1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 17:23
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Again, that wasn't what I was asking. Here it is once more -

Can you think of any more examples where you have read material which challenges your religious beliefs?
    I have already answered this, i read material here that challenges my beliefs all the time.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 18:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Vulcans are vegans
    Damn your logic vulcan.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 18:26
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Damn your logic vulcan.
    May I say that I have not thoroughly enjoyed serving with humans? I find their illogic and foolish emotions a constant irritant 😵
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 18:42
    May I say that I have not thoroughly enjoyed serving with humans? I find their illogic and foolish emotions a constant irritant 😵
    Two points worth considering my Vulcan friend:

In the mid-22nd century, Vulcans still carry remnants of their more emotional selves. At this period in their history, they are secretive and, according to the Andorians, perpetual liars.

Vulcans have copper-based blood.

😲
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 19:381 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Two points worth considering my Vulcan friend:

In the mid-22nd century, Vulcans still carry remnants of their more emotional selves. At this period in their history, they are secretive and, according to the Andorians, perpetual liars.

Vulcans have copper-based blood.

😲
    Andorian ale is a blue alcoholic beverage and Andorian blues is a genre of music. 😲
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 20:00
    Andorian ale is a blue alcoholic beverage and Andorian blues is a genre of music. 😲
    Beam him up Scotty; for the love of God beam him up.
  7. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 08:131 edit
    Its not a mistake and never can be a mistake when you are comparing two subjective realities, all that you can say with any certainty is which one appears more plausible to you.
    You're missing the point of why goddidit isn't very useful in science, which is that as soon as you go there in your mind, your scientific progress on the particular problem grinds to a halt, full stop, hits the wall at two hundred. This is a very useless state of mind in science.

For the record, we live in one reality, with nothing to compare it with. I just don't believe there's more to it than meets the ideal scientific instrumentation and methods, and our understanding of it is only as good as the greatest scientific minds can explain.

Beyond that lies the ignorance (what you call a different reality), the only place where superstitious vodoo mumbo jumbo thrives, enjoy it as we occasionally might, until instrumentation and methods improve further and new great minds push supersticious nonsense ever deeper into that diminishing (yet curiously infinite) space I like to call lala land.

{Insert powerful music}

Nah, I'm just kidding.

{Stop music!}

Goddidit makes total sense. Truly it does. It begs so many testable, answerable questions that I personally don't think humanity will ever satisfactorally answer them all. Who but god, eh? No matter how much we manage to answer and understand, if there are still things we find mysterious, hard to understand or their natural explanations improbable, it's good to know that there's always that Newton escape:

This most beautiful System of the Sun, Planets, and Comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.

Replace irregular planetary orbits with whatever you find curious today (BBB), and you'll also stop making progress on that problem: "what natural process could possibly explain this?" Yes! This a one-time offer. You too can retard your scientific development. All you have to do is embrace a more religious manner of thought, and it's more or less guaranteed.

Please take note! You should still do science where it doesn't conflict with religion. That way we can claim that science and religion works together. Look at that great scientist over there, so deeply religious.

{Looking left and right, whispering:}

Don't tell anyone. I think they're on to us.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 08:49
    Originally posted by C Hess
    You're missing the point of why goddidit isn't very useful in science, which is that as soon as you go there in your mind, your scientific progress on the particular problem grinds to a halt, full stop, hits the wall at two hundred. This is a very useless state of mind in science.

For the record, we live in one reality, with nothing to compare it with. I j ...[text shortened]... s.

Don't tell anyone. I think they're on to us.[/i]
    Knowing God did it is very useful in science, because we know there is a reason for it rather than just an accidental occurrence. The scientists that believed in God were able to discover that what the evolutionist dismissed as just junk DNA was not junk DNA after all, but had specific purposes as one would expect if God did it. 😏
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 09:091 edit

For the record, we live in one reality, with nothing to compare it with. I j ...[text shortened]... s.

Don't tell anyone. I think they're on to us.[/i]
    Your approach is the biggest strawman evah! Why can you not understand that its more rational to believe in a creator than it is to believe that the universe arose through sheer blind chance? It is inconceivable to any rational, logical and reasoning person that a system that is governed by precise laws and mechanisms could have blindly self fabricated itself.

You are asking us to believe that upon entering a desert for many days we come upon a beautiful home, with all of life's necessities, food in the cupboards, fuel in the basement, air conditioning and conclude that it self fabricated. Its nonsense! absolute balderdash and here you are talking about lala land? Ironic or what?

Newton understood it, he saw intelligence and design, harmony and beauty, wisdom and power. Science does not conflict with his religion, on the contrary, it fortified it. There is no conflict between science and religion. Where it differs is when the materials embarks upon lauding unobserved phenomena, unfalsifiable hypothesis and abandons the scientific model for pure conjecture and speculation masquerading as scientific fact. Well enough of the pretense, talented and rational people everywhere are abandoning the empty deception that is materialism and are embracing the same God that Newton did, the father of the celestial lights!and may they unearth the handiwork of the creator in doing so!
  10. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 09:391 edit
    Your approach is the biggest strawman evah! Why can you not understand that its more rational to believe in a creator than it is to believe that the universe arose through sheer blind chance? It is inconceivable to any rational, logical and reasoning person that a system that is governed by precise laws and mechanisms could have blindly self fabric ...[text shortened]... he father of the celestial lights!and may they unearth the handiwork of the creator in doing so!
    I dream of building my own car, in just the way I want it. I want it to convey the deepest philosophical truth I know of, yet in a light hearted manner. It will be an automatic with a C where there's usually a P, and S where you'd otherwise have a D.

R is of course reserved to replace the N, indicating it will stand still as long as you hold the breaks, otherwise stand still, move forwards or backwards depending on the current inclination of the underlying foundation.

Now, admittedly, there's a flaw in the plan with two R's, so to clarify I will put D for reverse, and never let anyone else drive this car of mine.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '15 02:35
    I dream of building my own car, in just the way I want it. I want it to convey the deepest philosophical truth I know of, yet in a light hearted manner. It will be an automatic with a C where there's usually a P, and S where you'd otherwise have a D.

R is of course reserved to replace the N, indicating it will stand still as long as you hold the breaks, ot ...[text shortened]... o R's, so to clarify I will put D for reverse, and never let anyone else drive this car of mine.
    God's amazing design

YouTube
  12. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '15 06:24
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    God's amazing design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTnD1LBi4kA
    Cloaca

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloaca
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '15 18:14
    Cloaca

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloaca
    Another ad hominem attack, I suppose.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Jun '15 18:18
    I know not a few persons who were witnesses and who became atheists after sometime...
    Is your convoluted way of admitting you know a lot of ex JWs who after considering what your organisation has to offer, were so put off they abandoned religion altogether?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree