1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 14:281 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Mind you propoganda can be true or false.
    I cannot seriously discuss this with you now because of time limitations of the public library's PC.

Maybe sometime next week.
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 17:30
    I cannot seriously discuss this with you now because of time limitations of the public library's PC.

Maybe sometime next week.
    You do not need a computer to talk to yourself.
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 17:521 edit
    Mind you propoganda can be true or false.
    Generally propaganda is referred to when you are accusing someone of either lying purposely or lying by omission. This is particularly what I object to.

You essentially are establishing the usual persecution argument that creationists and ID proponents trot out without any real evidence for it.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 06:37
    Originally posted by timebombted
    Bump for KJ to post his detailed explanation (which he's promised) regarding this previous statement:

"I have the same evidence for design as you do for evolution"
    (KJ Pg28)
    Have not forgotten you, just a little tied up.
    Kelly
  5. Australia
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 09:58
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Have not forgotten you, just a little tied up.
    Kelly
    All good, looking forward to it.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 16:091 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Generally propaganda is referred to when you are accusing someone of either lying purposely or lying by omission. This is particularly what I object to.

You essentially are establishing the usual persecution argument that creationists and ID proponents trot out without any real evidence for it.
    If I do offer evidence of unfair prejudice on Evo's side you dodge it by saying that such a person doesn't speak for all science.

Convenient.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 18:17
    If I do offer evidence of unfair prejudice on Evo's side you dodge it by saying that such a person doesn't speak for all science.

Convenient.
    Ummm.. no. You didn't offer evidence of unfair prejudice.

Also, when I said that it wasn't a "dodge" at all - please make your argument as to how it was a dodge. You simply stating that it was a dodge doesn't count.

You make a reference as to something Richard Dawkins said - that isn't evidence of a conspiracy of persecution of ID. It's just something Richard Dawkins said.

You are making a claim that the scientific community is dismissing ID without reason. You have to establish:

1. That a significant amount of the scientific community is dismissing ID.

AND

2. That they are doing so arbitrarily without reason.

Now, I believe that the majority of the scientific community does dismiss ID due to the reason that it isn't science - I agree with that at this point.

I do not believe they are doing so without reason though.
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 18:446 edits

Also, when I said that it wasn't a "dodge" at all - please make your argument as to how it was a dodge. You simply stating that it was a dodge doesn't count.

You make a reference as to something Richard Dawkins said - that isn't evidence of a conspiracy of persecution of ID. It's just somet e with that at this point.

I do not believe they are doing so without reason though.
    ========================================
    =========================================

Well, for one if Biology, according to Dawkin's definition, is the study of things which only have an appearance of design, then any scientist who decides to further explore if design REALLY is behind these life systems - is not really practicing biology.

By definition, his approach is unfair.

=======================================
    =======================================

Okay, let's say you didn't dodge.

Point being Dawkin's definition is monsterously prejudicial.

====================================
    You make a reference as to something Richard Dawkins said - that isn't evidence of a conspiracy of persecution of ID. It's just something Richard Dawkins said.

Well, jury rigging the definition of Biology as to exclude serious considerations of Intelligent Design is not fair, IMO.

It is question begging. His definition assures that no serious consideration of ID will take place in the field of Biology.

If I scold him he won't listen. I'm suppose to be mentally ill or hopelessly ignorant because I question some things about Evolution Theory. So why don't you do it?

Other comments I'll address a bit latter.
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 02:58
    [b]========================================

Well, for one if Biology, according to Dawkin's definition, is the study of things which only have an appearance of design, then any scientist who decides to further explore if design REALLY is behind the ...[text shortened]... on Theory. So why don't you do it?

Other comments I'll address a bit latter.[/b]
    Well, for one if Biology, according to Dawkin's definition, is the study of things which only have an appearance of design, then any scientist who decides to further explore if design REALLY is behind these life systems - is not really practicing biology

I'm very skeptical that Dawkins defines biology specifically in that way. However, the scientific community doesn't do what Dawkins says - I think they use the official definition.

By definition, his approach is unfair.

Even assuming that this is his approach, this is one person and one person only. I also think there's a lot more to his view than you are letting on.

If I scold him he won't listen. I'm suppose to be mentally ill or hopelessly ignorant because I question some things about Evolution Theory. So why don't you do it?

What? I assume you're talking about the post by someone earlier that supposedly claimed that he spoke for all of science.

I pick my battles. For one, I don't have the time to search for a post that you only vaguely reference. I sometimes see posts that I partially disagree, but mostly agree - I will often not post in response to those especially if the thing I disagree with is minor.

I also sometimes just skim posts so I don't bother to post in response. Sometimes I don't have time and sometimes I know it's going to get into a discussion that I don't want to get into.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 14:252 edits
    Well, for one if Biology, according to Dawkin's definition, is the study of things which only have an appearance of design, then any scientist who decides to further explore if design REALLY is behind these life systems - is not really practicing biology

I'm very skeptical that Dawkins defines biology specifically in that way. However, the scien sometimes I know it's going to get into a discussion that I don't want to get into.
    I told you. "The Blind Watchmaker" by Dawkins is the source of the sentence. From the book I am reading it appears to be on page 1 and is this quotation:

"Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose."

Yes, I know. That is slightly different from what I wrote. But it is essentially the same in meaning.

Biology is the study of things which have an appearance of design, is, I believe, what I originally wrote.

Now no more complaining about vague references.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 18:14
    I told you. [b]"The Blind Watchmaker" by Dawkins is the source of the sentence. From the book I am reading it appears to be on page 1 and is this quotation:

"Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose."

Yes, I know. That is slightly different from what I wrote. But it is ess ...[text shortened]... is, I believe, what I originally wrote.

Now no more complaining about vague references.[/b]
    Yet again you misrepresent what I was refering to by "vague reference".

I thought you had referred to a post on this forum and that is what I thought you had vaguely referenced.

Are you reading "The Blind Watchmaker" or are you reading a book that is referring to it? It's not quite clear from your post.

Of course, that doesn't really change much as to what I posted, but thanks for the clarification.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 20:51
    Originally posted by timebombted
    All good, looking forward to it.
    started thread in science area.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree