1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    03 May '17 23:241 edit
    When do you give up hope. At some point we have to give up our losses, but when? And what do you hold onto next?

Do you see I ask not about gods, but about people.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 May '17 00:321 edit
    Originally posted by apathist
    When do you give up hope. At some point we have to give up our losses, but when? And what do you hold onto next?

Giving up hope is like leaving a job. The best way to quit a job is when you know you have another waiting for you.

Giving up hope is better when you know that a new hope is there waiting for you.

When I saw that there was a perfect Man who could be my Savior and was alive and available, then it was alright to give up the old hope and stand on the new.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    04 May '17 06:021 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    Giving up hope is like leaving a job. The best way to quit a job is when you know you have another waiting for you. ...
    Good enough, except what if another is not known to be waiting for you?

Btw, I specifically said we're not talking about gods here, but you had no self-control at all. Could it be you suffer from a mental disease. Every religion in every culture at all points in time had their share of fanatics. It's a human thing.
  4. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 May '17 06:04

Btw, I specifically said we're not talking about gods here, but you had no self-control at all. Could it be you suffer from a mental disease. Every religion in every culture at all points in time had their share of fanatics. It's a human thing.
    Interestingly enough, the lunatic at times thinks that everyone else is insane,
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 May '17 07:33

The polarised thinking often expressed in this forum is quite interesting. I would rather have my hope in what turned out to be an imaginary benevolent God, than real narcotics.
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 May '17 07:40
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Interestingly enough, the lunatic at times thinks that everyone else is insane,
    So at times, you think everyone else is insane?
  7. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    04 May '17 07:53
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 May '17 13:372 edits

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then obviously, you're in bad shape.

Btw, I specifically said we're not talking about gods here,
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know. But I did say "perfect Man". So to meet you somewhat halfway by mentioning the perfect humanity side of Jesus.

but you had no self-control at all. Could it be you suffer from a mental disease.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like you were the one closer to mental problems.

I spoke of a perfect Man. Well, you do have a person whose personality was so strong that in the Western world history is divided between Before Jesus arrived and During the time of His influence ; B.C. and A.D..

What do you think might be the effect on history of the life of a perfect human being ?

Every religion in every culture at all points in time had their share of fanatics. It's a human thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some comfort can be derived in blanket generalizations. Let's say that all chess players are as eccentric and paranoid as Bobby Fischer. Better stay away from chess.

Ah, that feels good ... good rationale to entirely dismiss chess as not being anything worthwhile.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 May '17 14:351 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    Every religion in every culture at all points in time had their share of fanatics. It's a human thing.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some comfort can be derived in blanket generalizations. Let's say that all chess players are as eccentric and paranoid as Bobby Fischer. Better stay away fr ...[text shortened]...
    Ah, that feels good ... good rationale to entirely dismiss chess as not being anything worthwhile.
    Do you derive comfort sir from the blanket generalisation that atheists reject God so they can lead sinful lives, rather than being actually unconvinced of His existence?
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    04 May '17 15:15
    Originally posted by divegeester
    ... I would rather have my hope in what turned out to be an imaginary benevolent God, than real narcotics.
    The poppy has a long and interesting history with people!Powerful, useful, dangerous. There are other drugs as well that are known to spark and fan the flames of spirituality.
  11. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:35
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Do you derive comfort sir from the blanket generalisation that atheists reject God so they can lead sinful lives, rather than being actually unconvinced of His existence?
    In my observation, most atheists reject the idea of God in part because they reject what God is about--as described in Scripture. Taken further, they reject what God commands, including what God forbids. For example, many atheists reject God because God condemns the homosexual lifestyle. "No loving God would forbid someone loving another." Right? This is where we get the idea--again, at least in part--that many atheists reject God because they feel like people should be able to do things that God calls sinful.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    04 May '17 17:10
    Originally posted by Tom Wolsey
    In my observation, most atheists reject the idea of God in part because they reject what God is about--as described in Scripture. Taken further, they reject what God commands, including what God forbids. For example, many atheists reject God because God condemns the homosexual lifestyle. "No loving God would forbid someone loving another." Right? This i ...[text shortened]... atheists reject God because they feel like people should be able to do things that God calls sinful.
    Atheists merely believe in one less god than you do. Your rationalization doesn't work.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    04 May '17 17:22
    The upper bound for gods believed in is in the trillions. People today who claim they are in direct communication with any of them are known as nuts.
  14. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    04 May '17 18:07
    Atheists merely believe in one less god than you do. Your rationalization doesn't work.
    I wasn't rationalizing. I was demonstrating where the idea comes from that atheist reject God in favor of sin. The agnostic view is reasonable. If you haven't seen sufficient, compelling evidence for God, then it only makes sense you would reserve judgment. The atheist view is fallacious.
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 May '17 18:07
    Originally posted by Tom Wolsey
    In my observation, most atheists reject the idea of God in part because they reject what God is about--as described in Scripture. Taken further, they reject what God commands, including what God forbids. For example, many atheists reject God because God condemns the homosexual lifestyle. "No loving God would forbid someone loving another." Right? Thi ...[text shortened]... ists reject God because they feel like people should be able to do things that God calls sinful.
    No Sir. Atheists reject God because they don't believe He exists. That's it. Finito. Why would I care what a God i don't believe in condemns or doesn't condemn?

Everything else you wrote is just for your own benefit and based on your disbelief that someone could genuinely be unconvinced by the existence of your chosen deity.

In short, I don't know what you've been observing, but it certainly wasn't atheists. (Maybe raccoons?)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree