1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 16:06
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Highly doubtful you'll ever stand before God.
    True that. Like the rest of you schlubs, I'll be on my face.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 16:061 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    If God intervened to stop it then I would be wanting a bloody good answer to why he allowed it to start in the first place!

--- Penguin.
    Good point. This idea shows that God as far as the Bible indicates does not start or stop such things as this. My last post explains this.
    This does not mean that God does not care, far from it. But because man now reaps the affects of Adams sin that we all suffer from, the distance that man in general has put between himself and God has created the result that we no longer have his protection against such events as flooding, earthquakes, etc.
  3. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 16:11
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Highly doubtful that when you're standing before God, that your stance will be one of defiance.
    If that were the case it would be for one of two reasons:
    1. He is a tyrant who rules through fear
    2. He is a manipulator who rules by mind control and is able to make people loose their sense of reason.

Seriously, I'm sure plenty of people were praying in Haiti and in new Orleans and countless other disasters when there was no convenient change in the weather. If you give credit to God for stopping the floods in Australia then you have to blame him for not stopping all the other natural disasters.

--- Penguin.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 16:14
    2. He is a manipulator who rules by mind control and is able to make people loose their sense of reason.

Seriously, I'm sure plenty of people were praying in Haiti and in new Orleans and countless other disasters when there was no convenient change in the ...[text shortened]... you have to blame him for [b]not
    stopping all the other natural disasters.

--- Penguin.[/b]
    Spoken like a man woefully ignorant of reality. You seem rather convinced of your own intellectual prowess, but sadly, this will garner you no points in the end. Hell, it doesn't even offer you solace now!
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 16:23
    True that. Like the rest of you schlubs, I'll be on my face.
    With your God 'bare-back' riding you in a cowboy hat laughing -

'You stupid human, how did you ever think that someone who was responsible for so much pain and misery could be the 'good-guy'?
  6. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 16:37
    Spoken like a man woefully ignorant of reality. You seem rather convinced of your own intellectual prowess, but sadly, this will garner you no points in the end. Hell, it doesn't even offer you solace now!
    yeah fine. But where is the flaw in my argument?

--- Penguin
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 16:58
    If God intervened to stop it then I would be wanting a bloody good answer to why he allowed it to start in the first place!

--- Penguin.
    This is not my view, but I would venture to say that maybe "He" started it to test the faith off his people.
    "Hey!!Look at me!I can bring you to the point of extinction and then just pull it back at the last moment. See how powerful I am!"
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 22:06
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    This is not my view, but I would venture to say that maybe "He" started it to test the faith off his people.
    "Hey!!Look at me!I can bring you to the point of extinction and then just pull it back at the last moment. See how powerful I am!"
    Hum...Actually there is nothing to support that thought in the Bible that God test any of us that way. The couple the Bible does mention is of course Adam & Eve but they were perfect and should have passed the test God put before them.
    And another was when he did test Abraham with his son Isaac but once Abraham showed God he would follow his command and proved faithful, God stopped that event from happening.
    But no where in the Bible does it even hint that God causes natural disasters that test us or take human lifes.
    This is another flase teaching that some churches have used to control their members.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 22:40
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    but generally, i believe god ceased his intervention on earth. we have reached a point where we can work things out for ourselves.[/b]
    That is one perspective. Another perspective is that he stands aside to let us work things out for ourselves if we so desire. However, if we choose to include him he may work wonders.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 22:43

Seriously, I'm sure plenty of people were praying in Haiti and in new Orleans and countless other disasters when there was no convenient change in the ...[text shortened]... you have to blame him for [b]not
    stopping all the other natural disasters.

--- Penguin.[/b]
    If God were in control do you think he would have sanctioned large numbers of people living below sea level?

New Orleans anyone?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 03:47
    yeah fine. But where is the flaw in my argument?

--- Penguin
    Really? I was under the impression that a flawed premise--- not matter how professionally articulated and fleshed out--- cannot help but result in a wrong conclusion.

Your ignorance of reality keep you from seeing it aright, thus the need for the baseless incendiary language, which forms the basis of your premise.

See how that all works out so neatly?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 03:48
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    With your God 'bare-back' riding you in a cowboy hat laughing -

'You stupid human, how did you ever think that someone who was responsible for so much pain and misery could be the 'good-guy'?
    Funny. Even though we all know it is not the case, if a person could be condemned to hell for general douche baggery, you'd be somewhere in that waiting line.
  13. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 12:19
    Really? I was under the impression that a flawed premise--- not matter how professionally articulated and fleshed out--- cannot help but result in a wrong conclusion.

Your ignorance of reality keep you from seeing it aright, thus the need for the baseless incendiary language, which forms the basis of your premise.

See how that all works out so neatly?
    You seem to be resorting to personal insults, maybe not against me but certainly against Proper Knob (though I can see how you may have been offended).

But I still don't see a problem with either the premise or the argument:

You are crediting God with ending a natural event. Why are you not also crediting him with starting it?

--- Penguin
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 14:04
    You seem to be resorting to personal insults, maybe not against me but certainly against Proper Knob (though I can see how you may have been offended).

But I still don't see a problem with either the premise or the argument:

You are crediting God with ending a natural event. Why are you not also crediting him with starting it?

--- Penguin
    Which event am I crediting God with, exactly?
  15. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 14:23
    Which event am I crediting God with, exactly?
    At the start of this thread, karoly aczel said:

I was debating this with my gal and she seemed to think that only "modern christians "(whatever that means), subscribed heavily to the notion that their god directly affected the weather.
    Well does He?
    Because , I tell you what, I bet a lot of christians got their prayers answered for the rain to subside just when we were bracing for the absolute worst.

So the implication is that (some/many) Christians believe that God intervened to halt the flooding in Australia in response to prayers.

If they credit him with stopping the floods, why do they not credit him with starting them?

--- Penguin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree