1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 03:57
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    enlighten me then. what it is to fear god? how does god want a flock of sheep to tremble at his every word? is he insecure? will he question his awesomeness if we don't cower in fear? is it a different kind of fear? maybe you think the supreme being depends on us?
    Fear. Real fear. The kind of fear that drives you to your knees in awesome wonder.

But with absolute assurance.

Ephesians 1:6 - To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
  2. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 07:22
    you are a slave.

god is not fear. god is love. i don't fear god. i love god. and he loves me.

Are you sure you know God?

Of course He loves you. Of course God is love.

I don't think you understand what the fear of God means.

Here's my 2c worth:

Proverbs says: "The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom."

That is true, but note that it is the BEGINNING only!

Understanding and experiencing the love of God is the ultimate Wisdom!

Neurologists have pointed out that fear is physically, not only emotionally, destructive. It causes a physiological reaction at the cellular level which reduces the body's immune response and thus makes one vulnerable to a lot of bad things including opportunistic infection.

However, having said that, I claim by no means to be free from fear - it is a frequent and active struggle...
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 08:58
    Originally posted by CalJust
    [b]Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    you are a slave.

god is not fear. god is love. i don't fear god. i love god. and he loves me.

Are you sure you know God?

Of course He loves you. Of course God is love.

I don't think you understand what the fear of God means.

Here's my 2c worth:

Proverbs says: "The Fear of the Lord is the b ...[text shortened]... d that, I claim by no means to be free from fear - it is a frequent and active struggle...[/b]
    huh?
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 09:03
    Originally posted by josephw
    Fear. Real fear. The kind of fear that drives you to your knees in awesome wonder.

But with absolute assurance.

Ephesians 1:6 - To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
    where does fear come into the quote you supplied?

fear that drives you to your knees in awesome wonder.
    no wonder atheists have such an easy time bashing "believers" like you. you beg for ridicule.
    the supreme being of all existence and beyond it, without beginning or end, who created the universe, needs the humans to fear him? you don't even ask your puppy to fear you (hope you don't else you are a horrible little creature). only to love you and maybe do some tricks. yet you believe god wants us to fear him? do you think the being that sent his son to die for our sins is capable of less love than a human owning a dog?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 11:19
    where does fear come into the quote you supplied?

[b]fear that drives you to your knees in awesome wonder.

no wonder atheists have such an easy time bashing "believers" like you. you beg for ridicule.
    the supreme being of all existence and beyond it, without beginning or end, who created the universe, needs the humans to fear him? you don't even ...[text shortened]... ing that sent his son to die for our sins is capable of less love than a human owning a dog?[/b]
    I'm with you here Z.
    Even though fear exists it is only transitory. Love is eternal.

I'm must admit , it is a bit hard to get into the nuances of these arguements but I'll take a love-based approach over a fear-based one anyday.

We are born into fear. But there is also Love. Thats why I like that title:"Feel the fear and do it anyway". It kinda says that it is real but that you should follow your heart and not be subjagated by fear.

Doesn't most fear stem from mortality at the end of the day? (mortality,which is the illusion)
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 13:09
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I'm with you here Z.
    Even though fear exists it is only transitory. Love is eternal.

I'm must admit , it is a bit hard to get into the nuances of these arguements but I'll take a love-based approach over a fear-based one anyday.

We are born into fear. But there is also Love. Thats why I like that title:"Feel the fear and do it anyway". It kinda s ...[text shortened]... n't most fear stem from mortality at the end of the day? (mortality,which is the illusion)
    i think he confuses fear with respect. for me, god might be like the father that loves you and you love him. he can punish you if you do something wrong. indeed there is no doubt he can smack you at any time, but will he? he loves you. he is a sentient reasoning being that doesn't destroy randomly. then why fear him? if you do nothing wrong there is no need to fear him.

sure, if you start poking your father with a stick he might slap you. and when your father is god, he might slap you kinda hard. so don't poke him with a stick.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 01:02
    i think he confuses fear with respect. for me, god might be like the father that loves you and you love him. he can punish you if you do something wrong. indeed there is no doubt he can smack you at any time, but will he? he loves you. he is a sentient reasoning being that doesn't destroy randomly. then why fear him? if you do nothing wrong there is no need ...[text shortened]... ou. and when your father is god, he might slap you kinda hard. so don't poke him with a stick.
    Perhaps he confuses fear with respect.
    And I certainly am different to your thinking in a lot of ways but I think we can agree on some things here.

Certainly fear is a very important subject when it comes to spirituality. Perhaps THE most important.
    But his whole business of heving to fear God is wrong approach for anyone to take.
    I think the fear based approach to understanding God is the human factor coming into the equation. Its not going to lead to understanding at the end of the day.

I am still waiting to be smitten for ny blasphemous take on things. But the more time that goes by seems to suggest to me that its not going to happen. Oh hell, I know its not going to happen. But if it does ,I will be the first one to admit it. Anyway, I dont want to sound like a fundamentalist. That would be very contradictory for me, and not in keeping with my other views.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 03:35
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Perhaps he confuses fear with respect.
    And I certainly am different to your thinking in a lot of ways but I think we can agree on some things here.

Certainly fear is a very important subject when it comes to spirituality. Perhaps THE most important.
    But his whole business of heving to fear God is wrong approach for anyone to take.
    I think the fe ...[text shortened]... fundamentalist. That would be very contradictory for me, and not in keeping with my other views.
    "It seemed so plausible..."

🙂

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree