1. Not Kansas
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 00:241 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    From a Catholic perspective, the Pope does not determine the Church's stance - God does (through Scripture and Tradition). A Pope cannot create new dogma from thin air (nor repeal old ones).
    Through interpretation of Scripture and Tradition?
    EDIT I mean to say, the Church's stance is determined by the Pope's interpretation of these things. You may say that God's word is plain, but don't jump the gun ie espouse something before the Pope does.
  2. London
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 00:47
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Since it's so off-topic, I'll desist after one more question so I can get some understanding of your stance: do you also believe that single and/or unmarried people shouldn't be allowed to adopt children?
    I've answered this before - no, I do not believe they should be allowed to adopt children.
  3. London
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 00:51
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Through interpretation of Scripture and Tradition?
    EDIT I mean to say, the Church's stance is determined by the Pope's interpretation of these things. You may say that God's word is plain, but don't jump the gun ie espouse something before the Pope does.
    That wasn't very clear. Could you elaborate?
  4. Not Kansas
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 01:24
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    That wasn't very clear. Could you elaborate?
    The Pope et al interpret the "word of God" for the flock.
  5. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 03:032 edits
    Actually, getting back to Genesis 19 for a moment, I have always thought it an interesting continuation of the geneology of the faithful servants to God. Let us put this into perspective, with regard to the "sins of the father".

From Cains loins came a great line of sinners. Truely immoral individuals, rebuking God.

On the converse, look at Lot. Debate the morality of his actions if you will, but one can not deny his obediane to God and those he came from. His daughters had to get him piss drunk to have the incest, as it specifically says he was unaware of it happening, and for that matter, does not say that he ever come to know of it at all! So, our man Lot never in his life intentionally did anything to displease God. Rather furthers the concept of inheriting the sins of the father.

As I mentioned above, not one person in Cains lineage came to be a faithful servant of God. If you follow the geneology, you see that untill the lines of Seth and Cain meet, the pattern does not break. The wicked beget the wicked, and the holy beget the holy. When the bloodlines meet, only then do we see the children taking a different path from that of their father.

Here is Lots lineage.

Adam beget Seth
    Seth beget Enosh
    Enosh beget Cainan
    Cainan beget Mahalalel
    Mahalalel beget Jared
    Jared beget Enoch
    Enoch beget Methuselah
    Methuselah beget Lamech
    Lamech beget Noah
    Noah beget Shem
    Shem beget Arphaxad
    Arphaxad beget Salah
    Salah beget Eber
    Eber beget Peleg
    Peleg beget Reu
    Reu beget Serug
    Serug beget Nahor
    Nahor beget Terah
    Terah beget Haran
    Haran beget Lot

So there you have it. I would also note that Lot is the nephew of Abraham (or Abram). So it does "run in the family". 😀
    Just thought it might be interesting to know that the person in question here is the twentieth in the line of faithful servants to God since the creation of man.

.......who said those parts with the geneology was boring? 😉 😀
  6. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 03:18
    Originally posted by eagles54
    This chapter typifies for me why it's difficult to take much of the Bible seriously.

Two girls (among many interesting themes) get Dad trashed on successive evenings and bed him?

I'm not sure what teaching incest points toward.
    This is not a lesson in incest eagy. It is a recounting of what certain people did. People do do weird things, back then, just as they do today.
  7. London
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 09:45
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    The Pope et al interpret the "word of God" for the flock.
    In a sense, yes. But they do so in a framework established by Tradition. Some matters have no leeway whatsoever (infallible dogmatic proclamations, for instance), while others might have quite a bit of leeway (liturgies, organisation of religious orders etc.)
  8. redbridge/southamptn
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 15:52
    how can 1 sum up in just 4 sentences a very wide subject sum not al inter related just take a lok at the diferant subjects 4 gods sake
    however the 1st part is al about how we must not get involved in homoism & y we must kep away from unatural desires. however gods comandments r not consistent in 8/10 he breaks them or lets others break them so who realy nose wat the hel he wants at any given time it wod apear
    07859344451/02380909557/sj-ewj5@hotmail.co.uk

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree