1. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 12:391 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Which Bible character would you say most severely got the shaft?

Here are some candidates:
    Jesus
    Job
    Isaac
    Eve
    Mary
    Joseph
    Jonah
    Pharoah
    Noah
    Moses
    Onan
    Job and i would include Judas !!!

Anyway...i thought this thread was about the Samuel L Jackson film !!!!!
  2. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 12:58
    Originally posted by rwingett
    *Ba da bing*

Or not. An immaculate conception (I would think) has a conspicuous lack of "shafts."

So we could say that Mary got the shaft in that she had a pregnancy without ever having the pleasures associated with initiating one. This can be seen to have had a lasting affect on the societal perception of female sexuality for centuries to come.
    The concept of the Immaculate Conception is about how Mary was conceived, not how Jesus was conceived.
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 13:05
    Originally posted by reader1107
    The concept of the Immaculate Conception is about how Mary was conceived, not how Jesus was conceived.
    This is news to me. Say some more.
  4. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 13:21
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    This is news to me. Say some more.
    I can tell you what is taught, even though I suspect it will spawn at least two or three more threads from the Doc. It presupposes the divinity of Jesus, and a whole lot of other things that all go together. As you read, feel free to mentally insert the word IF as needed.

Jesus is/was both fully human and fully divine. Humans are born with the stain of original sin. Jesus was born of a human, Mary. It would not be appropriate (that's not quite the word I'm looking for, but I've only had a few sips of coffee) for the divine Being to be born of a human marked with this stain. And thus the Immaculate Conception -- the teaching that Mary was conceived without this stain of Original Sin. It does not have anything to do with whether or not sex was involved in her creation or her son's, which is what many people tend to believe when they hear the phrase.

I will stop there and let others carry the torch further.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 13:40
    I can tell you what is taught, even though I suspect it will spawn at least two or three more threads from the Doc. It presupposes the divinity of Jesus, and a whole lot of other things that all go together. As you read, feel free to mentally insert the word IF as needed.

Jesus is/was both fully human and fully divine. Humans are born with the stain ...[text shortened]... ieve when they hear the phrase.

That's a nice can of worms.
  6. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 13:46
    That's a nice can of worms.
    The plot thickens, once you add Marian apparitions, etc.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 13:50

Jesus is/was both fully human and fully divine. Humans are born with the stain ...[text shortened]... ieve when they hear the phrase.

Nobody cares a fig about any of that gibberish. Was there sex involved, or was there not? If not, then the popular conception stands, regardless of how the church tries to divert your attention elsewhere.
  8. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 13:52
    Nobody cares a fig about any of that gibberish. Was there sex involved, or was there not? If not, then the popular conception stands, regardless of how the church tries to divert your attention elsewhere.
    I'm talking about the words. "Immaculate Conception" means that Mary was conceived without the stain of original sin. It does not mean that Jesus was born without semen being involved.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 13:55
    I'm talking about the words. "Immaculate Conception" means that Mary was conceived without the stain of original sin. It does not mean that Jesus was born without semen being involved.
    For what it's worth, your point is taken.
  10. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 14:10
    For what it's worth, your point is taken.
    Now we can resume discussion of whether or not Mary got the shaft in any or all senses of the word. 😉
  11. CA, USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 14:22
    Judas
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 15:241 edit

It would not be appropriate (that's not quite the word I'm looking for, but I've only had a few sips of coffee) for the divine Being to be born of a human marked with this stain. And thus the Immaculate Conception -- the teaching that Mary was conceived without this stain of Original Sin.
    Well, one might be tempted to ask, why couldn't Jesus have just been immaculately conceived as easily as Mary was, since that sufficed for her to be free of the stain of original sin?

If you reject this, and assert that you have to go back one step in the chain, why stop at one link? Why didn't Mary's mother, or her grandmother, need to be immaculately conceived?
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 15:45
    Originally posted by jammer
    Judas
    We agree then Jammer !!!
  14. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 18:401 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Well, one might be tempted to ask, why couldn't Jesus have just been immaculately conceived as easily as Mary was, since that sufficed for her to be free of the stain of original sin?

If you reject this, and assert that you have to go back one step in the chain, why stop at one link? Why didn't Mary's mother, or her grandmother, need to be immaculately conceived?
    agreed
  15. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 10:39
    Onan had the shaft and got the shaft.
    Lot evidently served as God's tool in shafting both his daughters.

http://www.wga.hu/art/m/massys/jan/lotdaugh.jpg

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree