1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 13:22
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe the soul is something like the spirit, which is also invisible to the natural eye. The soul of a person is the immaterial characteristics that makes me RJHinds and you Agerg. The soul of a pet dog is different from the soul of a pet calf, but each have the ability to show love, fear, pain or anger by using the physical body. Plants do not have souls.
    can you give some examples of 'immaterial characteristics' that come from the soul?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 15:371 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So the part of my tree James that makes my it James is not a soul?

And if you removed my soul, I would no longer be twhitehead? Who would I be? Would you still be able to see me? Why would I no be twhitehead?
    You would not be able to act like twhitehead. However, your body may still look like twhitehead, but it would be like an empty shell without the twhitehead nut inside. A demon could possess your body and then you would act like that demon spirit. 😏
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 15:49
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    can you give some examples of 'immaterial characteristics' that come from the soul?
    How about compassion and love or anger and hate?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 16:11
    How about compassion and love or anger and hate?
    Well animals show compassion, love, anger and hate also.

Where is your proof we have souls? You ever see one? You ever see one leave a dead body?

I think souls are just another construct of the religious set to make sure they have a hook on your obedience. "You don't go to church, get baptized, you will lose your soul and burn in hell forever''.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 16:151 edit
    You would not be able to act like twhitehead. However, your body may still look like twhitehead, but it would be like an empty shell without the twhitehead nut inside. A demon could possess your body and then you would act like that demon spirit. 😏
    Do souls get drunk!? Do souls trip after taking magic mushrooms? Do souls become stupid if their containing vessel (aka a human) gets kicked in the head!??

How exactly do souls permit us to act like ourselves?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 19:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well animals show compassion, love, anger and hate also.

Where is your proof we have souls? You ever see one? You ever see one leave a dead body?

I think souls are just another construct of the religious set to make sure they have a hook on your obedience. "You don't go to church, get baptized, you will lose your soul and burn in hell forever''.
    Bah Humbug again. Yeah, many animals have souls too, numbnuts.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 19:39
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Do souls get drunk!? Do souls trip after taking magic mushrooms? Do souls become stupid if their containing vessel (aka a human) gets kicked in the head!??

How exactly do souls permit us to act like ourselves?
    God knows all the details. 😏
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 19:57
    That may be, but God is not taking part in the debate, so can you attempt an answer to the question?
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 19:58
    Good for God ... but since its you folks professing that we are defined in terms of these souls, and God seems to be a bit shy these days, the onus is upon you and other theists to provide the details instead.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 20:381 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Good for God ... but since its you folks professing that we are defined in terms of these souls, and God seems to be a bit shy these days, the onus is upon you and other theists to provide the details instead.
    Maybe God does not want all the details to be known yet. They haven't been revealed to me. So I can't say. 😏
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 20:501 edit
    Maybe God does not want all the details to be known yet. They haven't been revealed to me. So I can't say. 😏
    How about sharing the details that *have* been revealed to you then - or is the case that all you can say is that it's immaterial and is in some way the person underlying some person - a set of details no more informative than saying a soul is the magic part of a person.
  12. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 02:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So prove we have souls. Without Veda's.
    Consciousness is proof of the soul.
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 02:19
    What is the unmanifest baby?
    1 week after conception the baby does not look like a baby, and looks more like a walnut.

But we all know that this walnut is on its way to becoming a baby...........don't we?

This is what is the unmanifest baby.

Its there but it isn't there.
  14. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 02:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Not bad, until you hit the reincarnation pothole, then it all went to hell.
    How did you come to be ................in this world?

Answer..........You incarnated into the womb of your mother at the precise time of conception.

This how you came to exist in this world.

And when you die you shall incarnate again into another womb........according to your Karma.

When I say you.............I mean the soul which is truly you.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 04:33
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Consciousness is proof of the soul.
    As a working definition, and since the various theists are somewhat coy about giving one, I'm going to define the soul to be a non-physical entity which somehow contains the essence of who we are and may exist independently of the body.

There are two possibilities, either we have souls or we do not. If we do not have souls then as a matter of observation consciousness does not depend on having a soul. On the other hand, if we do have souls then because of the way I have defined soul consciousness depends on them.

Since we only have the observation of our own minds I do not think that they prove that there is such a thing as soul. If you insist on a soul being that which allows consciousness then the definition of soul becomes just that. But then the soul is in danger of being an identical concept to the mind and therefore having a physical basis, which is not what I think most theists are talking about. I therefore do not think that you have shown that souls exist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree