1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 11:16
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Well you did seem certain.
    I'm not certain about my info on evolutionary scientists. I dont have enough research in that area.
    Nuclear scientists have had their work used against the purposes for which they intended.
    People like Nikola Tesla have been used up and spat out(and discredited) after his work was no longer commercially viable (and threatened to undermine the economic power of his bosses (GE) ), despite having invented some of the most useful things that we use today (A/C power).
    I have also read about many "garage scientists" working on free and /or clean(er) energy who have been shunned by the establishment as being crackpots after clearly making some ground-breaking discoveries.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 13:14
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I'm not certain about my info on evolutionary scientists. I dont have enough research in that area.
    Nuclear scientists have had their work used against the purposes for which they intended.
    Thats the trouble with science and inventions. We cannot dictate to the users what they may be used for.
    But that is a totally different topic from cover-ups or deliberate deception by the scientific community or its sponsors.

People like Nikola Tesla have been used up and spat out(and discredited) after his work was no longer commercially viable (and threatened to undermine the economic power of his bosses (GE) ),
    I don't follow you. His work was not commercially viable, but threatened to undermine the economic power of his bosses? That seems to be a self contradiction.

I have also read about many "garage scientists" working on free and /or clean(er) energy who have been shunned by the establishment as being crackpots after clearly making some ground-breaking discoveries.
    Don't believe everything you read. If their discoveries were clear even to you, it wouldn't be that easy to discredit them would it? Can you cite any examples, or is this just rumor?
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 13:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Thats the trouble with science and inventions. We cannot dictate to the users what they may be used for.
    But that is a totally different topic from cover-ups or deliberate deception by the scientific community or its sponsors.

[b]People like Nikola Tesla have been used up and spat out(and discredited) after his work was no longer commercially viable ( ...[text shortened]... be that easy to discredit them would it? Can you cite any examples, or is this just rumor?
    Tesla was useful for coming up with new inventions that were commercially viable, hence he was employed by GE. When he tried to go furthur and develop better scouces of energy, that would threaten the economic power of his employers, he was discarded and discreditted.

I dont believe everything I read.
    I cant cite any examples right now, but it is more than just rumour.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 13:22

[b]People like Nikola Tesla have been used up and spat out(and discredited) after his work was no longer commercially viable ( ...[text shortened]... be that easy to discredit them would it? Can you cite any examples, or is this just rumor?
    Ironically we have learned more about matter through the development of weapons because the scientists involved with working with atoms were heavily financed by the military.

This goes back a long way. Not just atom bombs, but the whole history of warfare.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 15:311 edit
    Tesla was useful for coming up with new inventions that were commercially viable, hence he was employed by GE. When he tried to go furthur and develop better scouces of energy, that would threaten the economic power of his employers, he was discarded and discreditted.
    Can you cite any references for this?
    What stopped him from selling his ideas to other people or using them himself?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 15:36
    Ironically we have learned more about matter through the development of weapons because the scientists involved with working with atoms were heavily financed by the military.

This goes back a long way. Not just atom bombs, but the whole history of warfare.
    Yes. As humans we are notoriously bad a funding science unless it can be used for warfare.
    You'll notice a lot of Americans very happy to fund an army, and its massive stock piles of unneeded weapons, but not happy about funding health or science programs. Many other countries are guilty of similar over expenditure on arms. Its partly that the arms industry is so corrupt and 'secretive' and generally not at all clear about its real uses, that it is easy for unscrupulous people to take advantage of it for personal gain.
    Most of the largest cases of corruption in Africa involve arms deals.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 22:06
    Can you cite any references for this?
    What stopped him from selling his ideas to other people or using them himself?
    There is a host of info on this. The books I read about it-I dont remember the titles.
    I just thought it was general information that Tesla was a contreversial scientific figure with strange/futuristic ideas and unusual habits,(ie.he used to electrocute himself). He was employed by GE and did invent the A/C power thingy, so he wasn't a total crackpot.
    I think he needed finance for his works in progress but when his employers realized what Tesla was planning, they gave him the axe. Not only that he was publicly discreditted and died a broken man. Or something like that.
    I'm a bit low on credit this month-how about you google it if you're interested🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree