence on Nazi philosophy.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
27 Apr 12

Originally posted by jaywill
Amazing huh?

This is all I thought to respond:

As a reasonable man I am willing to acknowledge that the historical roots of Nazism are more nuanced and complex than a simple opportunistic analysis could make.

There is still a connection between Darwin's "Favored Races" explanation via Natural Selection and Hitler's enthusiasm ...[text shortened]... life problems, they also distance themselves from Darwin's enfluence on Nazi philosophy.
Why do you think your God created life on this planet in such a way that eugenics is possible?

j

Moves
27 Apr 12
1 edit

Hint.

When Atheists and Evolutionists poo poo a video it may be a very good one.

And you don't have to pay attention to remarks about the Irish or other racist or self deprivating comments concerning ethnicity.

j

Moves
27 Apr 12
3 edits

Beware of Atheists trying to re-write history.

Copied without permission from the Gospel Hour wbesite: ( http://www.gospelhour.net/2232.html )

Webster's Third New International Dictionary defines the word "eugenics" as follows: "A science that deals with the improvement of hereditary qualities in a series of generations of race or breed, especially by social control of human mating or reproduction" (p. 783). Sir Francis Galton, a British scientist and a cousin of Charles Darwin, coined the term, "eugenics." He insisted that we can and should improve the human race by a careful selection of parents. He believed it so strongly that he left money to establish the Chair of Eugenics at London University. If Galton accepted the evolutionary views of his cousin, Chares Darwin, I can understand his support for eugenics. After all, if human beings are only animals—as evolutionists teach—what could be wrong with trying to improve people as we try to improve hogs, cattle, chickens, horses and other animals?

If you grew up on the farm, as I did, or if you know anything about cattle or hogs or horses or chickens, you know that every farmer wants the best cattle and hogs and horses and chickens he can raise. So farmers for generations have sought to develop the very best animals possible. They do this through mating the best females with the strongest males. If they want more bacon from hogs, they strive to develop hogs that will produce more bacon. Does anyone have a moral objection to using scientific methods to improve farm animals? I certainly do not; nor do I know anyone who does. But is it moral if we use the same approach to improving human beings?

Everyone who lived through the abominable Nazi era knows that Hitler and his reprobate colleagues treated human beings like our farmers treat farm animals, that is, they experimented on them in order to "improve" German citizens. Hitler wanted the handsomest and strongest men to mate with the most beautiful German girls. Apparently he was not concerned about their marrying; he just wanted them to produce beautiful and bright Aryan babies. The goal of Hitler's plan was the development of the "master race." That meant, among other things, no Jews, nor blacks, and nor any one else Hitler considered subhuman. Incidentally, Hitler borrowed many of his ideas from Friedrich Nietzsche, one of Christianity's and humanity's greatest enemies.

Some of the information I shall be providing for you today about eugenics comes from the book, The Nazi Doctors: Medical Killing and the Psychology of Genocide (New York: Basic Books, Publishers, Inc., 1986), by Dr. Robert Jay Lifton, a distinguished American psychiatrist. Dr. Lifton's book is one of the most disturbing and enlightening books you can find on eugenics as practiced by Hitler and his henchmen. I often tell people that Dr. Lifton's book is not the kind of book you want to read just before retiring at night, unless you belong to the Neo-Nazi party or to the skinheads. Dr. Lifton quotes Hitler as saying: "The volkisch state must see to it that only the healthy beget children...Here the state must act as the guardian of a millennial future. ...It must put the most modern medical means in the service of this knowledge. It must declare unfit for propagation all who are in any way visibly sick or who have inherited a disease and can therefore pass it on" (p. 22).

Dr. Lifton provides a list of conditions Hitler wanted eliminated: congenital feeblemindedness, manic depressive sanity, epilepsy, Huntington's chorea, inherited blindness, hereditary deafness and grave bodily malformation. He also wanted the people who had these conditions surgically sterilized. He demanded that hundreds of thousands of Germans be sterilized (p. 25). One internationally prominent Swiss born psychiatrist, Dr. Ernst Rudin "extolled Hitler and the Nazi movement for its 'decisive...path-breaking step toward making racial hygiene a fact among the German people...and inhibiting the propagation of the congenitally ill and inferior." He praised the Nuremburg Laws for "preventing the further penetration of the German gene pool by Jewish blood" (p. 28).

Moves
27 Apr 12

http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Adolf_Hitler

Hitler was, seemingly, not an atheist. Hitler said in his famous book, Mein Kampf, that he was doing the work of God:

"I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews. I am doing the Lord's work."

And in 1938, Hitler declared, "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so." Also, the Nazi belt buckle had "God with us" etched on it. Hitler also drew much of his inspiration and anti-Semitic hate from the works of the protestant reformer Martin Luther. For example, in nearly every speech or text that Hitler besmirched the Jewish people, he would make direct reference to "their lies". However, in Hitlers entire career, he never enumerated what the Jewish lies were. This is because the "lies" in question were a part of contemporary Germanic idiomatic language.

That is, when Hitler was speaking to Christian Germans, he could rest assured that they would be very familiar with the "Jewish Lies" as they were made popular by the most renown German author of all time, Martin Luther. In his pinnacle work, On Jews and their Lies, Martin Luther, spelled out very clearly that the lies where the Jewish denial of Jesus as the Messiah. As punishment for the lies, Martin Luther spelled out a program of treatment for the "Jews" that Hitler followed specifically. This finally included Martin Luther's command that good Christians should kill Jews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler#Religious_views

Religious views
Main article: Adolf Hitler's religious views

Hitler's parents were Roman Catholics, but after leaving home he never attended Mass or received the sacraments.[306] He favoured aspects of Protestantism that suited his own views, and adopted some elements of the Catholic Church's hierarchical organisation, liturgy, and phraseology in his politics.[307][308] After his move to Germany, Hitler did not leave his church. Historian Richard Steigmann-Gall concludes that he "can be classified as Catholic",[309] but that "nominal church membership is a very unreliable gauge of actual piety in this context."[310]

In public, Hitler often praised Christian heritage and German Christian culture, and professed a belief in an "Aryan" Jesus Christ—a Jesus who fought against the Jews.[311] He spoke of his interpretation of Christianity as a central motivation for his antisemitism (hatred of the Jews), stating that "As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice."[312][313] In private, Hitler was more critical of traditional Christianity, considering it a religion fit only for slaves; he admired the power of Rome but maintained a severe hostility towards its teaching.[314] Historian John S. Conway states that Hitler held a "fundamental antagonism" towards the Christian churches.[315]
Hitler meeting Haj Amin al-Husseini, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem. December 1941

In political relations with the church, Hitler adopted a strategy "that suited his immediate political purposes".[315] According to a US Office of Strategic Services report, Hitler had a general plan, even before his rise to power, to destroy the influence of Christian churches within the Reich.[316][317] The report titled "The Nazi Master Plan" stated that the destruction of the church was a goal of the movement right from the start, but that it was inexpedient to express this extreme position publicly.[318] His intention, according to Bullock, was to wait until the war was over to destroy the influence of Christianity.[314]

Hitler admired the Muslim military tradition, but considered Arabs as "racially inferior".[319] He believed that the racially-superior Germans, in conjunction with Islam, could have conquered much of the world during the Middle Ages.[320] During a meeting with a Japanese professor in 1931, Hitler praised the Shinto religion and Japanese culture.[321] Although Himmler was interested in the occult, the interpretation of runes, and tracing the prehistoric roots of the Germanic people, Hitler was more pragmatic, and his ideology centred on more practical concerns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Darwinism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy

...Because of the negative connotations of the theory of social Darwinism, especially after the atrocities of the Second World War (including the Holocaust) the term is generally seen as pejorative, and few people would describe themselves as Social Darwinists after the war.[7] Opponents of evolution theory have often maintained that social Darwinism is a logical entailment of a belief in evolutionary theory, while biologists and historians maintain that it is rather a perversion of Darwin's ideas.[8] While most scholars recognize the historical link between Darwin's theory and forms of social Darwinism, they also maintain that social Darwinism is not a necessary consequence of the principles of biological evolution,[9] and that using biological evolution as a justification for policies of inequality amounts to committing the naturalistic fallacy. ...

...Friedrich Nietzsche's philosophy addressed the question of artificial selection, but it was built against Darwinian theories of natural selection. His point of view on sickness and health, in particular, opposed him to the concept of biological adaptation, forged by Spencer's "fitness". He criticized Haeckel, Spencer, and Darwin, sometimes under the same banner. Nietzsche thought that, in specific cases, sickness was necessary and even helpful.[21] Thus, he wrote:

Wherever progress is to ensue, deviating natures are of greatest importance. Every progress of the whole must be preceded by a partial weakening. The strongest natures retain the type, the weaker ones help to advance it. Something similar also happens in the individual. There is rarely a degeneration, a truncation, or even a vice or any physical or moral loss without an advantage somewhere else. In a warlike and restless clan, for example, the sicklier man may have occasion to be alone, and may therefore become quieter and wiser; the one-eyed man will have one eye the stronger; the blind man will see deeper inwardly, and certainly hear better. To this extent, the famous theory of the survival of the fittest does not seem to me to be the only viewpoint from which to explain the progress of strengthening of a man or of a race.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Apr 12

It may be amazing to you that I don't buy that there is no connection simply because other factors were involved in the causes of German aggression.
What is amazing is your blatant dishonesty. You are deliberately misrepresenting what I said was the source of my amazement because you don't want to do what I suggested.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Apr 12

Hint.

When Atheists and Evolutionists poo poo a video it may be a very good one.
Hint.

When a theist posts a video which is poo poo'd by an atheist and instead of either substantiating the content of the video or admitting that it deserved poo pooing the theist instead simply ignores the poo poo and restates his claim then that theist is being dishonest. He knows his video is poo poo but he hopes that some people will nevertheless be fooled.

I challenge you to go back and read the poo pooing and either admit that it was valid criticism of the video or give a rebuttal.