1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 11:171 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    You misunderstand. I am asking about who made the claim that Jesus was born in Bethlehem.
    We understand that iterative skepticism can always ask "Well, how do you know?"

While I consider how I know Jesus was born in Bethlehem
    could you refer us to some document written in, let's say, the first 1,500 years of church history seriously disputing that Jesus was born in Bethlehem?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 11:22
    Originally posted by @sonship
    We understand that iterative skepticism can always ask "Well, how do you know?"

While I consider how I know Jesus was born in Bethlehem
    could you refer us to some document written in, let's say, the first 1,500 years of church history seriously disputing that Jesus was born in Bethlehem?
    Why?

I've already established that it's mentioned in two of the four gospels and nowhere else.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 11:231 edit
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Let me guess, 40 times? In seperate posts. And then send you an inbox.
    You've got 36 left, I think, on your Duchess64 question. And then a public declaration. No 'inbox' thing.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 11:25
    Why?

I've already established that it's mentioned in two of the four gospels and nowhere else.
    Do you have a historical source that says Jesus Christ was born elsewhere?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 11:33
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Do you have a historical source that says Jesus Christ was born elsewhere?
    I don't believe there is a credible "historical source" that indicates where Jesus was born. I believe the Bethlehem detail would have been inserted into early Christian writing - by people well versed in Hebrew scripture - after his death for the reasons I discussed on those pages of the Evidence Please thread that you steadfastly refused to read.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 11:44
    I don't believe there is a credible "historical source" that indicates where Jesus was born. I believe the Bethlehem detail would have been inserted into early Christian writing - by people well versed in Hebrew scripture - after his death for the reasons I discussed on those pages of the Evidence Please thread that you steadfastly refused to read.
    So you have no historical source saying He was born somewhere else. That’s all I was asking.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 11:521 edit
    So you have no historical source saying He was born somewhere else. That’s all I was asking.
    I don't think you have any credible historical evidence that he was actually born in Bethlehem just as you don't have any historical evidence that his mother was impregnated by a supernatural entity, or any credile evidence he was a descendent of "David", or any historical evidence that after he was executed the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom, and there was some kind of earthquake causing rocks to split, and graves were opened, and many bodies of dead people were raised and came out of the graves and that they went into the city and appeared to many people.

I think you have some religious writing about these things but not credible historical evidence. I believe he lived. I believe he caused quite a stir. I know for a fact that a cult of divine personality was built around him in the decades and centuries after his untimely death.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 11:55
    I don't think you have any credible historical evidence that he was actually born in Bethlehem just as you don't have any historical evidence that his mother was impregnated by a supernatural entity or any historical evidence that after Jesus was executed the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom, and there was some kind of earthquake causing ro ...[text shortened]... f divine personality was built around him in the decades and centuries after his unti,ely death.
    Well you’re an atheist so I wouldn’t expect you to believe the Bible is credible, let alone inerrant.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 11:57
    Well you’re an atheist so I wouldn’t expect you to believe the Bible is credible, let alone inerrant.
    I don't need you to expect or not expect anything. It has no bearing on my perspective.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 12:05
    I don't need you to expect or not expect anything. It has no bearing on my perspective.
    Right, but for people who believe God exists or who have an open mind about whether He exists, the Bible, in their view, may very well be credible and even authoritative.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 12:48
    You've got 36 left, I think, on your Duchess64 question. And then a public declaration. No 'inbox' thing.
    For the intellectually honest asking once is enough.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 12:54
    I think what you mean to say is that it has no bearing on your current state of mind.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 12:59
    For the intellectually honest asking once is enough.
    You're like an adolescent. Why were you just repeating whodey's pisstake rumour/question about me being Duchess64 anyway? Were you being "intellectually honest?"
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 13:04
    You're like an adolescent. Why were you just repeating whodey's pisstake rumour/question about me being Duchess64 anyway? Were you being "intellectually honest?"
    Lol, I'm the adolescent says the chap that asks me to repeat a question 40 times before they will consider to answer it.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 13:10
    Lol, I'm the adolescent says the chap that asks me to repeat a question 40 times before they will consider to answer it.
    I was treating you like a teenage jerk.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree