1. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 13:49
    While trawling the net, I came across the webpage of John Ringland. He is basically a Computer Scientist and for his age, appears to be well grounded in the philosophy as propagated by Hindu and Bouddha streams. An extremely learned person and quite clear in what he is describing.
    Just give a sample, I quote here what he is saying about ourselves and Reality :-The ‘normal’ thing to do is to play the game, accept the appearances of things as the reality and identify oneself as a character in the game; an individual in a world. From this perspective one pursues an agenda in the world, usually seeking to satisfy one’s desires and to avoid one’s fears.

The empirical scientific thing to do is to generally do the normal thing, especially accepting the appearances of things as the reality - that is the essence of empiricism. One also assumes that the mind has direct access to reality and uses common sense, intellect and scientific and academic techniques and methods to catalogue, categorise, analyse, explain and model the experiential world or the empirical subjective perceptual illusion that we confuse with objective reality and come to call the “physical universe”.

The mystic [FR] thing to do is to know that the game is a construct of occasions of experience that arise within the mind (mind is just a part of one’s “vehicle of manifestation” within the virtual world, so too is one’s body), to know that beyond the mind and the appearances that arise in it there is the real essence of reality, to know that the essence is all that is actually real, it is the content and process of all experiences, to know that pure direct experience is the gateway to reality and not mind made ideas (because the mind has no direct access to reality), to go within and connect with reality, to commune with reality and illumine one’s mind, dissolving all shadows of delusion, to channel the ‘blessings’, the light of wisdom and the life of pure awareness, to fix this influx of spirit in symbolic form as wisdom, knowledge, ritual and practices, to distribute these blessings with love and compassion to all beings and to do this without being the ‘doer’ but as a harmonious gesture of the cosmic dance.

The common religious thing to do is to generally do the normal thing but to misinterpret the mystic teachings, taking the empirical analogies literally and ‘believing’ in them. This is especially troublesome when the analogies themselves have become hopelessly misunderstood and deliberately distorted by organisational structures to deceive people and keep them powerless and confused so that they are easily manipulated and assimilated into the organisation.

The holistic scientific thing to do is to be like a programmer who is embedded in the program, an information system and an information system analyst within the cosmic information system, to know the general nature of information systems and their many perceptual illusions, to understand the manner in which existence manifests and operates both within oneself and throughout the cosmic information system, to know that the inner most awareness that is the substrate of the mind is the computational process, the virtual-reality generative process itself, that creates and animates all things, to participate harmoniously and effectively in the cosmic information system, to know that holistic science is just a device for developing the awareness and growing a connection with reality, to know that the computational process, the virtual-reality generative process is just an elaborate analogy for an existential essence that is beyond all symbols, words and ideas, to know that the essence is all that is actually real, it is the content and process of all experiences, to know that pure direct experience is the gateway to reality and not mind made ideas (because the mind has no direct access to reality), to go within and connect with reality, to commune with reality and illumine one’s mind, dissolving all shadows of delusion, to channel the ‘blessings’, the light of wisdom and the life of pure awareness, to fix this influx of spirit in symbolic form as wisdom, knowledge, ritual and practices, to distribute these blessings with love and compassion to all beings and to do this without being the ‘doer’ but as a harmonious gesture of the cosmic dance.
    I request you to go through and comment please.
  2. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 14:09
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    While trawling the net, I came across the webpage of John Ringland. He is basically a Computer Scientist and for his age, appears to be well grounded in the philosophy as propagated by Hindu and Bouddha streams. An extremely learned person and quite clear in what he is describing.
    Just give a sample, I quote here what he is saying about ourselves and Re ...[text shortened]... ut as a harmonious gesture of the cosmic dance.
    I, for myself, found his first four options quite clear. Maybe twhithead and bbarr plus blackbeetle and Taoman explain the fifth thing to do , to me.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 14:421 edit
    Just give a sample, I quote here what he is saying about ourselves and Re ...[text shortened]... ut as a harmonious gesture of the cosmic dance.
    These are the four points I got out of that:

1.When in Rome, do as the Romans, blend in, to have any real impact on the lives of others around you.

2.When in Rome, do as the Arcturians (a highly intelligent "E.T. species who we are somehow related to).

3.Understand that the "Gound of all Reality" is no static, but everchanging; "dancing".

4.Through this process of self-realization we lose our egos.

Dont know about point 5
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 14:53
    I, for myself, found his first four options quite clear. Maybe twhithead and bbarr plus blackbeetle and Taoman explain the fifth thing to do , to me.
    I think maybe he has been researching Buddhism, but didn't yet find point 5 - enlightenment! πŸ˜•

-m.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 15:584 edits
    #5 seems to be saying the same thing as the mystic #3, only using more technical terminology. The mystic, however, seems to be MUCH better at communicating his or her point.

#5 views the substrate of the mind as being a "virtual reality generative process" -- which seems to be what the mystic in #3 is trying to say with simpler words.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '11 21:41
    The common religious thing to do is to generally do the normal thing but to misinterpret the mystic teachings, taking the empirical analogies literally and ‘believing’ in them. This is especially troublesome when the analogies themselves have become hopelessly misunderstood and deliberately distorted by organisational structures to deceive people and keep ...[text shortened]... owerless and confused so that they are easily manipulated and assimilated into the organisation.
    How "Dasa-esque".

I love how people take part in "mental gymnastics" and encourage others to do the same, but then bad-mouth religion and assume its motives.

"Look at them, how they are dishonest!"

"Well, what have YOU been doing?"

"Searching for the TRUTH!~"

uh-huh... do let us know how that works out for you.

ummmm, on second thought, please don't.

"misinterpret", "misunderstood", "distorted", "deceive people", "powerless and confused", "easily manipulated and assimilated"

all warning signs of ignoring the true motive and substituting another, more sinister, motive.

What an "enlightened" individual.
  7. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 01:59
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I think maybe he has been researching Buddhism, but didn't yet find point 5 - enlightenment! πŸ˜•

-m.
    Perhaps, but, point 1 comes straight out of the Christian bible. πŸ˜‰
  8. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 06:41

-m.
    Well, yes, he has quoted some Buddhist texts in his long paper. But the 5 things he has talked about are the things people usually do when they are tackling the question of knowing the Reality. On attaining that knowledge a person can be called enlightened. Enlightenment is the result and not the thing/s to do.
  9. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 06:43
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    #5 seems to be saying the same thing as the mystic #3, only using more technical terminology. The mystic, however, seems to be MUCH better at communicating his or her point.

#5 views the substrate of the mind as being a "virtual reality generative process" -- which seems to be what the mystic in #3 is trying to say with simpler words.
    Yes, you are right about that!
  10. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 07:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    How "Dasa-esque".

I love how people take part in "mental gymnastics" and encourage others to do the same, but then bad-mouth religion and assume its motives.

"Look at them, how they are dishonest!"

"Well, what have YOU been doing?"

"Searching for the TRUTH!~"

uh-huh... do let us know how that works out for you.

ummmm, on second thoug ...[text shortened]... ng another, more sinister, motive.

What an "enlightened" individual.
    My intention in quoting Ringland was to show how the younger generation of scientists are thinking about spiritual questions. They have their opinions about organised religions. One need not get unduly upset.
  11. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 08:25
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Perhaps, but, point 1 comes straight out of the Christian bible. πŸ˜‰
    You appear to have misunderstood the first point. The first point is about how the lazy and/or cynical people view the Reality. Is that the Biblical view?
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 17:07
    The oneness of the mind appears as duality because of the illusion that the split between perceiver and perceived holds (Why? Because the perceived aspect is indifferent and thus it appears as if it was "outside", whilst the perceiving aspect appears as if it was inside because it is always pulsing).

We are a self-measuring system that self-organises its reality according to the way we collapse the wavefunction -according to the way we perceive the "reality". From alayavijnana emerge Karma and Vipaka. Out of Karma, our interaction with "reality" (with the environmental field) the way we perceive "reality", promotes a field of possibilities, which they then interact with our mind. In the environmental field, the karmic possibilities we are picking up (events), are turned into pieces of our "objective reality" (our personal history of perceived events).
    On the other hand, emerged from Vipaka, our subjectivity exerts force to the "objective reality" using as a catalyst our mind-only free will -and this way we choose how to act, how to live etc.

So, this is the fifth: since we always end up with our current, subjective reality solely thanks to our subjectively random cherry-picking, the root of all the phenomena you perceive is solely your mind -and, all phenomena are empty of substance/ svhabhava
    😡
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 17:27
    Originally posted by black beetle
    The oneness of the mind appears as duality because of the illusion that the split between perceiver and perceived holds (Why? Because the perceived aspect is indifferent and thus it appears as if it was "outside", whilst the perceiving aspect appears as if it was inside because it is always pulsing).

We are a self-measuring system that self-organises ...[text shortened]... rceive is solely your mind -and, all phenomena are empty of substance/ svhabhava
    😡
    There is no appearance of mind. That is the 5th.
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 08:00
    There is no appearance of mind. That is the 5th.
    The human beings are setting the Buddhas free, the Buddhas are setting free the human beings. When you are delusional, Buddhas set you free. When you are not delusional, you set the Buddhas free. Buddhas don't become Buddhas on their own, they are liberated by the human beings. When you see Buddha, solely then you leave the mind aside. So you cannot see Buddha if your mind does not give birth to him. Then, yes, there is no appearance of mind😡
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 13:41
    "The common religious thing to do is to generally do the normal thing but to misinterpret the mystic teachings, taking the empirical analogies literally and ‘believing’ in them. This is especially troublesome when the analogies themselves have become hopelessly misunderstood and deliberately distorted by organisational structures to deceive people and keep them powerless and confused so that they are easily manipulated and assimilated into the organisation."

The Truth is clearly taught by the Word of God contained in a book we call the Bible. "Christ" is the all-in-all and the embodiment of Truth. The believer is identified with Him by the simple act of faith. God's Word has the effect of transforming the mind, bringing one's thoughts into alignment with God's thoughts. Dispelled are all illusions of reality. Any ideas, concepts or beliefs contrary to Christ are the illusions.

That is the bottom line.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree