Getting a vision or a dream canonized

Getting a vision or a dream canonized

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
Yes, I am aware of this, for most intents and purposes. The OP however asks how one would go about adding a book to the canon. If we accept - for the sake of this thread - that the books are inspired by God and are present in the canon because it is His will, then surely He would not be thwarted by stuff like 'it's just the way things are' or 'no can do in the present system' within Christendom?
The canon is closed. No more books. There is no reason to believe that 'god's will' is thereby being thwarted.

w

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
If someone were to have a dream or vision similar to the one[s] that gave rise to the Book of Revelation, how would they go about getting it added to the New Testament canon?
That's easy.

1. Get a shovel.
2. Dig up the graves of the former members of the council of Nicea.
3. Bring them back to life.
4. Have them vote on it. 😕

F

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by rwingett
The canon is closed. No more books. There is no reason to believe that 'god's will' is thereby being thwarted.
Then you have no real need to contribute to this thread, I think. The question and topic in the OP is pretty clear. 🙂

F

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by whodey
That's easy.

1. Get a shovel.
A serious answer to the OP question would be more interesting whodey.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by whodey
That's easy.

1. Get a shovel.
The Council of Nicaea did not decide on the final canon. It wasn't 'set in stone' until later.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
Then you have no real need to contribute to this thread, I think. The question and topic in the OP is pretty clear. 🙂
Do you really think you're going to get any other answer?

F

Moves
28 Mar 12
1 edit

Do you really think you're going to get any other answer?
Sure. Why not? Your unwillingness to enter into the spirit of the OP is not necessarily the be all and end all of a discussion. If a new book with a pressing case for inclusion were to appear, would its canonization perhaps happen due to the Catholic church leading the way by way of its centralized system of governance? Or would it need to be handled by some sort of high level ecumenical commission? How would its proponents establish that its legitimacy equalled the books currently in the canon? I think it'is a potentially interesting question, even if you don't. 🙂

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
Sure. Why not? Your unwillingness to enter into the spirit of the OP is not necessarily the be all and end all of a discussion. If a new book with a pressing case for inclusion were to appear, would its canonization perhaps happen due to the Catholic church leading the way by way of its centralized system of governance? Or would it need to be handled by some sor ...[text shortened]... urrently in the canon? I think it'is a potentially interesting question, even if you don't. 🙂
It's a non-question. I don't know for certain, but I'm sure the Catholic church has no provision for the inclusion of more books because it is opposed to the inclusion of more books. There is no method in any mainstream Christian denomination for the inclusion of more books as I'm almost certain that they're sure that no more books will, or can, appear. But I will bow out of this thread now so you can try to badger someone else into giving an answer that does not exist.

F

Moves
28 Mar 12
1 edit

It's a non-question.
Well then, why not just write something on other threads?

But I will bow out of this thread now so you can try to badger someone else into giving an answer that does not exist.

Please do - you don't have to give an answer - or post on this thread at all - if you don't want to. 🙂

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Mar 12
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
All well and good, but this quote comes from Revelation itself, and Revelation was not added to the canon until 400 or so years after Jesus is said to have died.
I think you need a formal Church meeting e.g. the Catholic meeting in the 70's where they liberalized the Church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Vatican_Council

Revelations may not have been "official" until ~400 AD but it was written before 100 AD.

Of course each branch of Christianity will accept it (or not) seperately.

F

Moves
28 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I don't think that's true. Revelation was written before 100 AD.
What's not true? It was not added to the canon until 400 or so years after Jesus is said to have died. You think it was added in 100 AD?

edit: you changed your post after I responded?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
What's not true? It was not added to the canon until 400 or so years after Jesus is said to have died. You think it was added in 100 AD?

edit: you changed your post after I responded?
I misunderstood what you wrote and editted my post to be more clear.

EDIT - I started editting before you posted but you posted before I did.

F

Moves
28 Mar 12
2 edits

I misunderstood what you wrote and editted my post to be more clear.
You editted it after I had already responded?

edit: you've done it again: you've editted a post after I have responded.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
You editted it after I had already responded?
I pushed the edit button and was looking at the editting box before you posted, but I spent time in the edit screen and therefore you pressed post before I did.

F

Moves
28 Mar 12
1 edit

I pushed the edit button and was looking at the editting box before you posted, but I spent time in the edit screen and therefore you pressed post before I did.
Why not just post normally if you decide you made a mistake or if you change your mind?