From atheist to Witness of the Most High

From atheist to Witness of the Most High

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
11 Jun 15
1 edit

I provide the following for the edification of our atheist friends.

For more than a decade, Frédéric Dumoulin has worked in the field of pharmaceutical research at Ghent University in Belgium. At one time he was an atheist. But later Frédéric became convinced that God created life. Awake! asked Frédéric—who is now one of Jehovah’s Witnesses—about his work and his faith.

Did your knowledge of science make believing in God difficult?

No. When I first came to believe in God, I had been studying science at a university for three years. To this day, the more I study the design of living things, the more I am convinced that there is a Creator.

Can you give us an example?

Yes. I’ve studied the effects of medications and toxins on living creatures. A design that impresses me is how our brain is protected from dangerous substances and from bacteria. There is a barrier that keeps our blood separate from our brain cells.

What is remarkable about that?

Over a hundred years ago, researchers noticed that substances introduced into the bloodstream enter every area of the body—except the brain and spinal cord. That fact is astonishing to me, because an immense network of tiny capillary vessels takes blood to every cell in the brain. All brain cells are cleaned, fed, and oxygenated by blood. So, how can our blood be kept separate from our brain cells? For many years it was a mystery.

How does the barrier work?

Microscopic blood vessels are not like plastic tubes that keep what’s inside separate from what’s outside. The walls of blood vessels are made of cells. These cells allow substances and microbes to pass through them and between them. However, the cells making up the blood vessels in our brain are different. They’re tightly connected to each other. These cells and the tight junctions between them are amazing. A vast array of complex mechanisms ensure that some things—such as oxygen, carbon dioxide, and glucose—pass between the bloodstream and the brain in a regulated way. But other compounds, proteins, and cells are kept out. So the blood-brain barrier operates at a molecular level to produce physical, chemical, and electrical barriers. For me, such design simply could not have evolved.

jw.org

Infidel

Moves
11 Jun 15

Pretty crappy design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meningitis

Moves
11 Jun 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie

For more than a decade, Frédéric Dumoulin has worked in the field of pharmaceutical research at Ghent University in Belgium. At one time he was an atheist. But later Frédéric became convinced that God created life. Awake! asked Frédéric—who is now one of Jehovah’s Witnesses—about ...[text shortened]... chemical, and electrical barriers. For me, such design simply could not have evolved.

jw.org
Yet another case of: "I don't understand how, therefore god".

I'm so happy and thankful to all scientists of the past who didn't surrender their critical faculties so easily.

F

Moves
11 Jun 15

Microscopic blood vessels are not like plastic tubes that keep what’s inside separate from what’s outside. The walls of blood vessels are made of cells. These cells allow substances and microbes to pass through them and between them. However, the cells making up the blood vessels in our brain are different. They’re tightly connected to each other. Th ...[text shortened]... physical, chemical, and electrical barriers. For me, such design simply could not have evolved.
Talking of the JW org and blood, the Watchtower once quoted Brazilian surgeon Dr Américo Valério as saying transfusions were often followed by -- "moral insanity, sexual perversions, repression, inferiority complexes, petty crimes" and Dr Alonzo Jay Shadman claiming that a person's blood "contains all the peculiarities of the individual ... [including] hereditary taints, disease susceptibilities, poisons due to personal living, eating and drinking habits ... The poisons that produce the impulse to commit suicide, murder, or steal are in the blood."

Do you agree with this?

Cape Town

Moves
11 Jun 15

What am I supposed to be edified on? Are you attempting to teach me about the blood brain barrier? If so, why?
Or are you attempting to teach me that there are some people who are amazed by science and think God did it? If so, that is not new information to me, so I don't feel edified. I obviously don't agree with the person in question and he has failed to give a good justification for his beliefs.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Jun 15

For more than a decade, Frédéric Dumoulin has worked in the field of pharmaceutical research at Ghent University in Belgium. At one time he was an atheist. But later Frédéric became convinced that God created life. Awake! asked Frédéric—who is now one of Jehovah’s Witnesses—about ...[text shortened]... chemical, and electrical barriers. For me, such design simply could not have evolved.

jw.org
All i've been edified about is that Awake is pretty crap at conducting interviews.

Come on Robbie, is that all you've got. Less Kryptonite, more damp squid.

rc

Moves
11 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by C Hess
Yet another case of: "I don't understand how, therefore god".

I'm so happy and thankful to all scientists of the past who didn't surrender their critical faculties so easily.
He did not say that he does not understand, what he actually said was that the probability of such a complex system arising through the process of evolution remains so remote to him as to discount it as a reality, So my dear Mr. Hess get a Swenska maiden to feel your bum and be brought back to reality.

rc

Moves
11 Jun 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
What am I supposed to be edified on? Are you attempting to teach me about the blood brain barrier? If so, why?
Or are you attempting to teach me that there are some people who are amazed by science and think God did it? If so, that is not new information to me, so I don't feel edified. I obviously don't agree with the person in question and he has failed to give a good justification for his beliefs.
what you learn is entirely up to you.

rc

Moves
11 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
All i've been edified about is that Awake is pretty crap at conducting interviews.

Come on Robbie, is that all you've got. Less Kryptonite, more damp squid.
Oh its not all I've got me 'ol china cup, its only the beginning. Never the less I thank you for your encouragement, have posted a note on my monitor, must do better, Ghost of a Duke demands it!

Cape Town

Moves
11 Jun 15

He did not say that he does not understand, what he actually said was that the probability of such a complex system arising through the process of evolution remains so remote to him as to discount it as a reality, So my dear Mr. Hess get a Swenska maiden to feel your bum and be brought back to reality.
So, basically, he didn't understand.

Cape Town

Moves
11 Jun 15

what you learn is entirely up to you.
That is not what I asked you. I asked you what you expected me to learn, since you claimed your post was for my edification.

rc

Moves
11 Jun 15
1 edit

So, basically, he didn't understand.
He sounds as though he knows what he is talking about to me. Then again perhaps you are more an expert in his field than he is.

rc

Moves
11 Jun 15

That is not what I asked you. I asked you what you expected me to learn, since you claimed your post was for my edification.
Again what you expect to learn is entirely up to you.

Cape Town

Moves
11 Jun 15

For me, such design simply could not have evolved.
If he had anything scientific and not religious, he would be in for a Nobel prize. Instead of submitting a scientific paper on the matter, he chose to talk to Awake. Basically, he's got nothing.

Cape Town

Moves
11 Jun 15

Again what you expect to learn is entirely up to you.
And again, that is not what you were asked.