1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 18:32
    Who of you would turn down a free gift from somebody you don't know?

If so discuss why?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 18:35
    Originally posted by dj2becker

If so discuss why?
    That "gift" might turn out to be a load of manure.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 18:41
    Originally posted by rwingett
    That "gift" might turn out to be a load of manure.
    What if the package had the inscription 'valuable' on it?
  4. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 18:45
    What if the package had the inscription 'valuable' on it?
    still could be manure, maybe valuable manure, but still manure.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 18:49
    Originally posted by kingdanwa
    still could be manure, maybe valuable manure, but still manure.
    So what if it ends up not being manure? What if it indeed contained something like a diamond ring? Would you simply reject it because it 'might' have had some manure in it?
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 18:511 edit
    So what if it ends up not being manure? What if it indeed contained something like a diamond ring? Would you simply reject it because it 'might' have had some manure in it?
    I would take that package and accept it into my heart as my Personal Saviour (TM) so that it may show me the way onto Heaven.

Is that the answer you're looking for? 😛
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 19:13
    what if it is a bomb, set to blow your head off when you open it?

this whole thread is just pascal's wager set in the language of dj2-ese. is that all christianity is to you? a wager that you perceive to have no downside? there are many reasons to think that this perception is naive. see for example:

http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/pascal.html
  8. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 19:19
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I would take that package and accept it into my heart as my Personal Saviour (TM) so that it may show me the way onto Heaven.

LMAO.....I swear poor dj is so inept at being subtle. He ought to consider a career in writing informericials:

"What if you could double your income in half of the time? Would you do it?"

I must admit I admire his "sticktoitness" though. Logic be damned....

Fine dj, I will play along in this thread too....Ahem:

"Why yes. If I was offered a gift I would be very interested in taking it. Can you tell me what this gift is?"

(Drumroll please....)
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 19:30

If so discuss why?
    If it were a horse, I would check it's teeth. You don't want a free horse if it is just going to die... they are less than easy to bury.

P-
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 19:30

If so discuss why?
    Is this a question or a sermon? I get solicitations over the phone all the time of something I "just can't live without." Here is an actual verbatim of one I had today.

Caller: "Hello, sir. I have a wonderful offer for you - a $500 shopping spree.

Me: Great! Thanks so much. Just send me the money and I will look forward to spending it.

C; Well, sir, allow me to explain...

M: Explain what? You just said I won a $500 shopping spree. Just send the money.

C: Sir, we would like for you to take advantage of a wonderful opportunity if I may explain.

M: You just did. You said I won that wonderful opportunity.

C: Yes, and we would like for you to take advantage of by....

M: Have a nice day (click).

Did you see how that worked? Somebody was lying to me to get me hoodwinked into givng them something. Could it be money?

Here's another one. Pay attention. Learning at the hands of Discover.

Caller: Sir, because of your good credit we want to offer you a Discover card that will pay for purchases.

Me: So you all are paying for what I buy?

C: If I may explain. You get a refund on purchases with your card.

M: So that sounds great! I can use it and you all pay for everything.

C: Not exactly sir.

M: But that's exactly what you said. Were you listening to what you said? You said I will get a refund on purchases with the card. Simple and clear, don't you think.

C: Oh I can see how that was confusing.

M: But I wan't confused, you were, so have a nice day. (click)

Listen to me carefully. Nothing is free. You have to work for stuff you want.
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 19:54
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Is this a question or a sermon? I get solicitations over the phone all the time of something I "just can't live without." Here is an actual verbatim of one I had today.

Me: Great! Thanks so much. Just send me the money and I will look forward to spending it.

C ...[text shortened]... (click)

That's just beautiful.

I hope you don't mind if I steal some of that material for the next time I receive a wonderful offer of my own.
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 19:59
    That's just beautiful.

I hope you don't mind if I steal some of that material for the next time I receive a wonderful offer of my own.
    The best I have heard (literally) was a guy who put out a CD of phone solicitations he received. He was talking to this woman and said that he was doing an abortion. He had the vacuum cleaner running and a woman hollaring in the backround. It was great.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 20:011 edit

Caller: "Hello, sir. I have a wonderful offer for you - a ...[text shortened]... fully. Nothing is free. You have to work for stuff you want.

very well said and great post. somehow, i think that if the christian god does exist, then he did not give us hands solely for the purpose of being able to pick up and handle free packages. faith based solely on pascal's wager is not what he has in mind.
  14. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 20:097 edits

Darvlay you still crack me up man. Have you now trademarked "personal savior ™"?

Jesus Christ© that's funny

Crap, I edited the heck out of this thing to try and get the html for trademark to work. oh well....

15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 20:40

C ...[text shortened]... (click)

Bravo. Recced....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree