1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '19 23:20
    @philokalia said
    So what do you believe, then? You're an agnostic?
    So you haven't read any of my posts this last year? I just spent 30 mins typing an answer to a question and you breazed past it dismissing it as a copy paste. How much effort should I make this time? Here: I'm an agnostic atheist. Look it up yourself.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    05 Mar '19 23:37
    @fmf said
    I am not using it negatively or pejoratively.
    Normally, it would be an insult to refer to religious belief as superstition.

In fact, everyone knows that.

But, you have a specialized and academic use of the word superstition. You are actually just using it in a way that... isn't negative. Right?

Do you think that Sonship was perhaps, then, just drawing an analogy, and he wasn't actually trying to call someone specifically a drunken leper..?

Could I refer to anyone who doesn't know Christ as an "ignoramus" in a way that was not a pejorative, as well, and you would accept being called an "ignoramus" in spite of the fact that it normally has a negative context?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '19 23:40
    @philokalia said
    Normally, it would be an insult to refer to religious belief as superstition.

In fact, everyone knows that.

But, you have a specialized and academic use of the word superstition. You are actually just using it in a way that... isn't negative. Right?

Do you think that Sonship was perhaps, then, just drawing an analogy, and he wasn't actually trying ...[text shortened]... uld accept being called an "ignoramus" in spite of the fact that it normally has a negative context?
    I am not using the words "superstitious" and "superstition" negatively or pejoratively. The definition of "superstition" I am using is 'belief in supernatural causality'.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '19 23:44
    @philokalia said
    Do you think that Sonship was perhaps, then, just drawing an analogy, and he wasn't actually trying to call someone specifically a drunken leper..?
    I think he was lashing out at Ghost of a Duke and, even in the midst of the red mist of his anger, he was trying to sound vaguely biblical.
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 00:17
    @fmf said
    I am not using the words "superstitious" and "superstition" negatively or pejoratively. The definition of "superstition" I am using is 'belief in supernatural causality'.
    Alright, I think the word you should use is "belief in God" or "belief in supernatural causality," or you could just say "theism" in some of these instances.

referring to it as a supserstition because the general definition of it looks something like this:

superstition ►
    n. An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.
    n. A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.
    n. A fearful or abject state of mind resulting from such ignorance or irrationality.

You are not using English correctly...

If you approached this with a sort of academic rigor and were trying to merely specialize the usage of this word to a thing, like the way that one might say "by nihilism I do not mean a belief in nothing, but moreso a belief in some pragmatic utilitarianism and no greater truth," it'd be one thing...

But you are just using it as an insult.

And claiming you are not insulting anyone.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 00:21
    @philokalia said
    Alright, I think the word you should use is "belief in God" or "belief in supernatural causality," or you could just say "theism" in some of these instances.

referring to it as a supserstition because the general definition of it looks something like this:

[quote]superstition ►
    n. An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to ...[text shortened]... ne thing...

But you are just using it as an insult.

And claiming you are not insulting anyone.
    I am fine with how I use the words. No insult is intended. And now you know.
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 01:01
    @fmf said
    I am fine with how I use the words. No insult is intended. And now you know.
    Why should I believe that you have pure intentions when you have chosen to use a loaded word..?

Just by your word?

You have implied I'm not clever enough to understand what you write before, and you are inclined to these long, trolling series of microposts... Why should I think you actually have good intentions when you use the word?

Why should I accept it as the new normal?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 01:18
    @philokalia said
    Why should I believe that you have pure intentions when you have chosen to use a loaded word..?

Just by your word?

You have implied I'm not clever enough to understand what you write before, and you are inclined to these long, trolling series of microposts... Why should I think you actually have good intentions when you use the word?

Why should I accept it as the new normal?
    I am fine with the vocabulary I use. You are wasting your breath.

This all feels like a deflection.

I got a whiff of it when you just blanked out a longer text I sent.

We were talking about "free will" in the context of "superstition" and now you are rabbitting away on some tangential self-pitying riff about vocabulary.

If you're done trying to promote or defend or rationalize your religion and dismissing my personal testimony and perspective as ignorant, uneducated, unaware, uninformed, very shallow, sadly narrow blah blah blah - as is your prerogative, then just say you've said all you can think of to say, and we can be done with it.
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 01:29
    Oh no, I take issue with how you were using that word. I think it is a pejorative and I do not just freely accept your explanation.

I think you have shown a pattern for contempt by routinely trolling theists here -- though with a few exceptions -- and you aren't using this word in a charitable or qualified way.

I am also unaware of some part of your argument that I haven't adequately addressed?

What is it I have missed?

You keep saying that you apparently have no choice,and then you subsequently admit that it isn't irrational to believe in God, but you still act like your rationality has trapped you into being a non-theist.

I haven't seen how you have untangled that so I thought you were just giving us some anecdotes or something..?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 01:31
    @philokalia said
    Oh no, I take issue with how you were using that word. I think it is a pejorative and I do not just freely accept your explanation.
    Take it to the website admin. Or thumb it down every time.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 01:32
    @philokalia said
    I think you have shown a pattern for contempt by routinely trolling theists here -- though with a few exceptions -- and you aren't using this word in a charitable or qualified way.
    I am not interested in your browbeating.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 01:33
    @philokalia said
    I am also unaware of some part of your argument that I haven't adequately addressed?

What is it I have missed?

You keep saying that you apparently have no choice,and then you subsequently admit that it isn't irrational to believe in God, but you still act like your rationality has trapped you into being a non-theist.

I haven't seen how you have untangled that so I thought you were just giving us some anecdotes or something..?
    OK, thanks then. Thanks for trying.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree