Getting a vision or a dream canonized

Getting a vision or a dream canonized

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
28 Mar 12
1 edit

If someone were to have a dream or vision similar to the one[s] that gave rise to the Book of Revelation, how would they go about getting it added to the New Testament canon?

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
28 Mar 12

by starting a new religion and calling it mormonism.

F

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
by starting a new religion and calling it mormonism.
Sorry if my OP was not clear. I had the conventional canon of books included in the Bible in mind - the 27 books that are recognized by almost all Christian traditions as constituting the New Testament. How would one go about adding a second "Revelation' type book, what would be the requirements and obstacles, how long might it take etc.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
If someone were to have a dream or vision similar to the one[s] that gave rise to the Book of Revelation, how would they go about getting it added to the New Testament canon?
It would not happen with God's blessing. If one added to the scrolls of the bible it would be a dangerous thing for them to do.

Revelation 22:18-19
Good News Translation (GNT)

18 I, John, solemnly warn everyone who hears the prophetic words of this book: if any add anything to them, God will add to their punishment the plagues described in this book.19 And if any take anything away from the prophetic words of this book, God will take away from them their share of the fruit of the tree of life and of the Holy City, which are described in this book.
Cross references:Revelation 22:18 : Rev 22:18; Deut 4:2; Rev 12:32;

F

Moves
28 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
It would not happen with God's blessing. If one added to the scrolls of the bible it would be a dangerous thing for them to do.
Well I am asking, how would one go about adding a book to the canon. So, it would need God's blessing - how would that be ascertained? What else? What would be the procedure that would result in the extra book being accepted throughout Christendom?

F

Moves
28 Mar 12

Revelation 22:18-19
Good News Translation (GNT)

18 I, John, solemnly warn everyone who hears the prophetic words of this book: if any add anything to them, God will add to their punishment the plagues described in this book....
All well and good, but this quote comes from Revelation itself, and Revelation was not added to the canon until 400 or so years after Jesus is said to have died.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
Well I am asking, how would one go about adding a book to the canon. So, it would need God's blessing - how would that be ascertained? What else? What would be the procedure that would result in the extra book being accepted throughout Christendom?
Well the Bible is complete for us now. All that we need to know is there or else God would have added or would keep adding if it were necassary. If he thought it needed to be added to then he would let us know in a way that there would be no doubt to any human that has an interest in it.
If some individual came out of the blue an said he had something to add to it, he better have more then enough proof that all would have no doubt about. But that will not happen in this system.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
All well and good, but this quote comes from Revelation itself, and Revelation was not added to the canon until 400 or so years after Jesus is said to have died.
What do the years between Revelation and the other inspired books in the Bible have to do with it?

F

Moves
28 Mar 12

If [God] thought it needed to be added to then he would let us know in a way that there would be no doubt to any human that has an interest in it.
If some individual came out of the blue an said he had something to add to it, he better have more then enough proof that all would have no doubt about.
How might He "let us know" and what would be "more than enough proof"?

F

Moves
28 Mar 12

What do the years between Revelation and the other inspired books in the Bible have to do with it?
Revelation was not added to the canon until about 400 AD. My OP is about a similar vision-based book being added to the canon in about 2012 AD

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_canon

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
Revelation was not added to the canon until about 400 AD. My OP is about a similar vision-based book being added to the canon in about 2012 AD
For better or for worse, the canon appears to be closed. Martin Luther himself doubted the authenticity of Revelation, but unfortunately it's still there.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by rwingett
For better or for worse, the canon appears to be closed. Martin Luther himself doubted the authenticity of Revelation, but unfortunately it's still there.
HalleluYah !!!

F

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by rwingett
Yes, I am aware of this, for most intents and purposes. The OP however asks how one would go about adding a book to the canon. If we accept - for the sake of this thread - that the books are inspired by God and are present in the canon because it is His will, then surely He would not be thwarted by stuff like 'it's just the way things are' or 'no can do in the present system' within Christendom?

F

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_canon
How would the author(s) of a new apocalyptic book based on a dream or vision go about getting it included the New Testament canon? Any thoughts on this?