1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 10:18
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Okay.

What I am arguing against is the YouTube clip presented by Jaywill to the forum, in which it is argued that the Holocaust was a product of Darwinism and it is also argued that the alternative to the Nazi's violent racism is to adopt a Creationist viewpoint and fight against modern evils like euthenasia and abortion and presumably (not mentioned of ...[text shortened]... s he gets very cross about people failing to watch the clips he posts on the forum.
    Good points.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 10:26
    Originally posted by humy
    Darwin believed that life appeared on earth by some freak
    accidental occurance, without the intervention of God.

-this is NOT part of the theory of evolution but rather is to do with abiogenesis.
    The theory of evolution is NOT a theory of the origins of the first life.
    Hypothetically, even if the formation of the first life involved abs ...[text shortened]... l life shares the SAME common ancestor, that would not in anyway logically contradict evolution.
    Stellspalfie stated the following on a different thresd;

"anybody with half a brain knows doritos evolved out of the primordial tangy salsa soup. developing from the simple crisp, to the now extinct monster munch and onto the hula hoop, quaver and pringle, eventually the dorito. anybody who claims otherwise is a dishonest snack hating fool."

After reading that I now look at evolution in a different way. I can not argue against that eloquent description of evolution in action. I praise the Lord for my new understanding of the place for evolution -- doritos. HalleluYah !!!
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 11:16
    Okay.

What I am arguing against is the YouTube clip presented by Jaywill to the forum, in which it is argued that the Holocaust was a product of Darwinism and it is also argued that the alternative to the Nazi's violent racism is to adopt a Creationist viewpoint and fight against modern evils like euthenasia and abortion and presumably (not mentioned of ...[text shortened]... s he gets very cross about people failing to watch the clips he posts on the forum.
    Jaywill has yet to even begin dealing with that video and my criticism of it. This is curious as he gets very cross about people failing to watch the clips he posts on the forum.

? ? Whatever gave you that idea ?
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 11:50
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Jaywill has yet to even begin dealing with that video and my criticism of it. This is curious as he gets very cross about people failing to watch the clips he posts on the forum.

? ? Whatever gave you that idea ?
    HINT.

Before watching this video first observe what posters like whitehead, googlefudge, humy, and VoidSpirit say about it.

If they say they couldn't make it through three minutes and such stuff, it is probably worth seeing.

For a quick example (yes - you were not cross on this occasion).
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 12:03
    HINT.

Before watching this video first observe what posters like whitehead, googlefudge, humy, and VoidSpirit say about it.

If they say they couldn't make it through three minutes and such stuff, it is probably worth seeing.

For a quick example (yes - you were not cross on this occasion).
    LOL. No anger there. Actually I find it quite amusing.

No anger.

(I am a little behind on responses)
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 12:38
    Okay.

Yes I have been following your argument with Jaywill and have been agreeing with you the
    whole way (excepting my very slight quibble that we have already dealt with).

I otherwise agree completely with what you have been saying and the erudite way you have
    been saying it.

I have also been impressed with your polite restraint in the way you have handled the issue.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 20:22
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Stellspalfie stated the following on a different thresd;

"anybody with half a brain knows doritos evolved out of the primordial tangy salsa soup. developing from the simple crisp, to the now extinct monster munch and onto the hula hoop, quaver and pringle, eventually the dorito. anybody who claims otherwise is a dishonest snack hating fool."

After read ...[text shortened]... raise the Lord for my new understanding of the place for evolution -- doritos. HalleluYah !!!
    Is THAT your “counterargument”? 😛
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 14:204 edits
    Okay.

What I am arguing against is the YouTube clip presented by Jaywill to the forum, in which it is argued that the Holocaust was a product of Darwinism and it is also argued that the alternative to the Nazi's violent racism is to adopt a Creationist viewpoint and fight against modern evils like euthenasia and abortion and presumably (not mentioned of s he gets very cross about people failing to watch the clips he posts on the forum.
    also argued that the Creationist clip is deceptive in omitting the huge evidence that anti semitism is a product of - and a continuing feature of - Christianity.

I think you failed to fault Paul for anti-semitism in Christianity. Your attempts I found twistings.

While you are sensative to distance Hitler from Darwin's ideas you certainly show none of the same objectivity in discriminating Paul's concepts from anti-semitism in Christianity's history.

You should know that there is considerable evangelical Christian support of the nation of Israel today ?

Does this financial and moral support suggest anti-semitism to you ?
    The large followings of people like John Hagge, Pat Robertson, the late Zola Levitt and his non-Jewish following and others show enthusaistic pro - Jewish support of Israel by evangelical Christians.

You cannot deny this contemporary Christian pro-semitic activism.
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 21:03
    As a reasonable man I am willing to acknowledge that the historical roots of Nazism are more nuanced and complex than a simple opportunistic analysis could make.

However, do not labor too much to distance Nazism from the seeds planted in the 20th century mind by Darwinism.

Darwin TITLED his book thus -

[b] " The Origin of Species

...[text shortened]... nother careful reading. And I acknowledge that other factors also went into this evil brew.
    Yeah like centuries of pogroms organized and carried out by Christians. Are you suggesting that prior to the 'Origin of the Species' anti Semitism did not exist in Germany and the rest of Christendom?
  10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 21:46
    also argued that the Creationist clip is deceptive in omitting the huge evidence that anti semitism is a product of - and a continuing feature of - Christianity.

I think you failed to fault Paul for anti-semitism in Christianity. Your attempts I found twistings.

While you are sensative to distance Hitler from Darwin's ideas you cert ...[text shortened]... angelical Christians.

You cannot deny this contemporary Christian pro-semitic activism.
    I see good reason on your part to say that it was always wrong to cite Paul in support of antisemitism. It's unfair to Paul you argue. Well I argue your video was unfair to Darwin so where do you recommend we find some common ground? You are not using reasonable arguments. You are quietly evading the issues I have raised by diversionary tactics. I am carefully conceding to you points that I think are well made, but that is not reciprocal, as I would expect in an honest debate.

It would be anachronistic to suggest that Paul shared the attitudes or the concerns of people in later periods of history. Even after the first three hundred years Christianity had developed a lot and faced entirely new and different issues. It is valid to say that people later placed a significance on some of Paul's words which was not necessarily even close to his intention at the time. Without replicating an entire discussion, suffice to say that people have nevertheless found words in Paul to support their antisemitism.

Since antisemitism is and always has been perverse, I fully agree with you that to search out and exploit any such phrases is in itself a twisted and perverse occupation. They were wrong on many levels to do so and deeply malevalent in their motives. They did it, though.

As you know early Christians were distinguished by their intolerance and the bitterness of their disputes. No change there. Look for example at the political skullduggery around the council of Nicea, which established the basic tenets of the religion and led in time to the production of a definitive set of documents later known as the Bible.

Leaving Paul entirely out of the matter, you yourself have agreed that Christianity has had a deep stain of antisemitism, flaring up in diverse locations and periods of history. Examples would include the Crusades which typically got things rolling by murdering and tormenting local Jews before heading onwards to - and not always reaching - the Holy Land. Another example might be the reign of Ferdinand and Isabella and the proces of the Spanish Reconquista. One reason for the famous Balfour Declaration during the First World War was to appeal to the persecuted Jews in Russia and Eastern Europe, who suffered pogroms throughout the preceding century, in the hope they might support the Allies against their own regimes. Balfour never thought through what he was saying, which was in direct contradiction to other commitments made to his Arab allies.

As my reference to the Balfour Declaration reminds me the Great Powers had reason in the Twentieth Century to play with the politics of the Jews and the Arabs for cynical ends. Kaiser William actively set out to excite Arab anger against the European powers and as part of his campaign, played with the issue of the forged Protocols of the Elders of Zion to foment trouble. That was because the one power with little track record in Muslim lands at that time was Germany and he hoped to cause trouble especially for the British, the French and the Russians, while getting access to markets and resources for German industry via the famous Berlin to Baghdad Railway project.

This will also remind us both that the project to set up an Israeli state began before the First World War and, if it was indeed motivated by a desire to escape anti-semitism, that anti-semitism was a problem that predated Hitler by centuries and extended far beyond the borders of Germany.

You should also understand that the same thinking about biologcally based races within humanity that led to the notion of a German master-race was also part of the reasoning behind the desire to establish a Jewish state and the pseudo science which supported this nonsense was promoted by Jewish Zionists and it is still part of the composition of the Israeli state, to its shame.

I am perfectly aware of the recent affection of American Evangelical Christians for the Jewish state in Isareal. As you know, this has no small connection to their reading of Revelations and their hope that the modern state of Israel might be helping to bring to fruition some of the alleged prophecies in Revelations. This may account partly for the way this video seeks to associate the two fundamentalist religious groups. Sadly, that does not in any way have the most remote bearing on the antisemitism of the Germans in the early Twentieth Century. It is an entirely new and modern development.

Generally, America's Creationist / Evangelical movement is not at all a mystical, exclusively religious project but is part of a political project to impose very material and tangible marks on our world today. It is reactionary, dangerous and has to be challenged. Behind the screen of your affable and devout readings of the holy text, you are persistently slipping onto this forum references to the most unpleasant, extremist and destructive political propoganda and it is that, not your faith, that I am questioning. I challenge your faith only because it is a screen for a very modern, not at all religious but political agenda.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 23:58
    I see good reason on your part to say that it was always wrong to cite Paul in support of antisemitism. It's unfair to Paul you argue. Well I argue your video was unfair to Darwin so where do you recommend we find some common ground? You are not using reasonable arguments. You are quietly evading the issues I have raised by diversionary tactics. I am care ...[text shortened]... ith only because it is a screen for a very modern, not at all religious but political agenda.
    I think it is God's will. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 May '12 14:535 edits
    I see good reason on your part to say that it was always wrong to cite Paul in support of antisemitism. It's unfair to Paul you argue. Well I argue your video was unfair to Darwin so where do you recommend we find some common ground? You are not using reasonable arguments. You are quietly evading the issues I have raised by diversionary tactics. I am care ith only because it is a screen for a very modern, not at all religious but political agenda.
    erased until replaced.
  13. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    03 May '12 23:28
    erased until replaced.
    No hurry. 🙂
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 May '12 14:55
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Yeah like centuries of pogroms organized and carried out by Christians. Are you suggesting that prior to the 'Origin of the Species' anti Semitism did not exist in Germany and the rest of Christendom?
    Are you suggesting that prior to the 'Origin of the Species' anti Semitism did not exist in Germany and the rest of Christendom?

No.

Since the time of the events of the book of Exodus anti-Semitism has existed somewhere.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 May '12 03:12
    Originally posted by humy
    Is THAT your “counterargument”? 😛
    I can't believe you didn't get that joke.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree