1. London
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 15:46
    Originally posted by Redmike
    To be fair, the priest in question may have said any non-Catholic babies.

It didn't stop me from repeatedly baptising (usually with guiness) a classmate at university who was particulary anti-catholic.

So, hypothetically speaking, have I a better chance of making it to heaven since I've received the various sacraments? Even though I'm now an atheist? Or do we just not know how god is going to play it for folks like me?
    Catholicism, as you know, is not OSAS. So, baptism does not guarantee salvation - only dying in a state of grace (or, inversely speaking, not dying in a state of mortal sin) guarantees salvation. At the moment, only God and you know whether you are, in fact, in such a state of mortal sin.

A knowing, wilful rejection of God is a mortal sin, objectively speaking. Whether it is mortal in your case depends on whether your knowledge of the gravity of and consent to the act makes you culpable.

So, as far as I'm concerned, you may or may not be in a state of grace. I simply don't know and do not have the authority to judge.
  2. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 17:13
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Hmm, I'm not sure. I suppose that depends on how well I knew him and whether I thought his beliefs were having an adverse affect on his life. Also, getting him drunk wouldn't necessarily have been the best way to go about it.

Also, I didn't get him pissed, I merely pointed out that his drinking coke was a show, since he didn't adhere to his supposed be ...[text shortened]... d it out with him, he admitted that he'd been wanting to drink and ordered himself a pint.
    Ah, the triumph of reason. Tastes so sweet and hoppy.
  3. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 20:15
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Catholicism, as you know, is not OSAS. So, baptism does not guarantee salvation - only dying in a state of grace (or, inversely speaking, not dying in a state of mortal sin) guarantees salvation. At the moment, only God and you know whether you are, in fact, in such a state of mortal sin.

A knowing, wilful rejection of God is a mortal sin, o ...[text shortened]... or may not be in a state of grace. I simply don't know and do not have the authority to judge.
    OK - sounds like I'm stuffed, hypothetically sppeaking.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 01:48
    How many "fishers of men" practice catch and release?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 11:05
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    How many "fishers of men" practice catch and release?
    Unclear, also, is how many use the "net" in their endeavors.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 13:20
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Unclear, also, is how many use the "net" in their endeavors.
    ...and whether they've debarbed the hooks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree