1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 16:22
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    the only two alternatives are that he is straight or doesnt prefer guys or girls
    So Jesus spanked it a lot?
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 18:24
    Now that you have accepted in theory that jesus was gay, when judas kissed him in the garden when they were doing a bit of doging or cottaging, did Jesus throw the tongue in?
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 18:57
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What if your religion called for female circumcision for driving people to virtue? It's all well and fine to say you're for the promotion of virtue, but the difficulty is defining what virtue is exactly. The problem with religion is that their particular version of virtue becomes codified and inflexible (it is, after all, the word of god). So we are left with religions upholding clearly barbaric practices as being necessary for virtue.
    You are absolutely right, Rwingett. I take virtue as something which can be debated and discussed
    utterly apart from religion; that is, you who have no religious leanings can discuss virtue with me,
    Mr Theist.

And, a particular religion espouses a concept of 'virtue' which is demonstrably non-virtuous
    (such as female circumcision), then we can conclude that that religion is not representing 'the word
    of God.'

Yes, religions are often places were sheep-like people follow whatever they are told, but there are
    a lot of places where that happens, too. And I lament with you that this is a great tragedy and a
    great threat to the virtue which we both respect and espouse (in our different ways).

A religion which ignores fundamental scientific insights is a false one, for religion is not science. A
    religion which rests on logical fallacies is a false one, for religions ought to be the pursuit of Truth.

Believe me, I share your distaste for religion, and I am sure that we have both suffered at the hands
    of people imposing a non-virtuous religious stance down our throats, either on a personal or political
    level.

However, I am merely expressing what I think religion should be: the pursuit of truth for the
    sake of understanding and obtaining virtue in an effort to let it inform your life and, consequently
    inspire people to do likewise. A religion based on barbarism fails to do so, in which case it is false.

Nemesio
  4. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 19:30
    If Jesus was proven to be a chutney ferret, I suspect a lot of christians would go off him a bit.
  5. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 22:50
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    If Jesus was proven to be a chutney ferret, I suspect a lot of christians would go off him a bit.
    Perhaps they should excommunicate Him.
  6. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 22:52
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    Uh-oh. Gnostic alert!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Gospel_of_Mark
  7. Glasgow/Scotland
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 09:031 edit
    Jesus was not gay, he just liked good bit of disco.

Clan 24665
  8. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 12:51
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    You don't think it's open to interpretation then?
    I mean, he did surround himself with the disciples...all of whom were men....

Coincidence?
    You are assuming that Jesus only surrounded himself with men. But let's go with that a second...if a male surrounding himself with mostly men is the criterion for determining a man's sexuality, then all men who play on chess sites are gay, all men who work in male-dominated workplaces are gay, all men in the military are gay, all men in team sports are gay -- geez, no wonder I can't get a date! There are barely any straight men on the planet!
  9. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 19:04
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Why not base the religion in JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings then? If the veracity of the source cannot be trusted that surely undermines the entire edifice.
    Because Tolkien himself would have been appalled. He wasn't trying to start a new religion. He was a Christian and a linguist; and he just needed a backdrop to put all the cool-sounding words he had thought up in.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 21:35
    Originally posted by reader1107
    You are assuming that Jesus only surrounded himself with men. But let's go with that a second...if a male surrounding himself with mostly men is the criterion for determining a man's sexuality, then all men who play on chess sites are gay, all men who work in male-dominated workplaces are gay, all men in the military are gay, all men in team sports are gay -- geez, no wonder I can't get a date! There are barely any straight men on the planet!
    That and most men don't like hairy women.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    01 Dec '06 00:28
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Because Tolkien himself would have been appalled. He wasn't trying to start a new religion. He was a Christian and a linguist; and he just needed a backdrop to put all the cool-sounding words he had thought up in.
    You think Jesus would be any less appalled by some of the things people do in the name of religion?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree