1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 19:44
    In the bible there are several passages that show that Earth is flat. To be a true christian, then you have to believe that the Earth is Flat in accordance of the bible.

Read and learn:

The Shape of the Earth

Disregarding the dome, the essential flatness of the earth's surface is required by verses like Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king “saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth...reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds.” If the earth were flat, a sufficiently tall tree would be visible to “the earth's farthest bounds,” but this is impossible on a spherical earth. Likewise, in describing the temptation of Jesus by Satan, Matthew 4:8 says, “Once again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world [cosmos] in their glory.” Obviously, this would be possible only if the earth were flat. The same is true of Revelation 1:7: “Behold, he is coming with the clouds! Every eye shall see him...”

As Flat Earth is not science, as neither is creationism, and other crazy stuff, I didn't show this in the Science Forum, but here in the Spiritual Forum. Because here the bible is the Truth.
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 23:07
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    In the bible there are several passages that show that Earth is flat. To be a true christian, then you have to believe that the Earth is Flat in accordance of the bible.

Read and learn:

The Shape of the Earth

Disregarding the dome, the essential flatness of the earth's surface is required by verses like Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king “saw a ...[text shortened]... in the Science Forum, but here in the Spiritual Forum. Because here the bible is the Truth.
    And the Creationists, therefore, all have flat heads.
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 06:34
    [b] To be a true christian, then you have to believe that the Earth is Flat in accordance of the bible.
    This is patently UNtrue. I am a good Christian and I do not believe the earth is flat. That kinda shoots a hole right through your statement.
    Furthermore, there is no prerequisite to "be(ing) a good Christian" and having to believe any geographic shape of the earth. You can think the earth is banana shaped and be a good Christian. Where DO you get you religious knowledge?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 07:35
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    This is patently UNtrue. I am a good Christian and I do not believe the earth is flat. That kinda shoots a hole right through your statement.
    Furthermore, there is no prerequisite to "be(ing) a good Christian" and having to believe any geographic shape of the earth. You can think the earth is banana shaped and be a good Christian. Where DO you get you religious knowledge?
    But you, best Pink, are not those extremists who believe in a young earth. You have a healthy kind of beliefs. The YEC have not. So my answer below is not for you, but to the christians who believes in every letter in the bible to be true:

But it says so in the bible - the earth is flat. Don't you believe in the bible? Then how come you believe that the Earth with all its varieties of life is created exactly as it is written in the Genesis, during 6 days 6000 years ago?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 07:38

Read and learn:

The Shape of the Earth

Disregarding the dome, the essential flatness of the earth's surface is required by verses like Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king “saw a ...[text shortened]... in the Science Forum, but here in the Spiritual Forum. Because here the bible is the Truth.
    You are using a man's dream as a factual statement in how the
    Bible describes the earth? You have anything else?
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 07:43
    But you, best Pink, are not those extremists who believe in a young earth. You have a healthy kind of beliefs. The YEC have not. So my answer below is not for you, but to the christians who believes in every letter in the bible to be true:

But it says so in the bible - the earth is flat. Don't you believe in the bible? Then how come you believe that th ...[text shortened]... eties of life is created exactly as it is written in the Genesis, during 6 days 6000 years ago?
    You are so wrong, but it does not matter there are several views on
    how old the earth is, read Gen 1:1 and 1:2 and tell me how much
    time passed between those two verses? So if there are billions of
    years there and countless events that could mean the universe is
    billions of years old, and you could believe that and be a good
    Christian. You just want to paint a nasty picture of people you have
    little respect for you will say anything to do it.
    Kelly

Genesis

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 And the earth was waste and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 07:56
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You are so wrong, but it does not matter there are several views on
    how old the earth is, read Gen 1:1 and 1:2 and tell me how much
    time passed between those two verses? So if there are billions of
    years there and countless events that could mean the universe is
    billions of years old, and you could believe that and be a good
    Christian. You just want to ...[text shortened]... darkness was upon the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    Do you, Kelly, believe the Earth is flat, or do you deny the bible?
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 08:08
    You've dodged his question -- do you have anything else to go on but a dream?
  9. Illinois
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 08:171 edit
    Have you seen this passage yet?

"God sits above the circle of the earth.
    The people below seem like grasshoppers to him" (Isaiah 40:22).

BTW, this was written prior to any scientific evidence that the earth is round.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 08:25
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Have you seen this passage yet?

"God sits above the [b]circle of the earth
    The people below seem like grasshoppers to him" (Isaiah 40:22).

BTW, this was written prior to any scientific evidence that the earth is round.[/b]
    Circle, not sphere ... Many cultures saw the world as a circle bounded by the Ocean.

But using literalism to get at literalists strikes me as a profitless exercise.

So, Isaiah is personifying God ('sits', 'seems'😉. What is Isaiah getting at? A more interesting question than whether his metaphors accord with Newton.
  11. Illinois
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 08:40
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Circle, not sphere ... Many cultures saw the world as a circle bounded by the Ocean.

But using literalism to get at literalists strikes me as a profitless exercise.

So, Isaiah is personifying God ('sits', 'seems'😉. What is Isaiah getting at? A more interesting question than whether his metaphors accord with Newton.

Point taken.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 08:45
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    [b]Circle, not sphere ... Many cultures saw the world as a circle bounded by the Ocean.

Point taken.[/b]
    Sure. But only the most intransigent literalist would take it as a scientific statement.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 09:241 edit

Read and learn:

The Shape of the Earth

Disregarding the dome, the essential flatness of the earth's surface is required by verses like Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king “saw a in the Science Forum, but here in the Spiritual Forum. Because here the bible is the Truth.
    Only idiots and the narrow-minded believe the Bible is supposed to be read literally in its entirety.

Apparently, you're one of them.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 10:051 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Only idiots and the narrow-minded believe the Bible is supposed to be read literally in its entirety.

No no, I'm not one of them. I think the bible should be read no way near litterally, believe me on that. Only christian fundamentalists think that. I'm not even near a fundamentalist in this sense.

But people believing that the earth was created 6000 years ago, disregarding all scientific observations and proofs that it isn't, of the only reason that it is written in the bible that it is so, they are, if I may quote you, "idiots and narrow-minded", not my words though.

I think the bible should be read as historical documents, written by reasons fitting the powers of that time. There is nothing holy or sacred by the words of the bible, not at all.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 10:06
    Originally posted by Palynka

I find the idea of a flat Earth distressing.

Mother Gaia has big ones, for sure.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree