1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 13:531 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I was treating you like a teenage jerk.
    No, you were trying to get him thrown off the site by asking him to post a rumor about you in 40 separate posts so you could complain to management about it. Just like you constantly publicized other rumors about you and tried to link me to their publicization, even though I never mentioned them or even heard about them until you brought them up.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:09
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    No, you were trying to get him thrown off the site by asking him to post a rumor about you in 40 separate posts so you could complain to management about it. Just like you constantly publicized other rumors about you and tried to link me to their publicization, even though I never mentioned them or even heard about them until you brought them up.
    "Thrown off the site"? What on earth are you on about?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:23
    "Thrown off the site"? What on earth are you on about?
    I’m onto you is what I’m on about
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:25
    This bizarre paranoia has surely got to be self-parody by you. It must be.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:421 edit
    This bizarre paranoia has surely got to be self-parody by you. It must be.
    It’s just sad. Do you want me to pray for you? Do you want me to pray for God to lead you to Him?

Send me a pm if you do. In fact, I’ll do it anyway, but it’d be nice to know you wanted it done.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:44
    It’s just sad. Do you want me to pray for you? Do you me to pray for God to lead you to Him?

Send me a pm if you do. In fact, I’ll do it anyway, but it’d be nice to know you wanted that done.
    What exactly is it you are imagining you'd get "thrown off the site" for?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:52
    What exactly is it you are imagining you'd get "thrown off the site" for?
    Do you want me to pray for you? Send me a pm if you do.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 16:12
    Originally posted by @sonship
    We understand that iterative skepticism can always ask "Well, how do you know?"

While I consider how I know Jesus was born in Bethlehem
    could you refer us to some document written in, let's say, the first 1,500 years of church history seriously disputing that Jesus was born in Bethlehem?
    Why is it (as Bart Ehrman points out) we have relatively good records for the reign of Caesar Augustus, and there is no mention anywhere in any of them of an empire-wide census for which everyone had to register by returning to their ancestral home?
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 16:21
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Why is it (as Bart Ehrman points out) we have relatively good records for the reign of Caesar Augustus, and there is no mention anywhere in any of them of an empire-wide census for which everyone had to register by returning to their ancestral home?
    Dr. Andrew Steinmann, the Distinguished Professor of Theology and Hebrew at Concordia University Chicago, has shown that King Herod actually died around the time of the total lunar eclipse of January 10, 1 B.C. and that the birth of Jesus occurred sometime in mid-to-late 3 B.C. or in early 2 B.C. Further, Roman records show that Quirinius was indeed a governor of Judea and that an empire-wide census was taking place in 3 B.C.

http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2012/07/12/Book-Review-From-Abraham-to-Paul-A-Biblical-Chronology-Part-II.aspx
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 16:231 edit
    I don't believe there is a credible "historical source" that indicates where Jesus was born. I believe the Bethlehem detail would have been inserted into early Christian writing - by people well versed in Hebrew scripture - after his death for the reasons I discussed on those pages of the Evidence Please thread that you steadfastly refused to read.
    As I suspected, you didn’t bother to read the link I posted. Sounds like projection if you don’t have actual evidence of them doing this.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 16:34
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    As I suspected, you didn’t bother to read the link I posted. Sounds like projection if you don’t have actual evidence of them doing this.
    I think faith is all about projecting firm convictions and aspirations onto appealing or familiar ancient folk tales in an earnest and credulous way. And it's not just Christianity.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 17:29
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I already provided you a link to an article that addresses that. I’m not surprised you ignored it.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 17:471 edit
    I think faith is all about projecting firm convictions and aspirations onto appealing or familiar ancient folk tales in an earnest and credulous way. And it's not just Christianity.
    And I think the lack of faith is all about projecting conspiracy theories onto well established historical facts without a shred of actual evidence. And it's not just atheism.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 19:54
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    And I think the lack of faith is all about projecting conspiracy theories onto well established historical facts without a shred of actual evidence. And it's not just atheism.
    And does this apply to faith in all religions?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree