1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 19:00
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Actually, I doubt he would consider something as boring as soccer a "sport" (it's mostly jogging with a ball being occasionally kicked within 20 yards of a goal).
    Well I suppose that's how it goes in the "Grandma Soccer clubs".

Actually there's always a standing ovation when someone actually makes contanct with the ball 😀
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 19:061 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Are you frogstomps prophet? 😉

If so would you mind filling in the gaps?
    dj2,

froggie can only lead you to water...

i found this to be interesting reading, and an interesting site in general:

http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/paultheology.html

EDIT: i think you should take time to peruse the whole site since you often resort to leaning on pascal's wager in theistic arguments.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 07:42
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    dj2,

froggie can only lead you to water...

i found this to be interesting reading, and an interesting site in general:

http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/paultheology.html

EDIT: i think you should take time to peruse the whole site since you often resort to leaning on pascal's wager in theistic arguments.
    I read the article. I find it very hard to believe that it was written from an objective point of view. Would you like to defend any of their claims?
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 08:11
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I'm sure you understood my little joke.

What does your nickname mean?
    What does your nickname mean?

Danish for Bad Breath
  5. Gangster Land
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 08:29
    I read the article. I find it very hard to believe that it was written from an objective point of view. Would you like to defend any of their claims?
    Yet, you seem to have no problem accepting the objectivity of the Bible itself and all of it's apologists!?

Please, if you would be so kind, list for me the books and/or websites you have read that seek to discredit the Bible and/or Christianity. You owe it to yourself to at the very least understand the other side of the story. It is not a sin to examine your faith, I would expect God finds our honest persuit of the truth one of our most redeeming qualities.

I find it hard to believe that God is interested in a person that simply latched on to the first religion (Christianity) presented to him/her and never explored other religions or even questioned the validity of their own. What kind of faith is that?

Come on dj2! If you could stop being dogmatic for a few seconds and open your eyes to other educated opinions or even other religions you would not only be a better person but your own faith could become more nuanced and fulfilling.

TheSkipper
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 08:36
    You asked whether anything Paul said contradicted the words of Jesus.
    Here's a quote from The Skipper's link:

"The most significant difference in the teachings of these two men, however, lies in their attitude towards the Law of Moses. In fact one of the fundamental tenets of Pauline theology is that Jesus' death actually abrogated the law. This is expounded clearly in the passage from one of his epistles:

Galatians 2:15-16
    We who are Jews by birth and not "Gentile sinners" know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one is justified.

This teaching of Paul's is, of course, familiar to Christians today. Yet tradition preserved a saying of Jesus which stated the complete opposite of what Paul taught above. Jesus: [9]

Matthew 5:17-20
    "Do not think I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish the law but to fulfil them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses those of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Note the complete contradiction in the two passages above. The sentence italicized showed the contradiction even more clearly: Paul is saying "we are not justified by observing the law" and Jesus is saying, in contrast, that "whoever practices the law will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." "

7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 09:21

"The most significant difference in the teachings of these two men, however, lies in their attitude towards the Law of Moses. In fact one of the fundamental tenets of Pauline theology is that Jesus' death actually abrogated the law. Thi ...[text shortened]... rast, that "whoever practices the law will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." "

Both these passages have been taken out of context. Paul is not refering to the ten commandments as the "law" but rather the 360 laws which the pharasees held. He is saying that the "works" of the law cannot save you.

Christ does not in any way contradict the words of Paul or visa versa. Christ by no means says that keeping the law only will justify you. This is clear when he speaks to the young ruler. He had kept all the laws, but that did not justify him. He had to sell everything he had and follow Jesus.

Christ also says in another portion "If you love me, you will keep my commandments."
  8. London
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 09:36

"The most significant difference in the teachings of these two men, however, lies in their attitude towards the Law of Moses. In fact one of the fundamental tenets of Pauline theology is that Jesus' death actually abrogated the law. Thi ...[text shortened]... rast, that "whoever practices the law will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." "

The oddest thing about Mt 5 is that, right after Jesus says that he has not come to abolish the laws and the prophets, he goes on to do just that (e.g. about the Mosaic laws on divorce, revenge etc.)

Is it possible that the writer of Matthew simply contradicted himself in the space of a few verses? Or is it more likely that "the law" in v.17 referred to something other than the stipulations of the Mosaic/Pharisaic law?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree