1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 20:59
    http://www.lifesitenews.com/idn/2009/dec/09121113.html

Former President Jimmy Carter has come out and blamed traditional religions, particularly Southern Baptists and Catholics, for "creating an environment where violations against women are justified." He asserted that, "It's clear that during the early Christians era women served as deacons, priests, bishops, aposltes, teachers, and prophets. It was not until the 4rth century that men twisted the holy scriptures to perpetuate their ascendant position within their religious hierarcy."
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 03:451 edit
    Originally posted by whodey

Former President Jimmy Carter has come out and blamed traditional religions, particularly Southern Baptists and Catholics, for "creating an environment where violations against women are justified." He asserted that, "It's clear that during the early Christians era women served as deacons, priests, bi ...[text shortened]... he holy scriptures to perpetuate their ascendant position within their religious hierarcy."
    Wow, not takers? I thought someone would either argue that Soutnern Baptists and Caholics are not at the heart of women being oppressed in the US and abroad or they would argue that the early church, before Catholism, did not really liberate women in the fashion he claims.
  3. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 04:23
    Wow, not takers? I thought someone would either argue that Soutnern Baptists and Caholics are not at the heart of women being oppressed in the US and abroad or they would argue that the early church, before Catholism, did not really liberate women in the fashion he claims.
    So...Jimmy Carter says it is "clear" that women in the early church were "priests" and "bishops? Could I have the book, chapter, and verse on which he bases that assumption? Women were given many important roles in the church, but it is my understanding that those two positions were for men only. Strictly speaking...deacons were also men. Women played similar roles but are traditionally called "deaconesses".
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 08:17
    they are busy killing science in the noah's ark thread

keep posting bump until they get around to it.

shouldn't be long, the noah thread is dying, again after a fukload of posts
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 12:25
    Let's keep it simple. We know there are many instances where religious thinking is used to marginalize people, be it women, gays, or peoples of other faiths or races.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 12:35
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Let's keep it simple. We know there are many instances where religious thinking is used to marginalize people, be it women, gays, or peoples of other faiths or races.
    Let's not confuse the difference between what individuals say and do with what the scriptures teach.

Marginalizing people is not exclusive to the religious.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 12:37

Former President Jimmy Carter has come out and blamed traditional religions, particularly Southern Baptists and Catholics, for "creating an environment where violations against women are justified." He asserted that, "It's clear that during the early Christians era women served as deacons, priests, bi ...[text shortened]... he holy scriptures to perpetuate their ascendant position within their religious hierarcy."
    Jimmy Carter is a proven fraud.

From the the things he's been saying lately it's obvious he's getting senile.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 14:21
    Originally posted by ale1552
    So...Jimmy Carter says it is "clear" that women in the early church were "priests" and "bishops? Could I have the book, chapter, and verse on which he bases that assumption? Women were given many important roles in the church, but it is my understanding that those two positions were for men only. Strictly speaking...deacons were also men. Women played similar roles but are traditionally called "deaconesses".
    I do know that before Christianity became "mainstream", church's were held in peoples houses and the houses were run by women for the most part. Women, therefore, had an important role in the early church. In addition, I know of instances in the Bible where women were prophetesses. I believe that the sister of Moses was one such example. As for the rest, perhaps someone else knows what Jimmy is talking about.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 14:54
    Originally posted by josephw
    Jimmy Carter is a proven fraud.

From the the things he's been saying lately it's obvious he's getting senile.
    Now hold on there Joe. I don't much like his politics either, but I think it is not a good thing rejecting information based soley upon the premise that you don't much like the source. Having said that, I think Jimmy is saying something here that even you can appreciate which is that the original scriptures picture women as liberated, however, man made religiousity is sure to follow, as it always does, causing problems as it always does.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 19:14
    if someone takes a stance, contrary to the revealed word of God, the error is their own, they have marginalised themselves!
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 19:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if someone takes a stance, contrary to the revealed word of God, the error is their own, they have marginalised themselves!
    What do you mean when you say the "revealed word of God"?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 19:54
    What do you mean when you say the "revealed word of God"?
    the Bible.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 19:56
    Now hold on there Joe. I don't much like his politics either, but I think it is not a good thing rejecting information based soley upon the premise that you don't much like the source. Having said that, I think Jimmy is saying something here that even you can appreciate which is that the original scriptures picture women as liberated, however, man made religiousity is sure to follow, as it always does, causing problems as it always does.
    That's true. And for the Catholic Church, women are easily the most active people in the church. In most churches, it is women who organise the Mass, act as extraordinary minsters and work as parish assistants. The Catholic Church does not oppress women in refusing to ordain them. In the previous century, three women were recognised as doctors of the Church, the highest status for a saint along with St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas. It is an acknowledgment that their writing is an authoritative and original expression of the Catholic Faith.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 19:57
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the Bible.
    What part?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 19:59
    What part?
    all of it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree