Funeral etiquette

Funeral etiquette

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
28 Aug 07

I was reading about the death of a prominant judge in the state. I noticed an interesting picture at his funeral. All the judges and lawyers wore robes. My immediate response was "well, why do lawyers need all that attention?" Seems like that kept the focus on their importance and not the person who died.

If a prominant surgeon died, I could not imagine all his physician colleagues showing up in scrubs to pay tribute to him.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
28 Aug 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
I was reading about the death of a prominant judge in the state. I noticed an interesting picture at his funeral. All the judges and lawyers wore robes. My immediate response was "well, why do lawyers need all that attention?" Seems like that kept the focus on their importance and not the person who died.

If a prominant surgeon died, I could not imagine all his physician colleagues showing up in scrubs to pay tribute to him.
You're probably right. But maybe it is a tradition. Some kind of man made institutional, and class divisional ceremony. You know, an elitist, self serving bunch of snobs.
Or maybe they just liked the guy.
What do you suppose they were wearing under their robes?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
28 Aug 07

Originally posted by josephw
You're probably right. But maybe it is a tradition. Some kind of man made institutional, and class divisional ceremony. You know, an elitist, self serving bunch of snobs.
Or maybe they just liked the guy.
What do you suppose they were wearing under their robes?
I'm sure they liked the guy. Maybe I was being too judgmental. I just don't want anyone thinking less of my dead ass just because I have some belly dancers at my funeral. I'd rather have that than a bunch of lawyers wearing their robes.

s

England

Moves
28 Aug 07

When a ROYAL dies they pull out the regalia does it deflect or enhance the experiance for the living of this world. When Diana went the way people put flowers on route it could not have bothered her.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
28 Aug 07

Originally posted by stoker
When a ROYAL dies they pull out the regalia does it deflect or enhance the experiance for the living of this world. When Diana went the way people put flowers on route it could not have bothered her.
When you're dead, you're dead. All the regalia will not change the fact that you are no more important or less dead than anyone else.

s

England

Moves
29 Aug 07
1 edit

When you're dead, you're dead. All the regalia will not change the fact that you are no more important or less dead than anyone else.
you missed my point. the ceromony is for the living of this world. Would JFK. M Luther etc just been dumpt in the ground not upset more people after thier sad departure. God tells us to be more worried about him who after death can . But it remains that we humans value the send off, and the show of mourning.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
29 Aug 07

All manner of ceremony (western world) relate in one fashion or another to some aspect of Christianity. Admittedly, most of the rites have denegrated to ritual without reality, but we do them for reasons of remembrance--- a call to mind.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
29 Aug 07

One can only shake their head at this one.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HELMSLEYS_POOCH?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

M

Moves
29 Aug 07

Perhaps this was the way to show respect for the judges' professional reputation, more than as a personal friend. Comparable to funerals in the army or firefighting departments.

PN

Moves
29 Aug 07

You speak as though you know what it feels like to be dead.
I dont like the theories that surround the assumption of death.
I bet you would not have any fact that you would state to prove that you are alive other than the assumptions and theories that have no other means of being proven other than other theories.
I do not belive in bunches of theories even if they filled a busket !

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Aug 07

One can only shake their head at this one.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HELMSLEYS_POOCH?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
We had a dog named Trouble once when I was a kid. One of my
brothers found a puppy in the street ran in front of a car to get it.
The car stopped in time and my brother claimed the puppy as his,
my dad named him Trouble. A year or two later Trouble got hit by a
car and crawled under our house, when we realized he was there my
dad crawled after him. We took him to the Vet where they ended up
taking off one of his back legs, so from that time on he was a three
legged dog. When he used the bath room on a tree instead of just
standing there, he would lift his entire back end off the ground and
pee which all of us kids thought was cool. His back leg became really
powerful too, that dog was an exstremely fast runner, it was like that
back leg would launch him when he wanted to run.

We moved and couldn't keep him so we gave him to our grandparents
who cared for him. Someone later killed him on purpose, which was a
real blow to us. I loved that dog, but would not have given him any
money, that lady was nuts.
Kelly

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
29 Aug 07

Originally posted by Prince Ndandalika
You speak as though you know what it feels like to be dead.
I dont like the theories that surround the assumption of death.
I bet you would not have any fact that you would state to prove that you are alive other than the assumptions and theories that have no other means of being proven other than other theories.
I do not belive in bunches of theories even if they filled a busket !
I keep getting bills in the mail.

M

Moves
29 Aug 07

I just don't want anyone thinking less of my dead ass just because I have some belly dancers at my funeral.
😀

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
29 Aug 07

lol

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
30 Aug 07

I think it's along the same lines as the custom of firefighters, police officers, and the military wearing their dress blues. That doesn't mean I can explain those traditions either, other than sort of wearing your best outfit on a special occasion...