1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 10:15
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    If I came in with a strong stance I may have got no reply. πŸ˜€

OK. The point of my question at first was just to get your take on any unspecified gift. I was planing on bringing in another analogy later on. But I guess you just spoilt the surprise element. πŸ™
    If you come in with a strong stance people will debate with you properly. All you're getting here is dinner chat. No-one is falling for these tactics, they are pointless, underhand and simplistic. Analogies aren't the basis for debate (though they may be used to support lines of thinking), but sometimes I think all you have is analogies.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 10:401 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    If you come in with a strong stance people will debate with you properly. All you're getting here is dinner chat. No-one is falling for these tactics, they are pointless, underhand and simplistic. Analogies aren't the basis for debate ...[text shortened]... nes of thinking), but sometimes I think all you have is analogies.
    Don't good analogys usually provide their own support lines of thinking? I mean you have to be rather dull to miss the point made by an analogy. Sometimes I get the impression that you only read my analogies. πŸ™
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 10:45
    Don't good analogys usually provide their own support lines of thinking? I mean you have to be rather dull to miss the point made by an analogy. Sometimes I get the impression that you only read my analogies. πŸ™
    When analogies are both unsupported and as ambiguous (they usually follow a premise, not define a new topic) as yours, they fail to have any real point at all. If you choose to use this course of action, you end up arguing in metaphors rather than concrete points. How can you reach any conclusions in this way?
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 10:51
    When analogies are both unsupported and as ambiguous (they usually follow a premise, not define a new topic) as yours, they fail to have any real point at all. If you choose to use this course of action, you end up arguing in metaphors rather than concrete points. How can you reach any conclusions in this way?
    Some people are easily offended. Thus I suppose the safest way (for me) is to use a metaphorical argument. I suppose using ambiguities provide you with a trump card whenever someone starts hurling those insults. πŸ™
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 11:07
    Some people are easily offended. Thus I suppose the safest way (for me) is to use a metaphorical argument. I suppose using ambiguities provide you with a trump card whenever someone starts hurling those insults. πŸ™
    I very much doubt any of the opponents you meet in this forum are easily offended. What you are calling a trump card not only appears to others as a sign that your arguements are riddled with holes, but also degrade your own ability to construct effective arguements. I think you do yourself a disservice by using analogies so prominently.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 12:162 edits
    I very much doubt any of the opponents you meet in this forum are easily offended. What you are calling a trump card not only appears to others as a sign that your arguements are riddled with holes, but also degrade your own ability to co ...[text shortened]... nk you do yourself a disservice by using analogies so prominently.
    I very much doubt any of the opponents you meet in this forum are easily offended.

I'm not so sure if Joe Fist will agree with you...

Thanks for the advise though πŸ™‚
  7. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 13:431 edit
    [b]I very much doubt any of the opponents you meet in this forum are easily offended.

I'm not so sure if Joe Fist will agree with you...

Thanks for the advise though πŸ™‚[/b]
    The only thing I find offensive is your condescending nature in the threads you create. Considering your age, it is laughable.

In one of these inane threads (I forget because they pretty much are all that way) you said, to paraphrase, "I want to get people to think". Do you realize that probably many of us have had significantly much more life experience than that of a 19 year old boy?

All of your threads are the same: You are attempting to prove conclusively to the Atheists and Agnostics of the world that they are wrong. You create these threads, "A free gift", "For The Atheist", "Please stop being Agnostic", etc. You have lost every single discussion you have started due to your inability to argue coherently.

And for the love of your god, would you please quit pretending you are not attempting to peddle your faith on us "heathens"? I know you will deny you are but it is obvious to all who oppose you that "you are". Even the title of your threads without even reading them are a dead giveaway.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 14:12
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    The only thing I find offensive is your condescending nature in the threads you create. Considering your age, it is laughable.

In one of these inane threads (I forget because they pretty much are all that way) you said, to paraphrase, "I want to get people to think". Do you realize that probably many of us have had significantly much more life experi ...[text shortened]... at "you are". Even the title of your threads without even reading them are a dead giveaway.
    I'm sorry Uncle Joe. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.πŸ™
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 14:151 edit
    LOL!

I think you've been on these forums too long; your sarcastic side is starting to blossom quite nicely.
  10. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 14:19
    So you don't deny then any of the statements I have made about you?

And a piece of advice: If you want to go down "Sarcasm Lane" then I will be your bus driver, kid. You are hardly old enough much less smart enough to tangle with me.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulΓ€rer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 14:21
    Originally posted by darvlay
    LOL!

I think you've been on these forums too long; your sarcastic side is starting to blossom quite nicely.
    How can you doubt the sincerity of that forlorn smiley?
  12. London
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 14:22

And a piece of advice: If you want to go down "Sarcasm Lane" then I will be your bus driver, kid. You are hardly old enough much less smart enough to tangle with me.
    Now, now - let's not knock all 19-year olds. Some of us were actually atheists by that age!

Re: comments on dj2 - I agree with you.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 14:26

I was scared that if I denied any of the statements I wouldn't get my ice-cream after the hiding.πŸ™

In fact, I'm thinking obout throwing my toys out the cot. πŸ˜€
  14. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 15:36
    I was scared that if I denied any of the statements I wouldn't get my ice-cream after the hiding.πŸ™

In fact, I'm thinking obout throwing my toys out the cot. πŸ˜€
    To be ignorant is one thing but to be ignornant and make a feeble attempt to be witty is another. The strength of your repartee is about the equivalent of wet tissue paper.

Okay Junior, here is your chance to shine. Do you deny it is a goal of yours to prove to the atheiests and agnostics who post here that Jesus Christ is God? Is your faith so unsteady that you are unable to take solace in what you believe is enough to sustain you?
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 16:49
    To be ignorant is one thing but to be ignornant and make a feeble attempt to be witty is another. The strength of your repartee is about the equivalent of wet tissue paper.

Okay Junior, here is your chance to shine. Do you deny it is a goal of yours to prove to the atheiests and agnostics who post here that Jesus Christ is God? Is your faith so unsteady that you are unable to take solace in what you believe is enough to sustain you?
    All I am worried about is the reality of lost souls. I have experienced the power of One has set me free from the bondage of sin. I only wish the same for you and everybody else. You might think I'm crazy and insult me but i'm afraid you cannot put out the flame inside me. I do it all out of love. And yes, you are right, I most definately used the wrong approach. I made a lot of mistakes in my over eagerness. Forgive me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree